Thai Police Eye Bad Flood Spots, Lawbreakers

webfact

FLOOD

Police eye bad flood spots, lawbreakers

Kwanhathai Malakan

The Nation

30169600-01.jpg

Tightening up control in flood-threatened areas, police yesterday warned people using road spikes to stop vehicles helping flood victims that they could face severe punishment.

Pol Maj-General Piya Uthayo, police spokesman for flood-disaster operations, said national police chief Pol General Priewpan Damapong had assigned the Metropolitan Police Bureau, Provincial Police Region 1 and Region 7 to be in charge of traffic on flooded roads.

He singled out especially inner Bangkok, eastern Bangkok from Lat Phrao Road to Ram-Indra Road, and western Bangkok's Rama II Road.

Traffic Police and Highway Police were also to inform the public which routes motorists could use, to prevent traffic congestion.

Regarding complaints about people using road spikes to stop flood-aid vehicles in Bangkok's Bang Phlat, Don Muang, Sai Mai and Khan Na Yow districts as well as Nonthaburi's Bang Bua Thong district, the police chief urged officers to investigate and install security cameras to catch wrongdoers, who would face legal action.

Property damage is punishable by a three-year jail term and Bt6,000 fine, the endangerment of others by a two-year jail term and/or Bt4,000 fine, while the traffic offence of scattering sharp objects and causing vehicle damage is punishable by a Bt1,000 fine.

Police also warned providers of boat-transport services for hire not to jack up fares unfairly, as it could be a crime of cheating by fraud.

People needing mobile teams to take patients or women in labour to hospital should call 02-252-8080.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-10

Who in hell would purposely spike flood-aid vehicles and why? For fun?

Maybe those that are flooded for an extended time already and are desperately waiting for the promised aid from the government?

Well the aid isn't coming any faster if the truck's tires are blown.

For those people who 'd like to use this flood for personal gains, such as exorbitant charges for the boat trips, are the ones who are spiking the flood-aid vehicles. More people are trapped translate to $$.

I have always thought or, at least from I always hear on TV, that Thailand is a "Land of Smiles" and Thai people are the perfect representation of this "land". What a bunch of crap. <snip>

Edited by soundman
Overly negative of all Thai's.

From what I understand, people are putting down road tacks to stop aid vehicles from bypassing the areas where they live. There isn't enough aid, too many people still in their homes, and of course what aid there is available isn't being evenly distributed (or at least disorganized to the point where the results are the same). Soon after the trucks are stopped, people in need of aid show up and the trucks are offloaded. The drivers don't stop them because these folks are clearly in need as well. It's not gangs of roadies that show up at the stranded trucks.... it's grandmas and grandpas, children, etc.

:)

For those people who 'd like to use this flood for personal gains, such as exorbitant charges for the boat trips, are the ones who are spiking the flood-aid vehicles. More people are trapped translate to $$.

I have always thought or, at least from I always hear on TV, that Thailand is a "Land of Smiles" and Thai people are the perfect representation of this "land". What a bunch of crap. <snip>

You paint with a broad brush. Crisis will always bring out the crooks in any country but that doesn't mean they are all crooks.

For those people who 'd like to use this flood for personal gains, such as exorbitant charges for the boat trips, are the ones who are spiking the flood-aid vehicles. More people are trapped translate to $.

Yes, it took me a while to work this one out, but I think you are right.

Sad.

From what I understand, people are putting down road tacks to stop aid vehicles from bypassing the areas where they live. There isn't enough aid, too many people still in their homes, and of course what aid there is available isn't being evenly distributed (or at least disorganized to the point where the results are the same). Soon after the trucks are stopped, people in need of aid show up and the trucks are offloaded. The drivers don't stop them because these folks are clearly in need as well. It's not gangs of roadies that show up at the stranded trucks.... it's grandmas and grandpas, children, etc.

:)

I think you are right. The people in despeate need will force the trucks to stop in their location instad of carrying on to another place. On the other hand I heard a story of a bus being spoked on Soi Watcharaphon, I don't understand why that would be done other than the fact for profiteering so people are forced to use over-priced trucks or boats.

When floods, etc happen around the world it always seems to bring out the good in people. You see people acting like a real community going out of their way to help their fellow man. There are always completely immoral opportunists in every country and walk of life. This is the truly dark side of people.

I think another reason why they might spike tires is because it means fewer people in a certain area. For a short period of time anyway. If you want to loot houses, etc, it's easier to do if there are few people in that area.

Actually 90% of the time it is not the government distributing the food anyway, its volunteers. The volunteers get the food donated to them by normal people and/or businesses. They use their own vehicles, petrol and time to do this out of the goodness of their hearts. Many people do not understand this but next time you meet one of these people just ask them. They will tell you the same story (90%) of the time. It's true there is little coordination because everyone is doing their own thing, privately or with Foundations, NGO's etc. They never have or never will coordinate with each other, its just the way it is. Every now and then the government will "request" a larger organization to give aid to certain places but otherwise its entirely up to the groups themselves where and when they donate or help. The government actually has very little to do with all the rescue and relief efforts going on. The volunteers are awesome! Pity people do not understand this, road spiking is just pure ignorance, stupidity born of desperation. Its a sad mess Thailand is in right now with so many people suffering, I am volunteering everyday and talk to many people, there stories are really sad and just make me thankful how lucky I am. There's a lot of unseen misery around but if you take the time to sit down and listen you will hear so many sad stories that you could have never guessed looking at the victims smiling faces. Can't wait till it's all over.

"Police also warned providers of boat-transport services for hire not to jack up fares unfairly, as it could be a crime of cheating by fraud."

How could it be fraud?blink.gif Does that mean the next time I get hit with the foreign price, I can call the police and have the criminals carted off to jail?

Actually 90% of the time it is not the government distributing the food anyway, its volunteers. The volunteers get the food donated to them by normal people and/or businesses. They use their own vehicles, petrol and time to do this out of the goodness of their hearts. Many people do not understand this but next time you meet one of these people just ask them. They will tell you the same story (90%) of the time. It's true there is little coordination because everyone is doing their own thing, privately or with Foundations, NGO's etc. They never have or never will coordinate with each other, its just the way it is. Every now and then the government will "request" a larger organization to give aid to certain places but otherwise its entirely up to the groups themselves where and when they donate or help. The government actually has very little to do with all the rescue and relief efforts going on. The volunteers are awesome! Pity people do not understand this, road spiking is just pure ignorance, stupidity born of desperation. Its a sad mess Thailand is in right now with so many people suffering, I am volunteering everyday and talk to many people, there stories are really sad and just make me thankful how lucky I am. There's a lot of unseen misery around but if you take the time to sit down and listen you will hear so many sad stories that you could have never guessed looking at the victims smiling faces. Can't wait till it's all over.

Well done for volunteering. It makes a refreshing change to see someone making positive posts about this crisis.

We've had minor flooding in previous years in our small village, and everyone helps each other, with whatever needs doing.

I can't understand why so many people on here are so negative about Thailand, and yet continue to live here. Let's hope this crisis is over soon.