No More Floods In Next 5 Years: Virabongsa

webfact

CONFIDENCE RESTORATION

No more floods in next 5 years: Virabongsa

The Nation

30169458-01.jpg

Virabongsa Ramangkura, chairman of the newly-established committee on rehabilitation and reconstruction strategy, vows that no more disaster will reoccur five years from now.

"I took this job as a Thai who wants to help the homeland country. My job is to assure local and foreign investors on the reconstruction of the country for higher competitiveness. Within a year from now, the confidence will be restored and in five years, there would be no more disaster," he told reporters after the appointment.

Virabongsa, former deputy prime minister, noted that the disaster is more serious than in 1942 and too serious for any government to handle, given that flood-hit areas contribute one third of the economy and house manufacturing centres.

"It saddened me as floods in Pathum Thani caused a cut in global production of Toyota and Honda. The inundated manufacturing areas are not significant only to Thailand but to the world, and it’s our duty (to take care of the areas). Our job is to assure that next year, this would not reoccur. And we must achieve it, as assurance to local and foreign investors," he said.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra unveiled the strategies to rehabilitate the Kingdom, which involve rescue efforts as well as short and long-term strategies.

For the rescue efforts which include the provision of shelters, Pol Gen Pracha Promnok will be in charge.

The medium-term strategy is to help people in flood-hit areas, where water drainage is complete or near completion. This will involve the extension of financial assistance and reconstruction of damaged infrastructure. Interior Minister Yongyuth Vichaidit will be in charge.

In the long term, aside from the committee led by Virabongsa, there is one committee led by Sumet Tantivejkul, secretary-general of the Chaipattana Foundation, in charge of water management system.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-08

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PM announces 3-phase flood rehabilitation plan to restore confidence

image_2011110817435282C6E5A2-EF13-720F-88E378260FE2BD3F.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 8 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Tuesday announced “Strategic Measures for the Country’s Rehabilitation” – a three-phase post-flood action plan to build confidence, regain trust, and restore the country’s prosperity and stability in the long-term in a manner that is sustainable and systematic.

Speaking at a news conference at the Santi Maitree Building in the Government House compound, Ms Yingluck said the government’s strategy for the country’s rehabilitation was divided into three phases or 3Rs – Rescue, Restore and Rebuild.

She said the immediate phase or ‘Rescue’ would be completed within 1-2 months depending on the flood situation. This stage would be the responsibility of Justice Minister Pracha Promnog as chair of the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC).

The second phase – Restore – which is a short-term phase, will start its operation after the floodwaters have receded and will be complete within one year. This phase will cover rehabilitation and remedies to the economy, infrastructure and quality of life of the people. Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit will oversee the task.

The third phase – Rebuild – the long-term phase would involve actions to build confidence, regain trust, and restore the country’s prosperity and stability, she said.

This task would be divided under the supervision of two committees, the Strategic Formulation Committee for Reconstruction and Future Development (SCRF) and the Strategic Formulation Committee for Water Resources Management (SCWRM). A number of eminent persons and leaders in business sector were appointed as members.

She said the government has invited former finance minister Veerapong Ramangkura to chair SCRF while Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Kittirat Na-Ranong, on behalf of the premier, would chair the SCWRM.

Eminent persons with knowledge and expertise on water management will also be appointed as members while Dr Sumet Tantivejkul, head of the Chaipattana Foundation implementing royal projects, was invited to be an advisor.

Each committee has been requested to propose a timeframe for its work to the cabinet as soon as possible.

"The government has considered the rehabilitation as national agenda in order to move the country forward. The government promises that it will do its utmost to restore confidence and faith in the Kingdom so as to lead the country forward with stability. To this end, we will together overcome the crisis" the premier said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-08

I can picture him at the meeting just before the press conference:

His writers present three options, one of which he will announce:

A. Things will get worse, with Bkk sinking an average of 10 cm per year, and global seas rising my mm's per year.

B. Things will get better over next five years. (after five years, things could tailspin and get worse than now, but that's not mentionable).

C. I don't know the future and I'm not abreast of climatologists' predictions. I skipped science classes in school and instead took up crystal ball gazing.

Just then he gets an urgent phone call from a VIP in Dubai. Virabongsa knows indelibly the motto of his party 'Thaksin thinks, Puea Thai acts", and after apprising T of the options, he's told to pick 'B.'

Within a year from now, the confidence will be restored and in five years, there would be no more disaster," he told reporters after the appointment.

You could read this as being "There will be no floods from 2012 - 2016" or "There will be no floods after 2016". I take it as being the latter.

Having said that ... as if !!!! He might be able to stop the floods from having such an affect, but there will be no way he can stop them altogether.

"Dr. Virabongsa Ramangkura, Ph.D. has been Chairman of the Executive Board of Double A (1991) Public Company Limited (formerly known as Advance Agro Public Co. Ltd.) since 1995 and also serves as its Chief Executive Officer. " (from Business week)

"In contrast with its internationally projected "green" image, in Thailand Advance Agro is notorious for the 1990 "Suan Kitti scandal", when 156 Soon Hua Seng employees were arrested for illegally logging a forest area in East Thailand. (See section 3, above.) After the scandal, SHS hired the Finnish-owned Presko public relations firm for advice, and swiftly changed the name of the proposed mill from "Suan Kitti Pulp Mill" to Advance Agro (Sonnenfeld 1999: 18)." (from world rainforest movement)

"It saddened me as floods in Pathum Thani caused a cut in global production of Toyota and Honda. The inundated manufacturing areas are not significant only to Thailand but to the world, and it’s our duty (to take care of the areas). Our job is to assure that next year, this would not reoccur. And we must achieve it, as assurance to local and foreign investors," he said.

Yeah F** cutting down the trees and destroying the natural environment of Thailand as it really doesnt pay does it oh and double F*** the people too, no mention of them, mind you they are ultimately responsible for their fate.

"Virabongsa Ramangkura, chairman of the newly-established committee on rehabilitation and reconstruction strategy, vows that no more disaster will reoccur five years from now."

"I took this job as a Thai who wants to help the homeland country. My job is to assure local and foreign investors on the reconstruction of the country for higher competitiveness. Within a year from now, the confidence will be restored and in five years, there would be no more disaster," he told reporters after the appointment....

Let see:

" My job is to assure local and foreign investors"

Make them feel good...about what is being done.

Not about making what is done do the job the best that's possible?

So we meet the official post disaster cheerleader for big business.

"Within a year from now, the confidence will be restored"

So for a full year no one will have confidence at all?

What happened to Thaksins instructions to do it in 3 months?

Or no one will have confidence till Thailand gets past next flood season.

"in five years, there would be no more disaster"

It is going to take 5 years to recover from this.

Or he is a wizard of fortune telling and can tell the world, authoritatively, for certain, no more disasters in Thailand! And the people may rejoice, and keep swimming.

Edited by animatic

Could someone tell me where he bought his crystal ball. I think they may have a warantee claim coming up.

...unless it really is a man-made disaster as many people seem to think. Maybe they government will be a bit more conservative in their water management in future. 5 years is hardly confidence inspiring anyway.

Looks like at least one lesson has been learnt - the new committees have been given acronyms that are far harder to make fun of than FROC.

SCaRF and SCWoRM , works with SC-ASSettes.

Simply Comical appropriation of Repair Funds

Stereotypical Criminal Whitewashing of Resources Mendacity

Edited by animatic

In the Netherlands we've got some improvements documented and financing reserved till 2020 and are busy to secure financing till 2028.

Thailand has someone saying 'no more disasters after five years'.

Amazing Thailand indeed :ermm:

Minister for overseeing redistribution opportunities now?

18 points of negativity...................

First response from Thai Visa denizens.

How sad you all are.

Correction to add rubl's ( what does that mean anyway) erudite contribution.

21 posts of neg.

Edited by philw

Virabongsa was also deputy premier in charge of economic affairs under Prime Minister General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh.

And it was the Chavalit Govt that was in power when the Asian financial crisis happened in 1997, and that's the Thai Govt that is widely blamed for setting off that crisis.

How sad you all are.

21 posts of neg.

RUBL = first two letters of first name followed by first to letters of family name.

As for my post, just indication that politicians seem seldomly hindered by too much knowledge concerning the subject they have just been appointed to manage / solve ;)

(PS: not really specific for Thailand though)

(as your post is #21 you seem not to exclude yourself. BTW two posts are the topic #1 and #2)

Edited by rubl

it took the Netherlands 50 years at least to make it more or less safe. And Thailand will do in 5 years what the Netherlands did in 50???? Please where did they dig up these supermen!

At this pace Thailand will have a man on the moon before the Chinese!

<h2 class="maintitle"></h2>

Within a year from now, the confidence will be restored and in five years, there would be no more disaster," he told reporters after the appointment.

You could read this as being "There will be no floods from 2012 - 2016" or "There will be no floods after 2016". I take it as being the latter.

Having said that ... as if !!!! He might be able to stop the floods from having such an affect, but there will be no way he can stop them altogether.

Well if he had wrote after 5 years.

Instead he wrote in the next five years.

Not even the same animal.

For all he knows they can have another one s soon as this one is over.

When are they going to learn it is imposable to put there foot in there mouth if they keep it shut.

How sad you all are.

21 posts of neg.

21 posts of 'seen it all before'

and 'don't believe much of it now' based on past experiences.

"Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

How sad you all are.

21 posts of neg.

If I'm not mistaken, your message is negative also