No More Floods In Next 5 Years: Virabongsa

webfact

Minister for overseeing redistribution opportunities now?

18 points of negativity...................

First response from Thai Visa denizens.

How sad you all are.

Correction to add rubl's ( what does that mean anyway) erudite contribution.

21 posts of neg.

21 posts of 'seen it all before'

and 'don't believe much of it now' based on past experiences.

"Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

How true, hobgoblin............

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How sad you all are.

21 posts of neg.

21 posts of 'seen it all before'

and 'don't believe much of it now' based on past experiences.

"Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

How true, hobgoblin............

So, that is your first attempted flame of the day?

A self proclaimed mor doo. Another joke and this guy has influence? Is it any wonder Thailand is a joke these days?

Would you trust that man to be a kindergarten teacher for your precious pre-schoolers?

The milk is sour, but to put a smiley face on it, he announces to the kiddies: "we don't like sour milk, no no no, but rest assured kiddies, there won't be any more sour milk for five years. Indeed, my lovelies, if it makes you smile more, I'll tell you that there never again will be sour milk in your cup-de-dups. Now everybody smile. That's good."

That is like saying:

• There will be no more Political corruption in Thailand.
  • We Thai will be honest and fair in all out business dealings.
  • There will be no double standard prices for Thai and Foreigner.
  • We will not lie to the people or attempt to persuade them to do what is not for the benefit of the nation.

And so on. Way to much bullshit coming from both sides.

How sad you all are.

21 posts of neg.

Tally now much higher, surely your not surprised.

Words uttered now that could be regretted in later history, rather reminds me of this particular historical statement and its consequences.

dailymail19381001p11.jpg

Edited by siampolee

I don't see how he can achieve the objective if he doesn't have mean to store at least 17billion cubic meter of flood waters that may fall in 7 days. Nobody can' manage the flood waters of this intensity if there is no mean to do so! I doubt he can see the big picture the way I see it. Yes, I'm about 2,000km away from flood sites. Maybe because I'm not a part of the problem I can see the problem quite transparently. Or he just takes chances since he knows only 10% chances that the biggest flood in 50 years will strike any year over the next 5 years?

Annual average rainfall for Chao Phraya cathment is about 70 billion cubic meter, measured at its river mouth. The "deadly" characteristic of flood for any catchment is "Given 50 years period there is close to 100% probability that the catchment will be impounded by intense rainfall amounting to 25% of the catchment's annual rainfall in a period of 7 days". In your case we are talking about 17billion cubic meter of rainfall that falls in 7 days (or less). I think this revelation won't surprise most of you anymore by now since that the total flood water that started all this mess is just below 16billion cubic meter. I would says, yes, it is likely typical flood that has return frequency once in 50 years as claimed. At least close to.

At the moment two major dams that you can partly rely on to stop a 17billion cubic meter "monster", namely Bhumibol & Sirkit. At best these two dams can absorb 4 and 3 billion cubic meter of flood waters respectively. Any other dams besides these two? We are looking for 10billion cubic meter of flood storage dams to ensure 98% chances Bangkok can be kept dry over the next 50 years.

Edited by ResX

I am reminded of a City Engineer in the UK who said after a bad flood (miniscule in comparison) that he had designed for ‘100 year floods’. Therefore he continued, you need not worry, it will not happen again in your life time. You guessed it; there was another within months! We in the department had thought it a little rash for a public statement to tempt fate so much. What will Fate do to us?

Edited by metisdead
Font resized to default forum font.

Interesting that apart from one member who has checked out Wiki with dubious results not one post suggests anyone has the faintest idea about Virabongsa Ramangkura and his background.This shows as I have always suspected that the collective memory here is quite short term, and very few are clued up on the big business background that's so important to understand Thailand.

A few like Steveromagnino obviously do understand all this, and he would know perfectly well about Virabongsa's background and comnnections.But for most there is no comprehension at all simply because he hasn't been in the news lately.It's simply not good enough to do a mindless google and come up with stale stuff about the long forgotten Suan Kitti affair.

Edited by jayboy

Interesting that apart from one member who has checked out Wiki with dubious results not one post suggests anyone has the faintest idea about Virabongsa Ramangkura and his background.This shows as I have always suspected that the collective memory here is quite short term, and very few are clued up on the big business background that's so important to understand Thailand.

Yes 2/3 of the cabinet Ministers in Yingluck's cabinet are Millionaires (US$ millionaires). So Virabongsa fits right in.

"It saddened me as floods in Pathum Thani caused a cut in global production of Toyota and Honda. The inundated manufacturing areas are not significant only to Thailand but to the world, and it's our duty (to take care of the areas). Our job is to assure that next year, this would not reoccur. And we must achieve it, as assurance to local and foreign investors," he said.

Yeah F** cutting down the trees and destroying the natural environment of Thailand as it really doesnt pay does it oh and double F*** the people too, no mention of them, mind you they are ultimately responsible for their fate.

beware of the friendly, local economic hit-man ... laugh.gif

Words uttered now that could be regretted in later history, rather reminds me of this particular historical statement and its consequences.

dailymail19381001p11.jpg

Appeasing (or trying to) the river Gods and spirits early October didn't help either, I vaguely remember.

I didn't look up k. Virabongsa and what he has done before (the usual suspect remarking this likely fact), but even without knowing the (most likely intelligent) gentleman I can say without a shred of doubt in my mind that anything said now on 'no more disaster in five years time' is utter, utter nonsense which only politicians seem to be able to manage to come up with in a moment time and without (visible) hesitation <_<

Edited by rubl

PM announces 3-phase flood rehabilitation plan to restore confidence

image_2011110817435282C6E5A2-EF13-720F-88E378260FE2BD3F.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 8 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Tuesday announced “Strategic Measures for the Country’s Rehabilitation” – a three-phase post-flood action plan to build confidence, regain trust, and restore the country’s prosperity and stability in the long-term in a manner that is sustainable and systematic.

Speaking at a news conference at the Santi Maitree Building in the Government House compound, Ms Yingluck said the government’s strategy for the country’s rehabilitation was divided into three phases or 3Rs – Rescue, Restore and Rebuild.

She said the immediate phase or ‘Rescue’ would be completed within 1-2 months depending on the flood situation. This stage would be the responsibility of Justice Minister Pracha Promnog as chair of the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC).

The second phase – Restore – which is a short-term phase, will start its operation after the floodwaters have receded and will be complete within one year. This phase will cover rehabilitation and remedies to the economy, infrastructure and quality of life of the people. Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit will oversee the task.

The third phase – Rebuild – the long-term phase would involve actions to build confidence, regain trust, and restore the country’s prosperity and stability, she said.

This task would be divided under the supervision of two committees, the Strategic Formulation Committee for Reconstruction and Future Development (SCRF) and the Strategic Formulation Committee for Water Resources Management (SCWRM). A number of eminent persons and leaders in business sector were appointed as members.

She said the government has invited former finance minister Veerapong Ramangkura to chair SCRF while Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Kittirat Na-Ranong, on behalf of the premier, would chair the SCWRM.

Eminent persons with knowledge and expertise on water management will also be appointed as members while Dr Sumet Tantivejkul, head of the Chaipattana Foundation implementing royal projects, was invited to be an advisor.

Each committee has been requested to propose a timeframe for its work to the cabinet as soon as possible.

"The government has considered the rehabilitation as national agenda in order to move the country forward. The government promises that it will do its utmost to restore confidence and faith in the Kingdom so as to lead the country forward with stability. To this end, we will together overcome the crisis" the premier said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-08

Unbelivable. BUDDHA MUST HAVE SPOKEN TO HIM IN PERSON!!!!! Iam impressed!

This guy is off to a flying start- spewing crap about something that is beyond his knowledge or control. Should give foreign investors a nice warm fuzzy feeling.

Yes! Wonder were they find all this crappy guys?

Well ... Lest we forget ... this is the Government by the "Prai" ... of the "Prai" .... and for the "Prai"

They just have their own definition of "Prai"

That is like saying:

• There will be no more Political corruption in Thailand.
  • We Thai will be honest and fair in all out business dealings.
  • There will be no double standard prices for Thai and Foreigner.
  • We will not lie to the people or attempt to persuade them to do what is not for the benefit of the nation.

And so on. Way to much bullshit coming from both sides.

And the government and all the Red Shirl leaders will grow wings!:lol:

Virabongsa RamangkuraPh.D.

Has no experience in flood related issues, his fame is in other fields where in the past spin doctors had to be employed to change a company name due to some rather strange proceedings. Pulp and paper are the areas of expertise encouraging gullible farmers to plant Eucalyptus trees which do long term damage to the soil they are grown in.

Large number of links to Japanese concerns and financial institutions. Great in theory but in practice, well reality bites. Not the best choice at all cronyismat its best in my view.

http://www.wrm.org.uy http://investing.businessweek.com http://www.marketvisual.com

Edited by siampolee

So lets take a short walk back to a recent forecast and look at what has been done since.

Just found this tonight, while looking for a map of what Thailand is expected to look like in 20 years or so, that the wife bought home one day, but cannot find today ( try again tomorrow in work).

http://www.climate.o...on/thailand.htm

Who had the watch over Thailand when this was going through and does anyone know if it was acted upon?

The juicy really interesting bits are relating to Bangkok in particular?

At the end of the day the current Government wasn't even in power when the Nok Ten storm began increasing levels in the dams on 25th of July, and maybe they need to be given a bit of a break on this point. They are not appointing qualified personnel from their ranks , because they probably don't have any in the party. Do the Universities in Thailand offer courses on such things, like they do in the west?????

Successive Governments have failed to do anything much about the problems Thailand faces in the future, whether or not this is due to a lack of understanding of the problems (due to lack of proper education in the schools) or being more interested in lining pockets or not asking for help and advice from countries like Holland, in order to save face, is a matter for another post.

Wake up Thailand the threat is real and if you do not take heed soon and change your ways it will happen.

Edited by daiwill60

Preposterous comments by the new leader of the effort to combat disaster. Anyone considering investment with this leadership, risk, and disease management controls should run, run, run faster.

Generally speaking at the highest levels of government here they don't try to jerk around larger countries or multinationals. They know who pays the bills and not to bite the hand that feeds. However, if given the opportunity they do try it on with smaller investors all the time.

Unfortunately for Thailand multinational insurance companies are the big boys in the world. There's no way to play games with these guys they will eat Thailand's lunch.

<h2 class="maintitle"></h2>

Within a year from now, the confidence will be restored and in five years, there would be no more disaster," he told reporters after the appointment.

You could read this as being "There will be no floods from 2012 - 2016" or "There will be no floods after 2016". I take it as being the latter.

Having said that ... as if !!!! He might be able to stop the floods from having such an affect, but there will be no way he can stop them altogether.

He didn't say there wouldn't be floods; he said there wouldn't be a disaster. If floods are properly managed then they don't need to turn into a disaster. I think all he is saying is that he will ensure there is proper flood management. I don't think he's predicting anything like the weather.

You lot need some lessons in English comprehension.

Virabongsa RamangkuraPh.D.

Has no experience in flood related issues, his fame is in other fields where in the past spin doctors had to be employed to change a company name due to some rather strange proceedings. Pulp and paper are the areas of expertise encouraging gullible farmers to plant Eucalyptus trees which do long term damage to the soil they are grown in.

Large number of links to Japanese concerns and financial institutions. Great in theory but in practice, well reality bites. Not the best choice at all cronyismat its best in my view.

http://www.wrm.org.uy http://investing.businessweek.com http://www.marketvisual.com

yes he's done his part in converting some of Thailand's rain forests into Eucalytus plantations ... so this probably qualifies him for the Ag Minister's position (when they sack the Ag Minister in the coming reshuffle), or perhaps the Minister of Environment is a better place for him? His star is rising.

"Virabongsa Ramangkura, chairman of the newly-established committee on rehabilitation and reconstruction strategy, vows that no more disaster will reoccur five years from now."

"I took this job as a Thai who wants to help the homeland country. My job is to assure local and foreign investors on the reconstruction of the country for higher competitiveness. Within a year from now, the confidence will be restored and in five years, there would be no more disaster," he told reporters after the appointment....

Let see:

" My job is to assure local and foreign investors"

Make them feel good...about what is being done.

Not about making what is done do the job the best that's possible?

So we meet the official post disaster cheerleader for big business.

"Within a year from now, the confidence will be restored"

So for a full year no one will have confidence at all?

What happened to Thaksins instructions to do it in 3 months?

Or no one will have confidence till Thailand gets past next flood season.

"in five years, there would be no more disaster"

It is going to take 5 years to recover from this.

Or he is a wizard of fortune telling and can tell the world, authoritatively, for certain, no more disasters in Thailand! And the people may rejoice, and keep swimming.

Another person that doesn't understand English properly. If confidence is restored in a year it doesn't mean that no-one will have any confidence for a full year. Perhaps you are just being an extremely pedantic person. Also, don't forget that he said this in Thai and someone translated it, so what is says in English above may not be exactly what was said.

Anyway, this is TV, so I suppose we have to expect to have know-it-all, pedantic posters.

Within a year from now, the confidence will be restored and in five years, there would be no more disaster," he told reporters after the appointment.

You could read this as being "There will be no floods from 2012 - 2016" or "There will be no floods after 2016". I take it as being the latter.

Having said that ... as if !!!! He might be able to stop the floods from having such an affect, but there will be no way he can stop them altogether.

Well if he had wrote after 5 years.

Instead he wrote in the next five years.

Not even the same animal.

For all he knows they can have another one s soon as this one is over.

When are they going to learn it is imposable to put there foot in there mouth if they keep it shut.

Actually, the editor/reporter wrote "Next 5 Years".

He said "in five years".

Preposterous comments by the new leader of the effort to combat disaster. Anyone considering investment with this leadership, risk, and disease management controls should run, run, run faster.

Generally speaking at the highest levels of government here they don't try to jerk around larger countries or multinationals. They know who pays the bills and not to bite the hand that feeds. However, if given the opportunity they do try it on with smaller investors all the time.

Unfortunately for Thailand multinational insurance companies are the big boys in the world. There's no way to play games with these guys they will eat Thailand's lunch.

Yes, you are probably right . I'd be very surprised if the big insurance companies are going to rush to insure anything anymore in this climate of corruption, subsequent corner cutting ( sorry cost cutting ) and lack of planning before implementation ( large or small scale). Sadly, if they do it will be at massive costs, to be counted in with the 30% tea money packages , which all in all at the end of the day may contribute to a great economic downturn in Thailand's status among ASEAN countries.

He didn't say there wouldn't be floods; he said there wouldn't be a disaster. If floods are properly managed then they don't need to turn into a disaster. I think all he is saying is that he will ensure there is proper flood management. I don't think he's predicting anything like the weather.

You lot need some lessons in English comprehension.

It's not a problem with comprehension. It's an issue of the definition. A lot of people would define a flood as a disaster, but I suppose it would depend on how bad the flood was.

I think it would be pretty difficult to control a flood in Thailand so well that it wouldn't be a disaster for some people.