Thanksgiving Dinner

NguuMuu

Any good recommendations for a Thanksgiving dinner this year?

As close to the real thing as possible would be nice. With turkey and all the other traditional fare.

Where and about how much should I pay? Will I need to book somewhere in advance?

Last year the holiday just slid right by and it was a week later when I realized it.

I saw an ad in the Bangkok Post today for the Bourbon Street Restaurant, Bar and Boutique Hotel, www.bourbonstbkk.com , 29/4-6 Sukhumvit Soi 22, Washington Square.

A Thanksgiving Day Buffet, 650++baht/person on Nov 24 noon-10:30 PM; 595++baht/person on Nov 25 (leftovers?) 6:00 PM - 10:30 PM

I did a search and there were some posts from last year, but I can't recall the details.

First, let me say that I like Bourbon St and eat the often. I love their breakfasts and I meet with a friend there about once a month.

However, I would not recommend Bourbon St for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Two or three years ago, I went with a group of about 9 or 10. Because we waited for everyone to arrive before going through the line, Doug kept hustling us, telling us to move along.

Then, when we did go get some food, there was no white meat turkey. In fact, we either had to stand aroung the buffet waiting for the staff to bring things out or go back for what we didn't get the first time around.

The upshot is that it was not a good experience and I will not go back.

I've heard that the Marriott serves a good turkey dinner -- at a higher price. I, myself, have been to what is now the Raffles Hotel at Nailert Park on Wireless a couple of times. Also more expensive that Bourbon St but a great atmosphere and no problems with the food.

For those that might want to tuck in at home, Foodland had an ad. in today's Bangkok Post for home-cooked turkey and ham, available Nov 21-26. Example: Roasted Turkey with Gravy, 390 baht per kg. It said to order three days in advance at the deli department.

Any good recommendations for a Thanksgiving dinner this year?  As close to the real thing as possible would be nice.  With turkey and all the other traditional fare.  Where and about how much should I pay?  Will I need to book somewhere in advance?

Imperial Queen's Park Hotel in Sukhumvit 22 is advertising an authentic Yankee-style, Thanksgiving dinner: including clam chowder,roast turkey with traditional stuffing, pumpkin and apple pie, and all the rest.

It's a buffet - all you can eat.

I eat at the Queen's Park dining room once or twice a week.

The food is consistently excellent.

For farang/European foods, they do get the flavors just right.

There are buffets at every meal - breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The variety is huge.

The regular menu offerings (not buffet) are equally good.

Making a reservation would be smart.

But, knowing the level of service at that hotel, if you didn't have a reservation, they would most likely smile and find seating for you - but you might have a wait.

Like everything else at Queen's Park Hotel, it's not cheap: 750++.

Maybe cheaper for children, I don't know.

If you want more details, send PM to me, and I'll ask next time I'm there.

http://www.imperialhotels.com/queenspark/dining.html

• 1 year later...

Passing by last night, I saw a sign in front of Bully's Pub (Suk Road between Soi 4 and the JW Marriott, advertising their Thanksgiving Day turkey buffet dinner. Sign said 1 - 10 pm, for 490 baht, I believe.

Never eaten there and have no connection. But I've seen comments here in the past about their food in general being good.

John, formerly L.A.

Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit - Atrium Cafe

Full 5 star buffet and 40% discount if you pay using a platinum credit card. Makes the buffet price 600 baht net.

Bourbon Street? Bad experience as well. Wait staff couldn't keep up and the buffet was not cleaned regularly. Cheaper at the Landmark. Its a no brainer really.

Full 5 star buffet and 40% discount if you pay using a platinum credit card. Makes the buffet price 600 baht net.

Bourbon Street? Bad experience as well. Wait staff couldn't keep up and the buffet was not cleaned regularly. Cheaper at the Landmark. Its a no brainer really.

what time and is that with any platinum card?

I saw an ad in the Bangkok Post today for the Bourbon Street Restaurant, Bar and Boutique Hotel, www.bourbonstbkk.com , 29/4-6 Sukhumvit Soi 22, Washington Square.

A Thanksgiving Day Buffet, 650++baht/person on Nov 24 noon-10:30 PM; 595++baht/person on Nov 25 (leftovers?) 6:00 PM - 10:30 PM

I did a search and there were some posts from last year, but I can't recall the details.

Yes, and you better make a reservation now if you have decided. Bourbon place is kinda small and easily booked up. But jbowman1993's right about Wait staff couldn't keep up and the buffet was not cleaned regularly. They hardly keep up when that place is fulled!

Edited by legag

what time and is that with any platinum card?

The serve lunch and dinner I believe, check their website for details. They said any platinum card would receive the discount.

Landmark used to have a discount of 50% for parties of 4 or more. That is no longer offered, but this discount is almost the same thing. Also, I should note, the price of their buffett is lower than it was last year. Im sure the quality will still be the same, so that is a great value. On of the best going, I would imagine. Bourbon Street? Not a snowball's chance in hel_l....

Like everything else at Queen's Park Hotel, it's not cheap: 750++.

Maybe cheaper for children, I don't know.

I called to make reservations at the Queen's Park Hotel. Just thought you should know that Thanksgiving dinner at there is 1100++. Lunch is 770++ but they will not be serving turkey.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can barely stay upright!!!!!.... Hehehehehe

Thanks to the posted recommendation of jbowman1993, I just came back from a GREAT Thanksgiving Dinner buffet at the Landmark Hotel's Atrium Cafe (Suk Rd. between Sois 4 and 6). After living on much-loved Thai food for the past two months, it was time to binge eat on the best American holiday for this.

Ate so much, I can barely stand, much less type.... hehehehe.... But, it was my first visit to the Atrium, and I must say the service and staff were absolutely first-rate EXCELLENT. I only wish everywhere was so professional, gracious and attentive.

As for the meal, the turkey was particularly good (very tender and moist), though some of the supporting cooked dishes (such as baked fish and salmon fillets) seemed a bit dry as if they'd been sitting around for a while. But the selection of choices was outstanding, too many things to even begin to try all. Four soups, probably a dozen salads, fresh seafood, freshly cooked pastas to order, fresh cut fruits, countless deserts, and on and on and on.

But, since Thanksgiving is now done, I should add a correction and update to some previously posted info re discounts at the Landmark's Atrium cafe.

Their 40% meal discount for their lunch and dinner buffets during the month of November is being given to everyone who pays with a Platinum OR Gold credit card, not only Platinum cards. This was explained to me by the staff upon my arrival, and confirmed by an item the hotel's monthly dining newsletter that I found while there.

I'm not sure about the regular pricing of their day-to-day lunch and dinner buffets. But my Thanksgiving buffet dinner had a posted price of 750++, which got knocked down to 400++ after a 350 baht discount. (I should note, the discount is only off the meal price regardless of the size of the party, but not beverages).

All in all, I can recommend this place as a wonderful holiday meal choice. The setting in the restaurant is first-class and upscale, the service is terrific, and they did a great job of keeping all the food refreshed and available -- unlike some of the complaints that have been lodged here against past holiday buffets at places such as Bourbon Street.

One thing hard to figure... when I called early afternoon for a reservation, the manager told me their first seating starting at 6 pm was full, but that I probably could get a table around 9 pm, which was fine for me. But then, he called about 5 pm to say he had just one table available at 6 pm, if I wanted it, which I did. But then when I arrived and stayed from 6 to 8 pm, they always had open tables in the restaurant. The entire experience was pleasantly relaxed, uncrowded and enjoyable. No waiting in long lines or having to elbow with folks.

I'd give them a big thumb's up for Thanksgiving (and any other day). And the 40% discount makes a great buffet dining experience an even better deal.

John, formerly from L.A.

Their 40% meal discount for their lunch and dinner buffets during the month of November is being given to everyone who pays with a Platinum OR Gold credit card, not only Platinum cards. This was explained to me by the staff upon my arrival, and confirmed by an item the hotel's monthly dining newsletter that I found while there.

Very useful, thanks. Now if I can only find time this month to go down there... btw you did confirm that was platinum or gold of any type, not just Amex?

• 2 years later...