Fears Of Toxic Leakage Bring Call For Factory Inspections: Thailand Flood

webfact

Fears of toxic leakage bring call for factory inspections

Chularat Saengpassa

The Nation

30169680-01.jpg

A group of activists yesterday called for mandatory inspections of possible toxic waste left in all flooded industrial estates, before floodwater is drained to public areas as operations resume.

Speaking at a Bangkok seminar, Human Rights Commission head Nirand Phithakwatchara said an open letter would be delivered to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra asking her to order mandatory inspections.

Wastewater and toxic substances need to be treated or neutralised before being discharged from the estates to public areas, while factory owners will be asked to cooperate by providing details about industrial chemicals in their storage.

The organisations supporting the request are the Thailand Environment Institute (TEI), Thai Society of Toxicology (TST), Ecoalert Thailand, GreenPeace Southeast Asia and the Thai Labour Solidarity Committee.

At a House session yesterday, relevant agencies gave updates concerning possible toxic contamination at industrial estates, with Pollution Control Department acting directorgeneral Worrasas Aphaiphong reporting no chemical or toxic leakage had been found in the department's own inspections over the past three weeks. The only problem found was general contamination of flood water, especially at Nava Nakon estate in Pathum Thani.

Worrasas said that EM liquid could be used to treat stagnant water, but with effectiveness limited to floods of no more than one metre in depth. "Overuse of EM liquid or EM balls would only taint flood water further," he told the House panel on Land, Natural Resources and the Environment.

With the inspections imposed, the department could require factory owners to treat water or neutralise pollution more effectively and thoroughly before it was drained out, he added.

Phongthep Jaruphornphan, deputy directorgeneral of the Department of Industrial Works, said toxic substances had been moved to safe locations by factories in preparation for the floods. There were up to 40,000 factories flooded, including 900 largescale plants in Pathum Thani and Ayutthaya, he added.

TST head Songsak Srianuchart said information on chemicals stored volunteered by factory owners would be most useful in case of leakage.

TEI acting chief Thongchai Phannasawas said mandatory inspections were crucial in detecting toxic substances, and subsequent neutralisation or treatment within the compound before floodwater was drained out of the estates.

Amnaj Buasua, who represents villagers living near the Rojana Industrial Estate, recently complained that pollution had spewed into his community when factories started the cleaning operation. "Why don't they tell us anything? Their actions have affected us," he said.

He said relevant agencies, especially the Pollution Control Department, should show social responsibility and take action.

"I hope the government will advise factories on how to dispose of chemical waste," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-11

WHATS THE FREAKING POINT???? Just like ISO approved companies in Thailand they pay up some cash and they get approved, I know my wife used to work in one such company the whole thing is a farce , hand over the money BINGO, ISO approved

"I hope the government will advise factories on how to dispose of chemical waste," he said.

Yes the correct way is dump it where you like and pay us the money

Edited by travelmann

Hey, whatever is good and bad about Thailand, this is just one more potentially dangerous situation arising from the flooding that has been recognised and from that, now has the opportunity to be properly addressed. Whether it will be properly addressed is another matter, but recognising the threat and sounding off about it is at least a good start in my book, even if it comes a little late.

Rick: "How can you close me up? On what grounds?"

Captain Renault: "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"

[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]

Croupier: "Your winnings, sir."

Captain Renault: [sotto voce] "Oh, thank you very much."

[aloud]

Captain Renault: "Everybody out at once!" Casablanca (1942)

it always troubles me to see Thai workers up to their waists or further in filthy, polluted, toxic waste water. No boots, just flip flops, no coveralls, no gloves.

Surely someone in government has enough intelligence to supply protective gear?:unsure: No?

it always troubles me to see Thai workers up to their waists or further in filthy, polluted, toxic waste water. No boots, just flip flops, no coveralls, no gloves.

Surely someone in government has enough intelligence to supply protective gear?:unsure: No?

Do the condoms count, they sent up to the flooded areas in the North?

No need for this Amart Govt to worry ... the workers are probably Burmese.

:sorry:

No need for this Amart Govt to worry ... the workers are probably Burmese.

:sorry:

"Amart Govt"? Oh dear, here I was thinking this PTP government was "of the people, by the people, for the people"?:(

WHATS THE FREAKING POINT???? Just like ISO approved companies in Thailand they pay up some cash and they get approved, I know my wife used to work in one such company the whole thing is a farce , hand over the money BINGO, ISO approved

Even the Boys in Brown are ISO!

Even the Boys in Brown are ISO!

Which all it means is that they have a written/approved procedure of how to extort money out of people...:lol:

ISO-9000 means sh*t you can do what you wish as long its written down in a procedure, and as long as you document your co*k-ups you are in compliance as well