'Big Bag' Barrier To Stem Northern Overflow To Bangkok Completed

webfact

The big bags won't stop the rats.The ones that don't drown on the way down from Lop Buri are making their way to dry inner Bangkok. if they are not dead and decomposing in the floodwater with other dead animals and human fecal matter, they are armying down to Sukhumvit and dry sois where they can feed easily on decayed garbage, rotted food and work they're way through sewage backup in al the buildings. They will be able to dine on billions of giant cockroaches trying to escape the flood seepage and work their way on to the sois and walls. Has the government prepared for massive health crisis, rat rabies, dog rabies, and disease from all sorts of contamination in the flood water? Check this out from last April 2009 rain and flood in Bangkok. http://www.youtube.c...feature=related Imagine what the current flood crisis will bring by way of genus Rattus.

I'll make a bold prediction and say there will not be a rabies epidemic.

Rather than blocking it shouldn't they be trying to drain it as fast as possible, making use of the current low level of the tides. We will be back into larger high tides about mid month. The educational system in this country has a lot to answer for.....

There is no educational system.

There is, but it's rote and doesn't encourage innovative thinking or creative expression.

as for rafts made of plastic bottles: I now hear about (and see that one other photo) of some such rafts. Good to know. Enterprising Thais, from all over (not just flooded regions) could start collecting plastic bottles and fabricating rafts - in preparation for next year's floods. Also, a lot can be done with inner tubes, used or new. Gov't or Mu Ban authorities in flood-prone areas should have a stockpile of inner tubes, plastic bottles, and accompanying materials on -hand like masking tape, string. Indeed, community meetings during normal times, to educate locals on simple and cheap ways to help themselves.

Another trick: Build simple metal ramps for cars, the portable type that are used by home garage do-it-yourselfers. Predicate their height on the high water mark for the particular site. Set of 4 for a car, tho it might be a bit dicey to drive up on them, and you'd need at least an extra car length to maneuver.

I don't have flooding problems because I chose to reside on high ground. And the property I secured was about 1/50th the cost of a similar sized property in Bkk suburbs.

Another trick: Build simple metal ramps for cars, the portable type that are used by home garage do-it-yourselfers. Predicate their height on the high water mark for the particular site. Set of 4 for a car, tho it might be a bit dicey to drive up on them, and you'd need at least an extra car length to maneuver.

Yuh. Too tricky and not flexible (varying water depth). Vehicle flotation devices are needed. I've got some video of ad hoc improvisations using large barrels lashed to lateral, under-body (bamboo?) poles. I've seen bicycles with similar flotation devices that also allow propulsion with small paddles attached to the rear wheel spokes.

I'd say heavy-duty inflatable bags, each wheel or full, under-body could do the trick. Maybe there's a design what would allow the vehicle to propel itself as well. Individual wheel inflatables and full, under-body versions could also serve as temporary lifts (jacks).

Mods: At least this OT post involved 'big bags'.

Edited by MaxYakov

So, the water builds up behind this amazing 6km long wall of giant sandbags and won't do anything ??? What a crock of sh1t ! The water will just level out and find the lowest or weakest point and flow through. If there's no lowest level or weak point, it'll go around the ends. You cannot stop water -- simple. How long will it take these simpletons to realise this ?

And if it can't find a weak point it will rise and rise and the people on the wet side of the sandbags will surely love it when it reaches 2, 3 Meter instead of 0.5-1 Meter in their houses.

It's already happened, a few weeks ago. I have a few students in the Mueang Ake area and they have told me the hell they're living in with no help whatsoever. Water up to the second floor, no way in and no way out. Before anyone gets on their high horse and say's they could have left, I ask you, where? These are not rich people and have nowhere to go. Regardless, the blame now is clearly on ALL government officials from the top, down. FROC seems to be playing petty political games at the people's expense. Yes, Yingluck is very much part of FROC as well.

A nice breaking news story from TAN: http://www.tannetwork.tv/tan/

If there's no way in and no way out, how did your students tell you? Just curious...

Believe it or not, mobile phones and land lines still work.

Buy a set of 4 axle stands. Job done :whistling:

Have you seen any 2-meter jack stands lately? Wonder how much it would cost to install a hydraulic lift in one's driveway/garage. It would make routine oil changes and tire rotations a snap.

No, but it would help save a lot of cars where the flooding isn't so bad.

Buy a set of 4 axle stands. Job done :whistling:

Have you seen any 2-meter jack stands lately? Wonder how much it would cost to install a hydraulic lift in one's driveway/garage. It would make routine oil changes and tire rotations a snap.

No, but it would help save a lot of cars where the flooding isn't so bad.

Agreed. Relatively cost-effective, too.

My two questions are: (1) Where did all this <deleted> water come from...I don't recall the rainy season being any more "wet" than most other years? and (2) What happens to all this sand after the emergency passes...does it end up down the sewers and in the klongs thus filling/plugging them up and constricting the water flow so it's even worse next year?

My two questions are: (1) Where did all this <deleted> water come from...I don't recall the rainy season being any more "wet" than most other years? and (2) What happens to all this sand after the emergency passes...does it end up down the sewers and in the klongs thus filling/plugging them up and constricting the water flow so it's even worse next year?

I don't know where you live, but many of us up here in Isaan had been commenting about how much rain we've had this year, much more than any of us ever remember.

The water came from the sky ;)

But, what happened was, the rains came early up north. Started in March I think. By Late April, the reservoirs near where I live east of Chiang Mai, were high, but not full. Normally they are very low at that time of the year. But no action was taken to lower the levels even though it was unusually wet rainy season. Then when the big storm hit a month or so ago, it was too late......

Speaking of care packages, a few Thai friends who have received them have mentioned that the government tells them each is worth 500baht. Here is a photo of one of those care packages. 500baht. whistling.gif

post-6428-0-89694300-1320506831_thumb.jp

That doesn't even look like 200 baht worth of supplies

They may be allowing for inflation.

500 baht allows plenty for the various levels of skim off and graft. Many people are in line for a kickback/payoff on every step of the process of getting this package in to the hands of an end user. It's the Thai system.

Yeah, right. It's The Thai system.

It has been way above average rainfall in the North of Thailand since May/June. Gravity brought it to Bangkok.

Edited by Thai at Heart

You raise a very valid point about the sandbags and sand.

I don't know where you live, but many of us up here in Isaan had been commenting about how much rain we've had this year, much more than any of us ever remember.

Must spend more time in the Isaan Forum :D

Edited by FarangBuddha

You raise a very valid point about the sandbags and sand.

Sandbags will most likely be left out in the sun, which will break down the bag, spilling the sand to be washed into the drains. :(

Must spend more time in the Isaan Forum :D

Not gleaned from the Isaan forum my friend, info is from real people, including the locals who have lived here all their lives.