Yearly Renewal

"I have my appointment for my extension of stay renewal for 9am."

Immigration in CM is requiring appointments now?

Terry

Chiang Mai Immigration has an internet accesable program where you can book specific times for Visa renewals,has been operating some months now and reports say it is working well. I made my appointment in August. There have been many posts on this.

Yes, CM Immigration will accept a bank letter from the previous day for a morning appointment. Just to be double-extra sure, I run my orange passbooks thru the little machine next to the ATMs on my way to the visa extension appointment. Last time they asked me how I'm living since I deposited 800,000 baht three years ago and haven't touched it, except for the annual passbook updates. I said my husband is on a retirement visa and has a good pension income, enough for both of us to live. I drew out the blue Bangkok Bank passbook that showed our regular banking activity and they waved it away without looking at it.

Kind of like when they asked Hubby the sources of his income for his letter from the U.S. consulate, he said "social security and a pension from a long-time employer" and started to get the annual statements from his folder. They just waved those away too, without any interest in looking at them.

I think they just want to see if you can answer simple questions without squirming.

"There have been many posts on this."

Are other immigration offices already doing this?

Any plans that have been reported about the program expanding?

Terry

Here is the pinned thread on this topic in the Chiang Mai forum:

http://www.thaivisa....e-queue-system/

Apparently, CM is the only Immigration office offering this service and certainly, no, you don't HAVE to use the on-line appointment system for a 12-month visa extension. In fact, with only six appointment slots per day, the program is quite popular and totally booked about six weeks in advance. Obviously, CM Immigration handles more than six 12-month visa extensions a day, so most people are getting their extensions the old-fashioned way -- comeing to the office before 7 am to get a pre-queue number so they are one of the first in line when the office actually opens and issues real queue tickets. Usually all the visa extension queue tickets are gone before 8:30 am, often even before they open.

I'm not aware of any plans for other Immigration offices to adopt this program, but I hope it is a trial. The CM office has been very good at modifying their website and changing the procedure a bit to improve it.