Water Receding In 11 Bangkok Districts

webfact

Water receding in 11 districts

The Nation

30169762-01.jpg

Flood levels remain above 80cm in 560 locations covering 12 districts; Bangkok deputy gov says. City's main roads will be dry in two weeks

Flood water has receded in 11 Bangkok districts as drainage is underway at full steam, while water levels are stable in Phasi Charoen and Bang Khae districts, while they went up in Min Buri and Klong Sam Wa.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the bigbag barrier along Vibhavadi Rangsit Road did not work well and was breached at three locations. He said flood water on Phetkasem Road, an alternative to Rama II Road as a route to the South of the country, was being drained.

Sukhumbhand's opinion over the effectiveness of the bigbag barrier was at odds with a statement by his deputy, Theerachon Manomaiphibool, that it had worked well. The deputy said the water level between the two bigbag sides was 30cm, and would continue decreasing. The big bags increased the floodwater level at BTS Mor Chit Station by 5cm and Wat Lat Phrao by 2cm.

"Within two weeks, main roads in Bangkok will be dry," he added.

An earlier statement by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's floodrelief centre said water had receded in Don Muang, Lak Si, Sai Mai, Thawee Watthana, Taling Chan, Bang Phlat, Bang Sue, Nong Chok, Lat Krabang, Khan Na Yao and Lat Phrao districts.

The level remains above 80cm at 560 locations in 12 districts.

A Phaholyothin Road section at the Kamphaeng Phet intersection is dry, as is a Charan Sanitwong Road section from Bang Phlat to Boromratchonani. A road network nearby connecting to ArunAmarin Road by the Chao Phraya River is still flooded but small vehicles can now use it.

In Pathum Thani, the floodwater level in three heavily inundated districts has receded, although Route 345 connecting this province to Bangkok remains under water, and water at many luxury housing estates is still chesthigh.

Bhumibhol Dam is now releasing 26 million cubic metres of water, much lower than during the peak of the flood in Central provinces. The drainage has been ordered to make possible a boat race in Tak and Kamphaeng Phet provinces. Nakhon Sawan has also seen lower currents in three major rivers and lower levels in urban areas, although one of the main roads is under a metre of water.

Paper giant Double A is filling 20,000 permanent and adhoc job vacancies at its plant in Prachin Buri, while providing free commodities, and areas for small businesses to open their temporary operations. Call 1759 and dial 0 for more details.

Meanwhile, Major Cineplex Group will reopen two cineplexes in Pinklao, as the flood level in the area recedes.

In a statement, the company said that the standalone branch will resume normal service tomorrow, starting with a 10am show.

Meanwhile, its cineplex branch inside Central Plaza Pinklao will reopen its doors on Monday.

Since floods hit Bangkok, the company that operates nearly 70 per cent of theatres in Thailand has closed operations of 12 branches - MajorRangsit, FutureRangsit, Big CNava Nakorn, LotusNava Nakorn, Chaeng Wattana, Fashion Island, Thanyaburi, MajorPinklao, CentralPinklao, Petchkasaem, Salaya and Ratchayothin. It also closed seven bowling branches.

Central Pinklao will also open tomorrow.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-12

Reporting live down here at the river I can say it's nearly as high right now as it was during the last high tides we had a week or so ago.

Here in Nonthaburi we are now flooded again while two days ago we thought the water had gone and started cleaning up. What a waste of time!

The drainage has been ordered to make possible a boat race in Tak and Kamphaeng Phet provinces.

Nice to see that they know their priority's in the flood management.

Seriously, <deleted>

Don't you all know how SERIOUS these boat races are? I mean c'mon... there's just a couple hundred people dead, a million others that have lost their homes... surely you must understand how important it is to work the dams so that we can have a little boat race. I mean it's not like we need to work these things to like... save people's houses and all, eh?

Reporting live down here at the river I can say it's nearly as high right now as it was during the last high tides we had a week or so ago.

Here in Nonthaburi we are now flooded again while two days ago we thought the water had gone and started cleaning up. What a waste of time!

Where in nonthaburi ? Here we cleaned up too. Still water in the streets but at least my home is dry. The house was flooded fror over 2weeks. Today water is again a cm lower it goes down with 1-2cm a day.

The drainage has been ordered to make possible a boat race in Tak and Kamphaeng Phet provinces.

Seriously, <deleted>

Don't you all know how SERIOUS these boat races are? I mean c'mon... there's just a couple hundred people dead, a million others that have lost their homes... surely you must understand how important it is to work the dams so that we can have a little boat race. I mean it's not like we need to work these things to like... save people's houses and all, eh?

It sounds a bit heartless but its important to get life back to normal ASAP. By staging sporting events is one way to try to boost moral I guess

The chicken farm on the other side of the swamp from me, here in Bangjark, is now drying out. It's been flooded since April, but that's the normal course of events, not down to the floods from the north. It does show that the groundwater levels are dropping as the dry season takes hold.

Meanwhile, thanks to the BBB, areas above Bangkok, Rangsit for example, are seeing no decline in water levels in many areas. Water has become stagnant and black and will likely remain so for awhile. Boat races? Do something useful with those boats and help people. What a disgusting slap in the face! annoyed.gif

Where in nonthaburi ? Here we cleaned up too. Still water in the streets but at least my home is dry. The house was flooded fror over 2weeks. Today water is again a cm lower it goes down with 1-2cm a day.

What damage did you see to your house after 2 weeks?

I've a friend who will be in a similar position soon.

First of the water rose to 20 cm maximum.

I got tiles on the floor and invested in an expensive water resistant paint. Its a 2 story house.

We have never been flooded before so in all the village its history (its in the higher parts of Bang Bua Thong).

Ok the damage, we could not get everything up because the stairs were in an awkward angle making carrying everything up impossible. The house itself has no damage, just a little bit of paint damage. Most of the grime and dirt came off relatively easy because of the good pain. The tiles on the floor also retained no dirt after cleaning.

We lost 1 sofa, 1 tv cabinet/cupboard, 1 book cupboard / cabinet, 1 door (swollen and got stuck). I was lucky that i took out all the cabinets out of the kitchen (they were not fastened to tight so i was able to get them out saved quite a few baht).

Was able to put the washing machine on some stones. I must say living here has probably saved me a lot of money. Because as you see the water go up you can still make improvements on your plan.

Water is still not gone we got at least 40-50cm in the streets. So the main problem is disposing of the damaged furniture and getting new furniture.

You wont believe it but you get used to being flooded and there are still restaurant open. It does take a toll on you because if you want to get something you need to use big military trucks to get there and back. That takes hours for relative small distances and you have to be lucky to find space on them.

I have a townhouse in Tannakorn Villas, Bang Kruai. Anyone know what's going on there? Last I heard it was more than 1m high.

I am in the Maha Sawat, Suan Pak area and the water here has risen about 15 cms in the last 48 hours. I just don't understand how the water is receding elsewhere close by and it is rising here. Are you guys pumping it into our Moo Baan?

" the water level between the two bigbag sides was 30cm, and would continue decreasing."

If the wall is working, shouldn't the difference be increasing?

One of the possible reasons is there is a net flow across the from high pressure side to low pressure side of the bigbag partition. In this case the water levels for the two sides will eventually the same, indicating the bagbag approach to protect any flood zone has zero measurable impact.

It sounds a bit heartless but its important to get life back to normal ASAP. By staging sporting events is one way to try to boost moral I guess

Maybe a car race would seem like life was getting back to normal...oh wait...better stick with boats...

Sorry this is NOT the way to normalcy.....

Ask anyone flooded down stream if they are ready to tolerate more water heading their way for a BOAT RACE.... If the RID needed to drain more because it has too much incoming again, that is reasonable...

to increase the flooding for some big wig's sponsored boat race...

bloody stupid thoughtless thing to do!

Edited by animatic

I am in the Maha Sawat, Suan Pak area and the water here has risen about 15 cms in the last 48 hours. I just don't understand how the water is receding elsewhere close by and it is rising here. Are you guys pumping it into our Moo Baan?

Sounds like there is a breach/leak somewhere in the Khlong Maha Sawat southern bank/sand bag wall. Sounds like I live close/probably south of you (in Khet Talanchan) about 2-3Km as the crow flies (about 1 Km south of the Southern Bus terminal) and our water has dropped a few centimeters over the last 48 hours according to neighbors in our moobaan who stayed and who we call daily. Seems the water level peaked about three days ago...sure hope it don't start rising again like you are seeing.. We evacuated 11 days ago when the water got to around 0.75 to 1 meter deep....water level was just a few inches below the door handles on my Fortuner SUV.

But we need a lot more centimeters of water drop as the water is still 1 to 1.5 meters deep in the moobaan per our calls to neighbors....and I went back last Saturday and waded/walked through this water to checkout my house. The moobaan has a lot of large pumps, but until the khlongs get low enough to where any water pumped out just don't come in again, it's a waste of time and electricity in trying to pump out water.

Well I for one am pleased by the report from Robblok, apart from the imovable furniture it would appear it is possible to clean the tiled floors, and come out of this with little structural damage. Bear in mind I am not saying this will be the case for all, but his situation does offer a little hope

As for the boat race.......well complaining about that.....is just looking for something to complain about, don't you think?

Edited by 473geo

OK. In lieu of the flooding reportedly receding in a number of locations is it now reasonable to assume that we are now through the worst of the flooding?

My home is in Sutthisan which has avoided any significant flooding. Flooding is reportedly not increasing immediately north in Ladprao, but there seems to such a huge number of differing predictions out there.

Forgive my ignorance but until recently there were articles stating there was a vast volume of water being kept at bay by bangkok's flood defences. Has this vast amount of water now dissipated, or has the inevitable just been delayed?

I guess nobody has the answers, and it is just a wait and see situation.

Am I missing some pearls of wisdom that are out there as to what is likely to happen??

The water here in Don Muang has gone down by about 7 inches in seven days, the soi still has about a foot of water and it is difficult to get round anywhere, I wonder if we are being sacrificed for the sake of the Big Bag?

Mueang Ake and many parts of Rangsit have been sacrificed. Huge shame they've given no thought or information what they'll do with all that black and stagnant water. It won't go through Bangkok for sure, people cannot possibly exist in those conditions. Maybe like everything else, stick their heads in the mud and make believe it doesn't exist. Yes, I'm cynical after nearly a month of flood water in my home and nothing whatsoever to get rid of it. I'm to the point of not caring if BBB breaks down.

Mabye it´s in your area the boat race is going to take place?:whistling:

Maybe a car race would seem like life was getting back to normal...oh wait...better stick with boats...

Sorry this is NOT the way to normalcy.....

Ask anyone flooded down stream if they are ready to tolerate more water heading their way for a BOAT RACE.... If the RID needed to drain more because it has too much incoming again, that is reasonable...

to increase the flooding for some big wig's sponsored boat race...

bloody stupid thoughtless thing to do!

come on their only peasants affected not real people like Yingluk Taksin and his crew please get your priorities right

As a western Bangkok resident in a flooded moobaan and IMHO, western and eastern Bangkok were sacrificed for central Bangkok and the Savarnabhumi Airport in terms of all the real flood prevention/mitigation efforts taken by the govt over the last several decades, although the govt in many cases made it sound like "all" of Bangkok couldwould be protected by natural and man-made barries such as certain canals, water managment gates, raised highways, raised railroad tracks, dykes, etc.

Govt's goal was and still is to keep as much of central Bangkok as dry as possible; anywhere else is considered a place to divert water to and an Army truck will drive by eventually to take you out of your flooded moobaan.

Edited by Pib

I see that in a newspaper article today it says the Khlong Maha Sawat overflowed into Khlong Thawi Wattana, further submerging Thon Buri (western) side of Bangkok and the BMA was increasing the height of the sandbags along a 7km section of Khlong Maha Sawat.