Places To Visit In Issan?

Bkkwalk

Several years ago I visited Nong Khai. It was a nice quiet little town. I had best Thai food there that I experienced in all of Thailand. It is right on the Mekong River and across the river a short distance away is Vientiane, the capital of Laos. You can obtain a short term visa to travel to Laos. You can fly into Udon Thani and take a bus to Nong Khai.

GT

Several years ago I visited Nong Khai. It was a nice quiet little town. I had best Thai food there that I experienced in all of Thailand. It is right on the Mekong River and across the river a short distance away is Vientiane, the capital of Laos. You can obtain a short term visa to travel to Laos. You can fly into Udon Thani and take a bus to Nong Khai.

GT

If you are there i suggest you visit nearby Loei and Chiang Khang also...

Khon Kaen is central Issan and is a good place to start as it is easy to access all other areas from there.

Depending on when you are coming is another point to take i consideration for anybody else there is the annual E-saan fair starting in the University grounds on the 5th running for about ten days,a good few hours can be had at the fair.

Also from the 29th November the annual Silk Fair is on in the City,very busy and a massive market for ten days around the provincial buildings.

Add Loy Krathong and the Kings birthday celebrations it is a good time of the year to visit Khon Kaen

Edited by MrRed

Most of the places recommended are good. Chiang Khan has lost of its rustic charm as it has become boutiqued out and is stuffed with group bus tours from Bangkok and when there are no groups a lot of the hotels and restaurants are closed, still if you haven't been there its worth going once. If you are going there from Nongkhai its a 200k trip and about 150k is along the Mekhong which makes the journey more interesting thhan the destination. Ban Chiang heritage site is good (if you like museums and are into archeological digs). Ideally the best way to get around Issan or anywhere else outside the big cities in Thailand, is by motorcycle, nothing fancy a 100 to 125 cc will do. There are a lot of quirky roadside attractions, small farmer's markets scenic views etc. There is not a lot in terms of world class tourist attractions out here but if you know how to make your own fun or like visiting National Parks there is plenty to keep your attention. Personally I like Dansai in Loei province, reminds me of what Pai was like 25 years ago and close to Phu Reua park. Have a good trip!

There's a very interesting "extreme sports resort" about an hour from Udon Thani. They have skydiving and loads of other fun stuff, plus a really nice chilled out place to stay. Have a look at www.thaiskydiving.com.  Nongkhai is very nice too and if you like exploring then head to Phu Pha Lek national park, with some lovely walks and untouched temples to explore. Not a white face in sight!