Dumb Question!

beswick

The opposite for the new Isuzu 4 dr 3L AT,just reviled in CM Airport Plaza...very good looking in white pearl(+7K) color BTW,but -no deals...no free insurance,or registration,no freebies !!...well,they will give you 3K baht off,if you order the whole package for 13K ...

Price for 2wd is 915K (922K for the white) 25% down,2.75%x60 month...BTW,4x4 top model is 994K !!

???...I'm not interested...and wonder,if anybody here would be...:o

It's a sellers market..

If you can, I'd suggest holding off until April next year - by then everyone will have stock again (including the new BT-50), and the manufacturers will be begging for your business at the International Motor Show...

That could work,I guess,since my wife is getting Almera in January and my Audi is slow to sell...the only thing is that "I want it NOW!!",but that "now" is not now anyway...so I can wait couple of months longer...it's probably around 30 K in savings and much more,if can get the interest knocked down a little..:mellow:...and it will be cool to see this BT-50 "in person"...B)

The opposite for the new Isuzu 4 dr 3L AT,just reviled in CM Airport Plaza...very good looking in white pearl(+7K) color BTW,but -no deals...no free insurance,or registration,no freebies !!...well,they will give you 3K baht off,if you order the whole package for 13K ...

Price for 2wd is 915K (922K for the white) 25% down,2.75%x60 month...BTW,4x4 top model is 994K !!

???...I'm not interested...and wonder,if anybody here would be...:o

It's a sellers market..

If you can, I'd suggest holding off until April next year - by then everyone will have stock again (including the new BT-50), and the manufacturers will be begging for your business at the International Motor Show...

That could work,I guess,since my wife is getting Almera in January and my Audi is slow to sell...the only thing is that "I want it NOW!!",but that "now" is not now anyway...so I can wait couple of months longer...it's probably around 30 K in savings and much more,if can get the interest knocked down a little..:mellow:...and it will be cool to see this BT-50 "in person"...B)

We'll get a much better idea of the type of campaigns actually possible with all of these at the Motor Expo this December, but the best deals will come in March/April at the International Motor Show...

Given the quality of options that will be available at that time, and the amount of "bet the ranch" going on in tier-2, I'm suspecting we'll see some fairly agressive campaigns in 2012..

MRO,

I was wondering if you can help me with this. Found a car, got a good deal and put the initial 5000 bht down to get it ready. I will put the 20 percent down this week. The car is going in my wife's name and I have made it clear she doesn't work. I have all the documents ready from work and I just need to sign on Thursday. However, the dealer is now telling me somebody needs to guarantee me as I am a westerner. This seems strange as I am married and I am guaranting my wife and now someone needs to guarantee me. Is this the case? My wife spoke to the finance company and they said they would submit our request but they don't know if it will go through.

Seems strange. What do you think? Also do you have to pay for your Thai number plate?

Cheers, Bes

MRO,

I was wondering if you can help me with this. Found a car, got a good deal and put the initial 5000 bht down to get it ready. I will put the 20 percent down this week. The car is going in my wife's name and I have made it clear she doesn't work. I have all the documents ready from work and I just need to sign on Thursday. However, the dealer is now telling me somebody needs to guarantee me as I am a westerner. This seems strange as I am married and I am guaranting my wife and now someone needs to guarantee me. Is this the case? My wife spoke to the finance company and they said they would submit our request but they don't know if it will go through.

Seems strange. What do you think? Also do you have to pay for your Thai number plate?

Cheers, Bes

You should have no problems at all, assuming:

1. Your downpayment is at least 25% (40% if the car you're buying is 4WD)

2. You are legally married in Thailand (i.e. have a Thai marriage certificate to show)

3. You are on the 1-year visa extension scheme (i.e. Non-Immigrant O or B visa)

4. You can show at least 6 months of routine deposits into your Thai bank account, and can explain their origin as being either salary or pension.

5. You aren't dealing with a farang-unfriendly lender (major ones that come to mind here are Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank).

6. You aren't going for the first car buyer rebate.

Are you all good for points 1-6?

If so, I'm curious as to who the lender is...

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

On the number plate (tabien rot), someone has to pay for it (anywhere from about 1500-6000 Baht depending on the car), but it's also normal that it gets thrown in as a freebie with the deal.. Many dealers these days will try to avoid paying for it though, so you have to negotiate it into the deal.

Beware of profiteering here too - the price they quote is often jacked up..

On the number plate (tabien rot), someone has to pay for it (anywhere from about 1500-6000 Baht depending on the car), but it's also normal that it gets thrown in as a freebie with the deal.. Many dealers these days will try to avoid paying for it though, so you have to negotiate it into the deal.

In my case,they said that they will return the money(3500) after I get the regular plates...but now I wonder,if something got lost in translation..again..??B)What is the "normal" procedure?

In my case,they said that they will return the money(3500) after I get the regular plates...but now I wonder,if something got lost in translation..again..??B)What is the "normal" procedure?

If they're talking about giving your money back, that sounds like a deposit on the red (dealer) plates, which is normal (though 3500 seems high).

What I'm referring to above are the white (proper) plates you get after 30-90 days... Some dealers these days are trying to get customers to pay for white plates themselves... and also trying to load the price with a nice on the side commssion to boot - stingy barstards!

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

If they're talking about giving your money back, that sounds like a deposit on the red (dealer) plates, which is normal (though 3500 seems high).

What I'm referring to above are the white (proper) plates you get after 30-90 days... Some dealers these days are trying to get customers to pay for white plates themselves... and also trying to load the price with a nice on the side commssion to boot - stingy barstards!

Just checked my preliminary contracts...it's 2500 for Almera and 3500 for T6,but Ford also put up some delivery charge of 3500 BHT(!?!)...before the dealers use to cover that ?!

Just checked my preliminary contracts...it's 2500 for Almera and 3500 for T6,but Ford also put up some delivery charge of 3500 BHT(!?!)...before the dealers use to cover that ?!

That sounds like different dealerships simply wanting different security deposits for their red plates - dont' read too much into it.

The delivery charge is a good one though - they must think they're in a Western country to be trying that one on.. I'd tell them to stick it.

MRO,

Cheers, Bes

2. You are legally married in Thailand (i.e. have a Thai marriage certificate to show)

4. You can show at least 6 months of routine deposits into your Thai bank account, and can explain their origin as being either salary or pension.

5. You aren't dealing with a farang-unfriendly lender (major ones that come to mind here are Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank).

Cheers MRO,

Everything is correct apart from points 1 and 6. I am only putting 20 per cent down and I am going for the first buyer rebate (well my wife is). Why are they giving me a hard time about this - I am going for a Mazda.

MRO,

Cheers, Bes

Cheers MRO,

Everything is correct apart from points 1 and 6. I am only putting 20 per cent down and I am going for the first buyer rebate (well my wife is). Why are they giving me a hard time about this - I am going for a Mazda.

If only making a 20% downpayment, a Thai guarantor is *always* required, if you don't already have an established (and perfect) credit rating in TH. Par for course. The easy work around is just to pay an extra 5% down.

As for point #6, finance companies are unable to become the beneficiary of the rebate, so they view fthe first car buyer scheme as being a substanitally increased risk.

Picture this: Someone finances a new car on 7-year terms, gets their 100K Baht rebate after 12 months, then defaults on their payments... While the finance company has no problem in repossesing the car, they MUST repay the 100K rebate back to the excise department before they will be able to transfer title (i.e. sell the car), so in effect, they're taking on a risk which the car itself can no longer cover - so expect much, much more stringent finance requirements of you're looking at this option.

MRO,

Cheers, Bes

Cheers MRO,

If only making a 20% downpayment, a Thai guarantor is *always* required, if you don't already have an established (and perfect) credit rating in TH. Par for course. The easy work around is just to pay an extra 5% down.

As for point #6, finance companies are unable to become the beneficiary of the rebate, so they view fthe first car buyer scheme as being a substanitally increased risk.

Picture this: Someone finances a new car on 7-year terms, gets their 100K Baht rebate after 12 months, then defaults on their payments... While the finance company has no problem in repossesing the car, they MUST repay the 100K rebate back to the excise department before they will be able to transfer title (i.e. sell the car), so in effect, they're taking on a risk which the car itself can no longer cover - so expect much, much more stringent finance requirements of you're looking at this option.

Thanks MOR,

I got my wife to speak to the finance company today and they said even if I put 25 per cent down I will still need a guarantor. This process seems complicated. I asked my boos at work if he could do this fotr me of which he had no problems but because he is a foreigner he cannot do this. They won't even allow a company to guarantee me! How the heck am I suppose to get this bloody car - it seems more hassle than it's worth. They said I can submit all my documents without a guarantor and "they'll see what happens".

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bes

I got my wife to speak to the finance company today and they said even if I put 25 per cent down I will still need a guarantor. This process seems complicated. I asked my boos at work if he could do this fotr me of which he had no problems but because he is a foreigner he cannot do this. They won't even allow a company to guarantee me! How the heck am I suppose to get this bloody car - it seems more hassle than it's worth. They said I can submit all my documents without a guarantor and "they'll see what happens".

Bes

Which finance company are they using?

On a side note, this is what I've been saying all along; that the first car buyer rebate actually makes new cars less accessible, not more. Pure brilliance.

On a side note, this is what I've been saying all along; that the first car buyer rebate actually makes new cars less accessible, not more. Pure brilliance.

Not sure which One MRO, I will find out. Would it be easier if I just put the car in my name? Or do you think it's a good idea to submit the documents we have and "see what happens"? But even then, if the car was in my name, I'd still have the same problem of getting a guarantor!

Bes

...maybe putting 30% down will help ?

Not sure which One MRO, I will find out. Would it be easier if I just put the car in my name? Or do you think it's a good idea to submit the documents we have and "see what happens"? But even then, if the car was in my name, I'd still have the same problem of getting a guarantor!

It will only be the same or harder to get it in your name...

I cannot believe they're even suggesting "submit it and see" - that makes it sound like your finance application is being handled by a sales rep, not a finance officer...

I would not suggest you "submit it and see", as a failed application will be noted against your credit history, so you'll be on the back-foot before you even begin your next finance application.

IMHO, What you want to do is either talk to a finance officer that clearly knows what's needed to qualify (it's not f'n rocket science - it's just ticks in boxes) and can tell you with absolute confidence the minimum depost you'll need w/out a Thai guarantor.

Or, just go find your own finance broker and arrange it all yourself - a decent finance broker will understand the qualification requirements for all finance co's, so will make sure you get approved the first timeand with a lender that wants your business.

However, if you go the broker option, the dealership will be missing out on their finance commission so you might have troubles getting the same deal - but at this stage it sounds like just getting a car is a bigger issue ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

It will only be the same or harder to get it in your name...

I cannot believe they're even suggesting "submit it and see" - that makes it sound like your finance application is being handled by a sales rep, not a finance officer...

I would not suggest you "submit it and see", as a failed application will be noted against your credit history, so you'll be on the back-foot before you even begin your next finance application.

IMHO, What you want to do is either talk to a finance officer that clearly knows what's needed to qualify (it's not f'n rocket science - it's just ticks in boxes) and can tell you with absolute confidence the minimum depost you'll need w/out a Thai guarantor.

Or, just go find your own finance broker and arrange it all yourself - a decent finance broker will understand the qualification requirements for all finance co's, so will make sure you get approved the first timeand with a lender that wants your business.

However, if you go the broker option, the dealership will be missing out on their finance commission so you might have troubles getting the same deal - but at this stage it sounds like just getting a car is a bigger issue ;)

Many thanks MRO. I can't believe the issue I am having getting a car on finance. Can you recommend any brokers? I might just give up on this shit to be honest. Disappointed.

Last month I got, with Tisco, finance with a down payment of 30% through Tisco Bank.

I'm not married, have never purchased a car before and have no Thai guarantor. I'm on a non-imm B with a work permit of 3 years and was able to show salary payments into bank for the last 6 months.

They were playing games with me, telling me I needed a Thai guarantor, but when it came to the crunch with me saying I didn't want one and asking for my deposit back, they put it through successfully anyway.

I guess if you were buying the car in your name you could use your wife as a guarantor and all would be fine, but then you wouldn't be getting the tax refund.

Many thanks MRO. I can't believe the issue I am having getting a car on finance. Can you recommend any brokers? I might just give up on this shit to be honest. Disappointed.

I don't have a recommendation to give ATM, but if you get your wife to ask around you should be able to find one - there almost as prevalant as insurance brokers..

A good broker will have established relationships with a number of different car dealerships, so can also be helpful for negotiating a better deal, if you haven't done so well yourself.

None of this should be difficult by the way - it sounds like the dealership you're working with doesn't understand what they're doing!

One more thing - in many cases they will try to tell you you and/or your wife need their life insurance policy in order to get finance. Just tell them you already have it (even if you don't) - it's just a ploy to get more commission.

If you're unable to find a broker, my next suggestion is to just go and contact some finance companies yourself. The one's I've found to be the most farang friendly before are:

Thanachart

Ayudyah

Siam Commercial Bank

Tisco

Or just pay cash, if you can..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a recommendation to give ATM, but if you get your wife to ask around you should be able to find one - there almost as prevalant as insurance brokers..

A good broker will have established relationships with a number of different car dealerships, so can also be helpful for negotiating a better deal, if you haven't done so well yourself.

None of this should be difficult by the way - it sounds like the dealership you're working with doesn't understand what they're doing!

One more thing - in many cases they will try to tell you you and/or your wife need their life insurance policy in order to get finance. Just tell them you already have it (even if you don't) - it's just a ploy to get more commission.

If you're unable to find a broker, my next suggestion is to just go and contact some finance companies yourself. The one's I've found to be the most farang friendly before are:

Thanachart

Ayudyah

Siam Commercial Bank

Tisco

Or just pay cash, if you can..

Hi MRO,

Well, here is another absolute joke of a service for you. I went ahead and tried for the finance with TISCO and they approved it (according to the sales rep at Mazda). However, TISCO did not call either my wife or me to confirm this so I am now going on what the sales rep from Mazda said. I paid the initial 5000 bht to place the car order 2-3 weeks ago and they said it would be ready on the 1st December. After calling them back, he told me it would be the 6th December as they don't have any in stock. The representive has basically been lying to us and telling us different stories about why the car is not ready yet. So, this morning, I rang his boss and asked her when will the car definitely arrive. She told me the 26th December to which I replied I was unhappy about this as I've been told different dates and nobody has been clear wiith me. I said this type of service is unacceptable and if they don't sort it out I will cancel. She seemed to understand my frustration and then started backtracking and saying she will see if she can get me the first car on order.

Is this normal here? I feel they have got the money from TISCO and are not interested. Here is where the plot thickens: yesterday my wife got a call from "TISCO" and asked if we had the car yet. To which my wife replied we hadn't. After telling the Mazda sales rep this, he said it was a scam and not to give them any information about the number plate etc.

I am left feeling totally confused about the whole drama and I'm contemplating cancelling. What do you think; should TISCO be calling me to confirm? Is this guy deliberately lying to me as they've got the money?

Advice please.

Cheers, Bes

Hi MRO,

Well, here is another absolute joke of a service for you. I went ahead and tried for the finance with TISCO and they approved it (according to the sales rep at Mazda). However, TISCO did not call either my wife or me to confirm this so I am now going on what the sales rep from Mazda said. I paid the initial 5000 bht to place the car order 2-3 weeks ago and they said it would be ready on the 1st December. After calling them back, he told me it would be the 6th December as they don't have any in stock. The representive has basically been lying to us and telling us different stories about why the car is not ready yet. So, this morning, I rang his boss and asked her when will the car definitely arrive. She told me the 26th December to which I replied I was unhappy about this as I've been told different dates and nobody has been clear wiith me. I said this type of service is unacceptable and if they don't sort it out I will cancel. She seemed to understand my frustration and then started backtracking and saying she will see if she can get me the first car on order.

Is this normal here? I feel they have got the money from TISCO and are not interested. Here is where the plot thickens: yesterday my wife got a call from "TISCO" and asked if we had the car yet. To which my wife replied we hadn't. After telling the Mazda sales rep this, he said it was a scam and not to give them any information about the number plate etc.

I am left feeling totally confused about the whole drama and I'm contemplating cancelling. What do you think; should TISCO be calling me to confirm? Is this guy deliberately lying to me as they've got the money?

Advice please.

Cheers, Bes

Relax - there's absolutely no way your finance has been finalized yet ;)

The 5,000 deposit paid is only a small portion of the total downpayment you have to make, and the finance docs you've signed are only the application forms. Once the car is ready for delivery, you'll pay the remaining down payment, and then more finance forms will come out with car details (chassis, VIN, model, variant colour etc), insurance paper, and the final numbers - which you and/or your wife will then need to sign in order to 'seal the deal'.

Without a car, insurance, and without your full downpayment being made, there's no way possible this has happened yet :D

The dealer still thinks the "sale is in the bag" however, so make sure you keep pushing them to meet their promised delivery date..