Flood Offers Lessons Through Observation: Thai Opinion

webfact

VENUS' VISION

Deluge offers lessons through observation

Veena Thoopkrajae

30169259-01.jpg

There are two groups of people I've encountered during the past few weeks.

First are those who are under stress as their homes have been flooded and they have become evacuees. The other group are those who have their eyes glued on TV and computer screens and mobile phones to check the flood situation. Many of them say "bring it on" as they just can't bear the frustration any longer. In short, everyone is as just frustrated as the next person - with or without flood water.

We've got to admit though that even in terms of a disaster like this, we could enrich our knowledge and have our eyes opened wide. I believe I have learned more or less than anyyone from the country's worst flood in five decades. Here are the things I have learned:

Thailand is the world's largest breeder of crocodiles, a home to over 700,000.

Thailand is home to at least 15 beautiful'yet deadly snakes - green mambas from Africa, 13 of them on the loose.

Many Thais have become the late Steve Irwin's crocodile-hunter. I know at least two: snake-catcher Sompop, who offers a free service around the clock, at 089 043-8445, and the "crocBuster" Charoenchai, at 081 607 6332.

Water experts' predictions on TV can beat the ratings of prime-time soap operas.

Cars can float for kilometres and planes can be submerged too.

Many of the aircraft stranded in water at Don Mueang Airport are either retired from service or abandoned; they are not ones that provide service.

Many foreigners thought Survanabhumi Airport was submerged when they saw photos of Don Mueang Airport.

The biggest parking lots are along Bangkok's expressways, U-turn bridges and any elevated roads.

7-eleven shelves can be empty without being looted.

When Thai people fear shortages of food, the first thing they stock up on is instant noodles, as well as drinking water.

People don't stop Facebooking and tweeting even though their houses are flooded.

One fried egg costs Bt10 while a raw egg can be priced at Bt8.

Prince of Songkla University can produce fried rice that can last one month without being frozen, and 5,000 meals have been distributed to flood victims.

Floods can overcome many barriers but can do nothing to one man's love for his ill wife. If you haven't watched the video that makes news host Sorrayuth Suthassanajinda cry, here is the link: http://t.co/MYJ35pDK.

The flood has changed the measurement of wealth. From expensive cars and big houses, now the richer the person has the higher and thicker of row of sandbags.

There are seven industrial estates that have been submerged so far.

The areas located near the river are not necessarily low ground. In Bangkok the highest point is in Klong Toey at the Plai Nern Palace on Rama IV Road.

The opposition leader went holidaying in the Maldives with his family.

Floods can't wash away politics. On the contrary, they have inflamed the political division in the country.

EM (ball) stands for Electrifying Micro-organisms, and they are believed to help treat polluted water.

Volunteering can branch out to all kinds of skills from making EM balls, making life-vests from empty bottles, to cooking food and filling sandbags.

Many people confess they try not to spend too much money so that they can donate more to help flood victims.

Engineers, however, doubt that EM balls are the right solution. A lecturer at Chulalongkorn Unviersity's Engineering Faculty has written some observations and asked people to exercise caution about being entirely dependent on EM balls.

All governments praised His Majesty the King on his advice on flood prevention. In 1995, the King warned of "disaster", called for a "floodway" and suggested road tunnels and more: YouTube/Uv5HO7nA5EQ. Since then, there have been 24 governments.

Social media are like water, and if you filter right, can be usable - just like the information I have learned since the floods hit Thailand.

And as I'm writing, I learn that 25 provinces are still flooded and 145 districts affected. Over 700,000 families are suffering from the floods. The deluge has so far claimed 442 lives and two are still missing.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-05

Good on Khun Abhisit for taking his holiday, I hope he was doubled-up laughing at the shambles created by Yinluck and her gang of rogues.... what did William Wallace say in that Movie.... F-R-E-E-D-O-M.......!

What holiday. My Abhisit has been working 24-7 non stop. Put AV back in charge.

The only possible people dreaming of a dry warn holiday in Duabi is YS. Dream on.

Lessons through observation. Okay. What I am observing (from afar this time) is the lawlessness that is Thailand. Lawless during the red shirt riots and arson. Lawless again as people force open and even weld open flood gates. Is anybody really in charge in Thailand?

Lessons through observation are fine provided all eyes are open. Looking and listening to the assorted bodies that are supposed to be working to battle the problem and relieve the suffering of the victims of the flooding this is what I see and I am sure the greater majority of people here se the same.

Blind-leading-the-blind.jpg.

"EM (ball) stands for Electrifying Micro-organisms, and they are believed to help treat polluted water."<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

Every place else I've seen EM balls referred to, the definition is "Effective Micro-organism" balls.

Anybody know which one is correct?

\Floods can't wash away politics. On the contrary, they have inflamed the political division in the country.

All governments praised His Majesty the King on his advice on flood prevention. In 1995, the King warned of "disaster", called for a "floodway" and suggested road tunnels and more: YouTube/Uv5HO7nA5EQ. Since then, there have been 24 governments.

Exactly the situation.

Being a citizen of a country, who can only exist by a perfect control of waterways and water dikes, Netherlands, I fall from one astonishment into another. There is no limit to stupidity.

In our country, the dikes along the Rhine river estuary were FINISHED around 1050 AD, long before Sukhutai era. From then only enforced and enlarged. In 1134 the count of what is now Bremen and Hamburg brought dike builders from Holland in to build a water protection along the rivers Elbe and Weser and the North Sea. Yes, 875 years ago

In Thailand, despite the floods of 1942 and 95: close to NOTHING is done.

In our country, the WaterSTATE is completely independent of politics, under the supervision of a Dike COUNT ( Compte, Graf ) , with a separate from government. Tax to be levied seperately for dry feet. Water ways blocked? He has two answers: bulldozer+dragline, and totally on your expenses, inclusive big fine.

In Thailand, people, who know water only in hard form ( ICE) in their drinks, in bubble form in their baths and in steam form in their saunas, with MAYBE an idea the garden people use it also for something, decide what and how to do. Instead of cooperation there is a permanent obstruction of each others way of doing, misinformation etc. Waterways, klongs, blocked by illegal building. Not since yesterday, but long time

On TV and pictures I see a flooding of 25-75 cm, sometimes more. Sorry, thats close to nothing, In 1995 it seemed to go wrong here, so the entire evacuation of population and their belongings was ordered and done in 3 days. But water levels between the dikes was 5-9 mtr, not a lousy 1-2 mtr as now in Thailand.

Will the Thais learn from this ?? Sorry, but my experience since 1993 is: they will go to temple to pray about their bad karma, and await next election, to get a 20-100 THB in election money. Never thinking: why a politician wants to pay for my vote? Maybe to be able to rob more tax payers money as his/her initial investment ?

My idea: bring all politicians in court, and carry out the kings idea of 15 years ago, so your children and grand children can see the high water levels from the top of the river dikes and not from the top of their homes.

Edited by puipuitom

"EM (ball) stands for Electrifying Micro-organisms, and they are believed to help treat polluted water."<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

Every place else I've seen EM balls referred to, the definition is "Effective Micro-organism" balls.

Anybody know which one is correct?

Sounds like it's just balls to me.

\Floods can't wash away politics. On the contrary, they have inflamed the political division in the country.

Exactly the situation.

Being a citizen of a country, who can only exist by a perfect control of waterways and water dikes, Netherlands, I fall from one astonishment into another. There is no limit to stupidity.

In our country, the dikes along the Rhine river estuary were FINISHED around 1050 AD, long before Sukhutai era. From then only enforced and enlarged. In 1134 the count of what is now Bremen and Hamburg brought dike builders from Holland in to build a water protection along the rivers Elbe and Weser and the North Sea. Yes, 875 years ago

In our country, the WaterSTATE is completely independent of politics, under the supervision of a Dike COUNT ( Compte, Graf ) , with a separate from government. Tax to be levied seperately for “dry feet”. Water ways blocked? He has two answers: “bulldozer+dragline”, and “totally on your expenses, inclusive big fine”.

In Thailand, people, who know water only in hard form ( ICE) in their drinks, in bubble form in their baths and in steam form in their saunas, with MAYBE an idea the garden people use it also for something, decide what and how to do. Instead of cooperation there is a permanent obstruction of each other’s way of doing, misinformation etc. Waterways, klongs, blocked by illegal building. Not since yesterday, but long time

On TV and pictures I see a flooding of 25-75 cm, sometimes more. Sorry, that’s close to nothing, In 1995 it seemed to go wrong here, so the entire evacuation of population and their belongings was ordered and done in 3 days. But water levels between the dikes was 5-9 mtr, not a lousy 1-2 mtr as now in Thailand.

Will the Thai’s learn from this ?? Sorry, but my experience since 1993 is: they will go to temple to pray about their bad karma, and await next election, to get a 20-100 THB in “election money”. Never thinking: why a politician wants to pay for my vote? Maybe to be able to rob more tax payers money as his/her initial investment ?

My idea: bring all politicians in court, and carry out the king’s idea of 15 years ago, so your children and grand children can see the high water levels from the top of the river dikes and not from the top of their homes.

Very good article. Thailand as a modern miracle is a bit of a facade.

Exactly the situation.

In our country, the WaterSTATE is completely independent of politics, under the supervision of a Dike COUNT ( Compte, Graf ) , with a separate from government. Tax to be levied seperately for “dry feet”. Water ways blocked? He has two answers: “bulldozer+dragline”, and “totally on your expenses, inclusive big fine”.

In Thailand, people, who know water only in hard form ( ICE) in their drinks, in bubble form in their baths and in steam form in their saunas, with MAYBE an idea the garden people use it also for something, decide what and how to do. Instead of cooperation there is a permanent obstruction of each other’s way of doing, misinformation etc. Waterways, klongs, blocked by illegal building. Not since yesterday, but long time

On TV and pictures I see a flooding of 25-75 cm, sometimes more. Sorry, that’s close to nothing, In 1995 it seemed to go wrong here, so the entire evacuation of population and their belongings was ordered and done in 3 days. But water levels between the dikes was 5-9 mtr, not a lousy 1-2 mtr as now in Thailand.

Will the Thai’s learn from this ?? Sorry, but my experience since 1993 is: they will go to temple to pray about their bad karma, and await next election, to get a 20-100 THB in “election money”. Never thinking: why a politician wants to pay for my vote? Maybe to be able to rob more tax payers money as his/her initial investment ?

My idea: bring all politicians in court, and carry out the king’s idea of 15 years ago, so your children and grand children can see the high water levels from the top of the river dikes and not from the top of their homes.

dam_n! Will anyone in power read and understand this "spot on" opinion?? :realangry: