Suvarnabhumi Airport 'Will Be Safe'

webfact

we live in Nakon Sawn and we have had this and still havin this since june....we are now starting to rebuild our lives .....the water as come to bangkok and is still coming your way....please wake up....it is not going to by pass any sandbags...or flood barriers..when it hits..it finds its own route and leaves total devastation behind

June or July?

we live in Nakon Sawn and we have had this and still havin this since june....we are now starting to rebuild our lives .....the water as come to bangkok and is still coming your way....please wake up....it is not going to by pass any sandbags...or flood barriers..when it hits..it finds its own route and leaves total devastation behind

Wise words from this poster. Take note and prepare for the worst.

""If the overflowing floodwater is not higher than 1 metre, I believe our 3.5-metre-high embankment can prevent it from entering the airport," Somchai said."

I find this statement alarming for a couple reasons...firstly, when he says "I believe" he's staing his opinion, not fact...wouldn't it be a matter of fact that the embankment would hold, not opinion? It sounds like he's trying to cover his ass by saying "I believe". Also, I'm pretty good at basic math and I cannot see why a 1 meter flood would threaten a 3.5 meter embankment...he said he "believes" the 3.5 meter embankment would prevent a 1 meter flood...<deleted>?...wouldn't a 3.5 meter embankment hold back a 3.5 meter flood? I'm not Thai so I'm obviously not as smart as him because i don't understand what he's saying.

With flood water 1 meter deep over 10 km in all directions and flowing in the same direction, then you might find as soon as the water comes to a flood barrier, the water level might rise a little. The water keeps coming from 10km back and your 1 meter flood front will very quickly reach 3.5 meters and then over flow. The water then stops rising until it reaches another barrier.

Thanks for that. :)

""If the overflowing floodwater is not higher than 1 metre, I believe our 3.5-metre-high embankment can prevent it from entering the airport," Somchai said."

I find this statement alarming for a couple reasons...firstly, when he says "I believe" he's staing his opinion, not fact...wouldn't it be a matter of fact that the embankment would hold, not opinion? It sounds like he's trying to cover his ass by saying "I believe". Also, I'm pretty good at basic math and I cannot see why a 1 meter flood would threaten a 3.5 meter embankment...he said he "believes" the 3.5 meter embankment would prevent a 1 meter flood...<deleted>?...wouldn't a 3.5 meter embankment hold back a 3.5 meter flood? I'm not Thai so I'm obviously not as smart as him because i don't understand what he's saying.

With flood water 1 meter deep over 10 km in all directions and flowing in the same direction, then you might find as soon as the water comes to a flood barrier, the water level might rise a little. The water keeps coming from 10km back and your 1 meter flood front will very quickly reach 3.5 meters and then over flow. The water then stops rising until it reaches another barrier.

Not true in case of Suwannabhumi. It's a relatively minor obstacle which the flood water can go around. This naturally depends how fast the water is moving, but I doubt the water level would get even 10cm higher when hitting to the barrier.

Water is lazy and will follow the easiest way downwards.

I'm flying into BBK Sat, hoping there are no issues, very difficult to tell anything from the news releases.

Hi Smedly, mate, if you could post your experiences here that would help me (and maybe other travellers) as I fly in a few days later.

Thanks in Advance

Hoping to travel to Swampy from Aranya/Sakaeo area on Sunday.

Would appreciate if anyone has recent experience of this route via Chachongsao ?

Cheers

Did this trip last week, no problem. Go past Phanat Nikhom, onto Highway 7 at Chonburi and straight up to Swampy. However, situation is changing on day to day basis so good luck.

Hoping to travel to Swampy from Aranya/Sakaeo area on Sunday.

Would appreciate if anyone has recent experience of this route via Chachongsao ?

Cheers

Did this trip last week, no problem. Go past Phanat Nikhom, onto Highway 7 at Chonburi and straight up to Swampy. However, situation is changing on day to day basis so good luck.

Thanks Gweiloman.

I worried that I was totally out of touch with the situation. Hopefully i can still make the trip.

Not true in case of Suwannabhumi. It's a relatively minor obstacle which the flood water can go around. This naturally depends how fast the water is moving, but I doubt the water level would get even 10cm higher when hitting to the barrier.

Water is lazy and will follow the easiest way downwards.

As obstacles go, Navanakorn and all the other industrial estates were even smaller. The whole pattern of floods around SVB has changed enormously in the last 15 years. I don't think there are any estimates of how quickly the water will pass anywhere down there. It is all academic whether SVB gets inundated, if the roads leading to it are all under water anyway. There are some raised highways around there obviously, there are also plenty of routes that are only a few feet above the surrounding areas.

The 8,000-acre (32 km2) plot of land occupied by the airport was purchased in 1973,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport

It may just wash over it like it wasn't there.

Anyone come through ole' Swampy recently?

I'm flying in on Tuesday.

Same … any one taken a taxi from Swampy to Sukhumvit recently.

At this point in time, there is no problems at the airport or getting to Sukhumvit.

Update please if you would be so kind :jap: