Bank Letter For Retirement Extension

Assuming you are using the Capital sum in the bank then it shouldnt be a problem (Offices vary), I would also take a slip from the ATM printed Monday morning just in case.

Edited by CharlieH

I'm going to make my extension on a monday. Will the Immigraton accept a letter from the bank written on friday?

It might help if you gave us the following:

1. Is this an initial extension or is it for a 90 day reporting (not your first extension)?

2. Is this in Bangkok or somewhere else?

3. Are you using the 800K in bank account method? (I assume you are).

The reason I ask is because those things can make a difference.

Anyhow, they usually want a letter dated within 24 hours of application...but obviously that isn't possible on a Monday morning.

So I'm assumng they will accept your letter.

However, be sure to bring your bankbook and be prepared to put a small token deposit (say 100 Baht) into your account.

I was asked to do that...which was scrutinized by the person processing my application before she signed the paperwork.

This was in Chaeng Wattana, and I understand it is a standard practice there.

They will ask you to go downstairs and make that token deposit to verify your account in the bank downstairs. They want to see that date and stamp in your bankbook, and the updated total before they will sign/initial your paperwork and send you to the supervisor for final review.

That's if the banks in Chaeng Wattana are open with the flood situation.

This is for a 1 year extension and I'm using the 800K method in Chiang Mai. It's an fixed account so no atm card.

There should be no problem in Chiang Mai. I do this every year at that office -- get the bank letter one business day before the visit to Immigration. I don't have an ATM card either, but I update the passbooks at the bank office when I get the letter and then run the passbook thru the updating machine again, just minutes before I leave for CM Immigration office.

Assuming you are using the Capital sum in the bank then it shouldnt be a problem (Offices vary), I would also take a slip from the ATM printed Monday morning just in case.

I asked this question to the "annual retirement visa desk officer" at the immigration office in CM. and his answer was ... 7 days.

Edited by personchester

I hope you have more luck with your Bank letter than me. I use the Bangkok Bank in Phetchabun, and every year it's a major drama to get this letter. Last time they kept me waiting for 2 hours, despite us going in earlier in the week to request it. The attitude of the woman dealing with this was unbelievable, she went for her lunch, at 11a.m. just to annoy us, as we'd politely pointed out to her how she was wrong. She said we needed to send our bank book to head office, and that they couldn't write us a letter for immigration locally, despite us having had letters for several years previously, again with problems from the local branch.

How hard can it be to keep a letter on file and update it once a year ? They're drinking in the "last chance saloon" this year.

Good luck with your application.

Change banks but first contact manager to be sure he is aware of service you are not getting. We had this problem years ago and it was quickly resolved with hint our money was going elsewhere. You, at least at most banks, are paying for this letter so it is not a favor they are providing.

MrMuddle's experience is a good example of why it helps for OPs to mention which Immigration office they work with. No consistency within Thailand, either for the Immigration offices or local banks. Life is beautiful in Chiang Mai, MrMuddle.

I hope you have more luck with your Bank letter than me. I use the Bangkok Bank in Phetchabun, and every year it's a major drama to get this letter. Last time they kept me waiting for 2 hours, despite us going in earlier in the week to request it. The attitude of the woman dealing with this was unbelievable, she went for her lunch, at 11a.m. just to annoy us, as we'd politely pointed out to her how she was wrong. She said we needed to send our bank book to head office, and that they couldn't write us a letter for immigration locally, despite us having had letters for several years previously, again with problems from the local branch.

How hard can it be to keep a letter on file and update it once a year ? They're drinking in the "last chance saloon" this year.

some of the small branches of Bangkok Bank in BKK are not even aware of this letter, i was told it will take 2 weeks since they have to request the letter from the HQ in Silom. The branch manager said it will still take 2 weeks if i go to request it myself at the Silom HQ. I went to Silom and got the letter within 15 minutes at counter 51-52 which deals with letters and documents. I went to Immigration at Cheng Wattana the next day and was requested to update my bank book in the local branch downstairs. No need for a token deposit, just put the book in the Deposit update machine outside the branch and it gets updated.

MrMuddle's experience is a good example of why it helps for OPs to mention which Immigration office they work with. No consistency within Thailand, either for the Immigration offices or local banks. Life is beautiful in Chiang Mai, MrMuddle.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that you're enjoying life in Chiang Mai. Phetchabun is a pretty good place to have a home too, at least in my experience. The problem I have is only with the Bangkok Bank, the local immigration office I deal with is at Phitsanulok, who have always been extremely helpful. Last time I renewed my retirement stamp, I had forgotten to update my Bank book, to the same date as the letter, (probably due to the fiasco in actually getting the letter), and the officer gave our driver instructions on how to find the Phitsanulok branch of the Bank, so we could update the book. He also invited my elderly mother-in law into the air conditioned office, while we waited for the paperwork to be done, and got one of the staff to give her a drink. If the local Bangkok Bank were as efficient as the Phitsanulok Immigration office, and showed the same helpful attitude, I'd have no complaints whatsoever.

some of the small branches of Bangkok Bank in BKK are not even aware of this letter, i was told it will take 2 weeks since they have to request the letter from the HQ in Silom. The branch manager said it will still take 2 weeks if i go to request it myself at the Silom HQ. I went to Silom and got the letter within 15 minutes at counter 51-52 which deals with letters and documents. I went to Immigration at Cheng Wattana the next day and was requested to update my bank book in the local branch downstairs. No need for a token deposit, just put the book in the Deposit update machine outside the branch and it gets updated.

Thanks for the reply, Islandboy. This letter request is similar to the story that we have been given in Bangkok Banks' Phetchabun office, it's basically a load of twaddle because the branch is inefficiently run. If branches of Bangkok bank are unaware of letters for immigration, then they need to sort their business out, it's a relatively simple matter which is easily resolved by anyone competent in computers.

The 2 hour wait for the letter was eventually resolved by me sliding down in the chair I was sitting on, and looking extremely sad. ( I learned a long time ago never to lose my temper, shout, or do anything that westerners normally do, to resolve a problem - there is always another way to get the result you want). Everyone in the Bank noticed this, and before too long the assistant manager came over to ask what was wrong. He then went into a back office and came out with the letter, checked with us that it was correct, and took it into the managers office for stamping and signing. He apologised profusely for our wait.

Glad you got your visa sorted out.

Change banks but first contact manager to be sure he is aware of service you are not getting. We had this problem years ago and it was quickly resolved with hint our money was going elsewhere. You, at least at most banks, are paying for this letter so it is not a favor they are providing.

Thanks for the advice. We'll do this next time we are in town. The only worry I have is that other Banks in Phetchabun are even more incompetent !

• 3 weeks later...

KEEP A COPY FROM LAST YRS. LETTER AND CHANGE TO BKK BANK...the most FARANG friendly bank!

cheers,