Double Entry Tourist Visa

Hi all

I have a double entry tourist visa and in few days my first 60 days will finish.

I like to enable the second 60 days .Can i do that by doing a visa run to the land borders in Cambodia Had Lek(i am staying in Koh Chang so i am very near)

or ,do i have to exit the country from an airport in order to be eligible for the second 60 days ?

Thanks

if your visa is still valid, check ENTER BEFOREor UTILZE BY date on the visa,and you will get 60days.

Please make sure that you include the visa number on the Thai arrival form and show the Immigration Official the Visa in Passport, otherwise they may overlook the visa.

You can do by exit/return at any border or take a flight out and return. Both will get a new 60 day stay if visa valid. You can also visit immigration to extend stay 30 days without leaving but will cost 1,900 baht.

You can extend by up to 30 day's as you say but some office's will only give you anything from 7 day's for 1,900bt up to them. It's all in the new rule package. So you could be unlucky if you pick the wrong one.

No need to worry! You will get an additional 60 days at any border, as long as your visa is still valid.

Whoever told you differently would either not understand that you have a valid visa, or don’t know what they’re talking about.

You can do by exit/return at any border or take a flight out and return. Both will get a new 60 day stay if visa valid. You can also visit immigration to extend stay 30 days without leaving but will cost 1,900 baht.

You can extend by up to 30 day's as you say but some office's will only give you anything from 7 day's for 1,900bt up to them. It's all in the new rule package. So you could be unlucky if you pick the wrong one.

Lots of misinformation on this thread.

First - go to the local immigration and get a 30 day extension (1900 baht as previously quoted). They will NOT give you 7 days, as you have a visa.

After 30 days, hop across the nearest border and get a new 60 days. When that is about to expire, go back to immigration for a further 30 day extension.

The visa you have is good for 6 months, make the most of it!

15 days at a land border is only for those who do not have a visa, and was designed to discourage those with no visa living here indefinitely, by doing border runs every 30 days.

The 7 days mentioned above is also for those with no visa, as an emergency measure.

Lopburi is the man when it comes to visas, his reply was a bit brief, but I am sure he will concur with me.

you get exactly 30 days for 1900 baht

Edited by Mario2008
explicit deleted

Lots of misinformation on this thread.

First - go to the local immigration and get a 30 day extension (1900 baht as previously quoted). They will NOT give you 7 days, as you have a visa.

After 30 days, hop across the nearest border and get a new 60 days. When that is about to expire, go back to immigration for a further 30 day extension.

The visa you have is good for 6 months, make the most of it!

15 days at a land border is only for those who do not have a visa, and was designed to discourage those with no visa living here indefinitely, by doing border runs every 30 days.

The 7 days mentioned above is also for those with no visa, as an emergency measure.

Lopburi is the man when it comes to visas, his reply was a bit brief, but I am sure he will concur with me.

Lots of misinformation??? Looks like you spotted the only misinformation in the quote above your post.

However you add to it by stating that a tourist visa is valid for 6 months. That’s not a certainty, there are quite a few embassies/consulates that will only issue tourist visas with a 3 month validity. So if the OP would do as you state, and get an extension at a local immigration office, he might be SOL when he later does a border crossing, and realizes that his tourist visa has expired…

he said the visa is good for 6 months not valid for 6 months,

i think what he means is you can get upto a 6 month stay from a 3 month visa if you know what your doing.

example how to get 6 months stay (180 days) :

say your visa is issued to you on jan1st :

1. enter thailand on that same day and you'll get 60 days stay to approx. march 1st.,

2. then you have an option to add an extra 30 days extension to approx. april 1st (90 days stay on first entry).

3. if you have a double entry visa and the second entry is unused you can pop out of thailand and re-enter to repeat the above procedure making a total of 180 days.

it's important to remember that the visa is usually only valid for 3 months from issue (look at the enter before date on the visa) so when you pop out and re-enter thailand for the second time this must be done before that date, some people make a mistake and exit thailand when the extension date runs out which maybe after the visa has expired (what happens is they don't get 60 days just 15 days if land crossing or 30 days by air).

there's many options available to you with these double entry tourist visas.

hope this helps someone any questions please ask.

Thank you all for the great information .

The visa says ENTER BEFORE 8 DEC 2011

So to summarize ,i have entered the kingdom in 23 September and my 1st visa is valid until 21 November.

I will take an extension of 30 days in immigration office for 1900 baht until 20 December .

But I will have to go to the border before 8 December to be eligible for the second 60 days until 5 February .

Then i will take another extension to the immigration office for 30 more days so i can stay until 4-5 March .!!!.

Am i correct ?

Sorry for the inconvenience guys but i am little confused ,maybe its from the sang som too, . :)

Cheers.

a double entry mean exactly that_arrive get 60 days======when finish go border run another 60 days will then be given -not sure of the charge for this- it is difficult to understand---i got a double entry in the uk b4 flying out--------------information poor from immigration.............i am staying in buriram-----visa expires 11th december then i will have to go to chon chom surin/cambodia border...............believe this information correct if not i would also appreciate more help.

a double entry mean exactly that_arrive get 60 days======when finish go border run another 60 days will then be given -not sure of the charge for this- it is difficult to understand---i got a double entry in the uk b4 flying out--------------information poor from immigration.............i am staying in buriram-----visa expires 11th december then i will have to go to chon chom surin/cambodia border...............believe this information correct if not i would also appreciate more help.

Look in your passport, there are two dates that are important, the “Enter before” date stamped ON your tourist visa, and your current permitted date of stay, stamped in your passport by the immigration officer, when you arrived in Thailand. If you post these two dates, you can get some recommendations on what to do.

A tourist visa usually have a validity of 3 months from the day it was issued. If your tourist visa is about to expire, then it probably doesn’t make sense to get an extension of stay from immigration, you will just do a border run to Chong Jom as planned. However if it is your permitted date of stay, that is the 11th Dec, and your tourist visa is still valid, then it might be worth getting a few extra weeks, or maybe close to a month, by first doing an extension at a local immigration office.

So to summarize ,i have entered the kingdom in 23 September and my 1st visa is valid until 21 November.

I will take an extension of 30 days in immigration office for 1900 baht until 20 December .

But I will have to go to the border before 8 December to be eligible for the second 60 days until 5 February .

Then i will take another extension to the immigration office for 30 more days so i can stay until 4-5 March .!!!.

Am i correct ?

Sorry for the inconvenience guys but i am little confused ,maybe its from the sang som too, . :)

Cheers.

Sorry, but I think this is incorrect.

The ENTER BEFORE DEC 8TH applies to your entering the Kingdom for the FIRST TIME. That is, you have until Dec 8 from the time of issue to enter LoS.

So, you get yr extension of 30 days from Dec 20 (to Jan 20). Now leave, and re-enter for 2 months, to March 20, and then go to Imm for one month extension....finally leave LoS on April 20.

I believe this is correct.

Look in your passport, there are two dates that are important, the "Enter before" date stamped ON your tourist visa, and your current permitted date of stay, stamped in your passport by the immigration officer, when you arrived in Thailand. If you post these two dates, you can get some recommendations on what to do.

A tourist visa usually have a validity of 3 months from the day it was issued. If your tourist visa is about to expire, then it probably doesn't make sense to get an extension of stay from immigration, you will just do a border run to Chong Jom as planned. However if it is your permitted date of stay, that is the 11th Dec, and your tourist visa is still valid, then it might be worth getting a few extra weeks, or maybe close to a month, by first doing an extension at a local immigration office.

This is incorrect.

The clock starts ticking from the moment you get yr visa/Passport stamped at Suvarnabhumi. (Not from the moment it is issued in your home country. That would make no sense. This "Use before SuchandSuch a date" is on all visas of all types. It is merely giving you three months from the date of issue to actually make it to LoS.

Am i correct ?

Cheers.

The ENTER BEFORE DEC 8TH applies to your entering the Kingdom for the FIRST TIME. That is, you have until Dec 8 from the time of issue to enter LoS.

So, you get yr extension of 30 days from Dec 20 (to Jan 20). Now leave, and re-enter for 2 months, to March 20, and then go to Imm for one month extension....finally leave LoS on April 20.

No you’ve got it wrong, what ventix states above is correct. The “Enter Before” date is the validity of the visa and any entries has to be utilized before that date.

Look in your passport, there are two dates that are important, the "Enter before" date stamped ON your tourist visa, and your current permitted date of stay, stamped in your passport by the immigration officer, when you arrived in Thailand. If you post these two dates, you can get some recommendations on what to do.

A tourist visa usually have a validity of 3 months from the day it was issued. If your tourist visa is about to expire, then it probably doesn't make sense to get an extension of stay from immigration, you will just do a border run to Chong Jom as planned. However if it is your permitted date of stay, that is the 11th Dec, and your tourist visa is still valid, then it might be worth getting a few extra weeks, or maybe close to a month, by first doing an extension at a local immigration office.

This is incorrect.

The clock starts ticking from the moment you get yr visa/Passport stamped at Suvarnabhumi. (Not from the moment it is issued in your home country. That would make no sense. This "Use before SuchandSuch a date" is on all visas of all types. It is merely giving you three months from the date of issue to actually make it to LoS.

Think you need to re-read my post again.

I think that you are wrong. The visa only gives the OP permission to enter Thailand and all enries have to be made prior to the "enter before date". If he "enter before date" is 8 December and he ts until 20 December, the visa is no longer valid and immigration will not let him use it. He will only be able to get a 15 day walk in visa if he is reentering by land. I think his senario is correct!

ember.

Am i correct ?

Cheers.

Am i correct ?

Cheers.

No you've got it wrong, what ventix states above is correct. The "Enter Before" date is the validity of the visa and any entries has to be utilized before that date.

If the SECOND visa says "enter before Dec 8" then yes, you are correct. But I think he is referring to the first visa.....

I'm here on a retirement extension of my NON "O" visa. So by somebody's definition I must be getting old. Maybe even senile and dsyphasic and partially blind but where in this post does it say anything about a second visa? He has one double entry tourist visa with an "enter before date" of 8 December. All entries on that visa, be it one or 1000, must be made before 8 December. I'm amazed how the posting of a simple question, not only on this post, but on every post, can turn into such a verbal free for all. Now that I've figured out how to get ASN for free with my c-band Thaicom antenna I think that I'll go back to watching football. I'm not bashing anybody, but it's amazing to see so much BS. Sorry for my rant.

Am i correct ?

Cheers.

No you've got it wrong, what ventix states above is correct. The "Enter Before" date is the validity of the visa and any entries has to be utilized before that date.

If the SECOND visa says "enter before Dec 8" then yes, you are correct. But I think he is referring to the first visa.....

Edited by wayned

When you enter Airport for ex. 1 of okt ober you get 60 days to 28 november then you go to immigration and get another 30 days and must leave 27 december. Then you re-enter Thailand again at 5 of january and you get another 60 days until 25 of februari and then you have to go to immigration for a new 30 days and you have to lieve 26 of march.

This to 30 days cost you 1900 bath each time totaly 3800 Bath.

I'll do it one more time and then I quit. The "enter before date " on his visa is 8 December. It doesn't matter how many entries he is allowed, one, 2 or 3, if he leaves Thailand and tries to reenter after 8 December the visa is no longer valid because the date is past the "enter before date". The only thind that he would be able to get would be 15 days for a visa exempt land entry. He would have to visit a Thai consulate in a neighboring country to get another tourist visa in order to get more time..

When you enter Airport for ex. 1 of okt ober you get 60 days to 28 november then you go to immigration and get another 30 days and must leave 27 december. Then you re-enter Thailand again at 5 of january and you get another 60 days until 25 of februari and then you have to go to immigration for a new 30 days and you have to lieve 26 of march.

This to 30 days cost you 1900 bath each time totaly 3800 Bath.

The problem here is the confusion between 'permission to stay' and 'visa validity'.

'Permission to stay' is what will be stamped in the passport by an immigration officer, when entering Thailand at a border crossing.

'Visa validity' is stamped on the actual visa as an "Enter Before" date.

Tourist Visas are 'valid' for 3 (or sometimes 6) months, each entry on a 'valid' visa will grant 'permission to stay' for 60 days.

The 'permission to stay' can be extended for an additional 30 days at an immigration office in Thailand.

Am i correct ?

Cheers.

The OP is absolutely correct in his reading of the situation.

imho the confusion comes in some posts after this

@Blazes.. I dont understand the term SECOND visa, OP says he has ONE double entry tourist visa. Wayned so correctly states ALL entries must be completed before the use by date, in this case 8 Dec.

Hope this clarifies

Am i correct ?

Cheers.

The OP is absolutely correct in his reading of the situation.

imho the confusion comes in some posts after this

@Blazes.. I dont understand the term SECOND visa, OP says he has ONE double entry tourist visa. Wayned so correctly states ALL entries must be completed before the use by date, in this case 8 Dec.

Hope this clarifies

Well, as you can see from your quote of the OP, he says "1st visa". So there must, logically, be a "2nd visa", no?

I admit I have never used this particular visa (I am on the senile OA retirement one year), but the latter says, "Issued Sept 15, 2011" followed by "Enter before: Dec 14, 2011".

Perhaps my assumption has been incorrect (I have never needed to test the assumption, since I live here for only 8 months, and then 4 in my home country), but I have assumed that the one-year begins the moment you actually enter the country, NOT from the date the visa is issued. The latter makes no sense at all, cos you are effectively in danger of reducing a 12-month visa to 10 months.

Someone put me out of my misery, please. Time for a siesta.

Sorry Blazes missed the 1st VISA, the terminology is incorrect, OP is referring to first ENTRY.

You are correct, the period of stay, in this case 60 days, starts from the date of entry but the VISA expires on 8 dec so all entries must be made before that date.

As previously noted terms like visa, entry, permission to stay etc can get mixed up.

Agree time for a rest.

rgds

Just two points to be accurate :

- the visa is NOT delivered for 60 days BUT for 58 days... this may cause a trouble for those who do not care... Just check your passport : on the squarred stamp, the date "Admitted until" is written

- the single entry visa is valid 3 months (ie you have to use it within 3 months), the double entry visa is valid 6 months

Edited by jadejames

Just two points to be accurate :

- the visa is NOT delivered for 60 days BUT for 58 days... this may cause a trouble for those who do not care... Just check your passport : on the squarred stamp, the date "Admitted until" is written

- the single visa is valid 30 days (ie you can use it within 30 days), the double visa is valid 60 days

A tourist visa is valid for 60 days, with day 1 being the day of entry and you must leave by day 60 (or get ane extension).

A single tourist visa is valif for 60 days, a double entry for 2 times 60 days, unless you are not from a country valling under the visa exempt entry scheme, than a tourist visa is 30 days and a double two times 30 days. (Not 60 days in a row, you have to leave the country to activate the second entry).