Shipping Bike

Kringle

Dave, do you know of a trucking outfit that I could get to do this and how much do you think it would cost? I would ride the bugger down there but it's only a Honda 150 RR and that would be crazy in my opinion. I wouldn't go on any highway ride on anything less than a 600cc bike. The Honda will do 140k plus but at that speed it's just too bloody light. Getting closer to getting the Kawi 900 going and then will do the long hauls on that. :o

Cheers,

Kringle

Kring, take the bike by train and maybe have the buyer meet you at Surat Thani station.

The cost for haulage on a train is probably about the same as what it would cost you in petrol riding it there. No doubt many more times cheaper too, than paying for someone to truck it there.

You're missing out on a fun ride!

I rode my 150 two stroke Phantom around southern Thailand two years ago, and it was great! I know it's got bigger tyres than your bike, but still...

I also used the train to transport the thing from Hualomphong to Thung Song, Nakkon Si Thammarat, and the deal was this:

There are no ramps on the platforms, so you and the porters have to lift it up onto the carriage.

They wouldn't let me send the bike alone - I had to travel on the train too.

The bike was a "big bike", so I had to pay around a thousand baht for it. And give the porters who were travelling on the luggage carriage 50 bt for ropes, but at least they didn't scratch it!

The train would have left Thung Song station, with my bike, if I hadn't run madly down the platform yelling at them to wait. After 15 hours of travel, the porters had forgotten the bike was getting off there. Be warned...

Again no ramps, so you gotta lift it off - carefully. A Thai friend did the same with their 100cc Wave, and it ended up with a damaged rim that had to be replaced, cos they didn't notice at the station that it had been whacked on the side of the carriage.

Hope that helps...

Ask a Thai.

A Thai student of mine (also a friend) moved from Phuket to BKK - and had me pick him up at the shipping agent. He paid about B400 to have it sent. The shipper even put protective wrap on the bike. It was just a regular shipper - tons of Thais were there - most moving to/from Phuket for work and shipping their few possesions.

I'd ask him for you but have lost touch.