Z1000

rizla

While in Korat today, popped in to see Dom, Owner Manager of MPC kawasaki korat....

They had a delivery of 2 z1`s last week, one sold . and the other is on demo..didn`t have a ride on the demo as no gear with me at the time..

But, had a sit on and look around it..it didn`t light my fire, small and boring was my impression and not my cup of tea..600.000 bhat with no abs and 138hp..not that great value me thinks...BUT each too their own, i for one was disapointed really. Not sure they will sell too many of them now that the ducati mid range bike is in the mix.

He did mention that he expects the Ninja 1000 to come to these shores( and it will have the abs)

I was at a bike dealer in Boston a few months ago and the Japanese liter bikes are only 1-2000 USD less than the Italians.

I love the look of the Z1000, but personally I'd buy an Aprilia or Ducati over any Japanese bike for that small of a difference.

Sure the Japanese bikes are more reliable but most people don't buy big sportbikes as rational daily transport, they are toys.

I find Italian toys far better looking and desireable.

Unless the Japanese drop their prices, I foresee the Italians absorbing more of their marketshare.

Design, price, and lack of ABS makes the Z1000 uninteresting to me too. The new 2012 ER-6n looks way better IMO. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. The Ninja 1000 looks awesome in pictures, would be nice.

Ducati looks to be expanding aggressively in Asia so that will be interesting to see. They have the best design and they seem to be the most ambitious in terms of grabbing market share over here.

I like the Z1000, but if I was offered the Kawi at 600k and the Ducati at 400k it would be an easy choice for me to make and I'd buy my first Ducati.

Similarly put the non-ABS Z1000 next to the 2012 ABS ER6n which is about 350k baht cheaper and I'd have a really tough time buying the Z1000.

On a side note, I always wonder about having so much weight and power in a bike with no fairing. It's not comfortable to go fast for long periods so it's not that great for touring, and it's going to be a bit of a handful in the city. Really nice bike, but I'm not sure who/what it's aimed at.

• 3 months later...

I like the Z1000, but if I was offered the Kawi at 600k and the Ducati at 400k it would be an easy choice for me to make and I'd buy my first Ducati.

Similarly put the non-ABS Z1000 next to the 2012 ABS ER6n which is about 350k baht cheaper and I'd have a really tough time buying the Z1000.

On a side note, I always wonder about having so much weight and power in a bike with no fairing. It's not comfortable to go fast for long periods so it's not that great for touring, and it's going to be a bit of a handful in the city. Really nice bike, but I'm not sure who/what it's aimed at.

seen one of these z1000's today in the car wash and its a fine looking machine ,it looks like a raging bull

cant figure out why they thought 15 litres was enough of a gas tank capacity though

youtube review says it only 90 miles on the highway before the gas light starts flashing

that alone would put me off buying one

My local dealer has sold 20+ Z1000 this year so far....

Not the best value for money bike out there (795 springs to mind) but the Z1000 does have 50 odd ponies more.

On the flip side if i had that kind of money i would dig deeper for a bigger Ducati monster / Streetfighter (going along with the naked theme) or an 848Evo mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I like the z1000- if I had the money to buy it I would...

So what if you have to fill often on the highway, PTT has 7eleven so a quick rest is always nice...

The black version is really nice--

Any clue if they will bring the smaller z750 out here? or suzuki with their GSR? or something like that?

How much is the Triumph?

So what if you have to fill often on the highway

i dont like stopping for gas /those were highway miles so around town its going to get even less miles per tank

Yes,The black one is stunning ! One of the best looking bikes ive seen in bkk lately :)

i dont like stopping for gas /those were highway miles so around town its going to get even less miles per tank

Yes,The black one is stunning ! One of the best looking bikes ive seen in bkk lately smile.png

Good you like Black, cuz that's the only color sold in Thailand :)

Anyway, riding that bike on the highway it's good it needs gas every ~150km or so, because riding a naked superbike like that you'll be wanting to take a break often!

Yes,The black one is stunning ! One of the best looking bikes ive seen in bkk lately smile.png

Good you like Black, cuz that's the only color sold in Thailand smile.png

Anyway, riding that bike on the highway it's good it needs gas every ~150km or so, because riding a naked superbike like that you'll be wanting to take a break often!

i dont think it would suit extended highway cruising anyway ,the er6n is bad enough when its flat out

if it could do 250 or 300kmph i wouldnt want to go there anyway ,might be ok for a rush lying on the tank for a minute

but that face on the tank position is not how id like to be stuck on a long journey.....

I don't think you can compare the Z1000 to the M795 just completely different bikes. I had a test ride on the Monster yesterday its a step up from the ER6n in terms of speed and noise but not in the same league as the Z1000. I'll put my deposit down on the M795 on Saturday and collect in June licklips.gif

I ordered a 795 a couple of weeks ago. Sure, it's less horses than the Z1000, and a far cry from my Multi with Termi and race ECU, but it's a pleasure to ride.

It feels much smaller and lighter than my 650 Ninja, and handles beautifully. Low end torque is amazing, and quite a tall 1st gear, which is pleasant in the city. I'm 6'2" and it doesn't feel as cramped as the Ninja.

I enjoy riding my wife's 250 Ninja sometimes because it's totally different riding a very light bike that easy to throw around, and the 795 is the closest I've seen to the feel of the 250 with some decent horses!

Cheers.

Big Guns - what's the step up in noise like?

I'm riding a 2012 ER-6N at the moment and I love it more than my old 2010 version. It still sounds like a sewing machine.

I'm very interested in the new Monster.

It sounds pretty good with the stock exhausts although I'm sure the Termi's at 60K THB would improve the sound. I'm no expert but it had a good solid sound to it, certainly not like sewing machine. I had a 2009 ER6n and toyed with the idea of the 2012 ER6n but I fancied something completely different

I don't think you can compare the Z1000 to the M795 just completely different bikes. I had a test ride on the Monster yesterday its a step up from the ER6n in terms of speed and noise but not in the same league as the Z1000. I'll put my deposit down on the M795 on Saturday and collect in June licklips.gif

+1 congrats!!!

I enjoy riding my wife's 250 Ninja sometimes because it's totally different riding a very light bike that easy to throw around, and the 795 is the closest I've seen to the feel of the 250 with some decent horses!

Hmm... 167kg dry weight - nice! A little more than a Ninja 250 but def. less than an ER-6n. It's maybe what 185 wet?

Months of waiting for a Monster, yikes, not good. Hey, at least the 848 Streetfighter is [only :o] 800k, and the next two months will see an awesome bike rolled out for about the same price, per some insiders at the 1199 Panigale roll-out party last Saturday. Was anybody here at the party? It'd be good to connect the TV Usernames with the faces.

Months of waiting for a Monster, yikes, not good. Hey, at least the 848 Streetfighter is [only ohmy.png] 800k, and the next two months will see an awesome bike rolled out for about the same price, per some insiders at the 1199 Panigale roll-out party last Saturday. Was anybody here at the party? It'd be good to connect the TV Usernames with the faces.

Add another 50% to the price of 800,000baht (1,200,000Baht) and that will get you the entry level 1199 (1,298,000 with ABS) :)

Add another 1,100,000Baht to the price of 800,000Baht for the top spec Tricolour 1199s