1Kd-Ftv

frankie52

I have recently been sent some information, from a friend in England, regarding problems with Toyota diesels. The suggestion is that there is a problem with the copper seals on the injectors and these should be replaced with aluminium ones.

The information suggests that if there are problems with the injectors it can result in a very expensive repair bill involving holes in pistons etc.

Has anyone else heard these reports and know of what remedy is likely to be available in Thailand?

• 2 weeks later...

Have read this stuff before and perhaps Thai Toyota remedy this at a ''service''. Don't know but many here have oldish rides with no probs. :)

Toyota in UK are doing this under warranty now...even on trucks that had their injectors changed previously. Takes about 4 or 5 hours allegedly so doubt they're doing it during a normal service. I'm replacing my nozzles soon (bigger) so should end up with the correct washers.

Any explaination as to what happens because of a copper washers.??

Here's what someone said about Toyota HiLux Vigo 3.0 - D4D - failed diesel injectors - a known fault? As I understand it ... the copper injector seals let exhaust fumes past, which enters the oil. The oil becomes gradually gunged up, and when the oil strainer gets blocked the engine can be terminally damaged due to oil starvation.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me.:blink:

The only way leaking injector seals can gunge up an engine is if the injectors are under the rocker/valve cover, and to block the oil pick up strainer in the sump? it really has to be severe leakage to do this, im not famillair with this engine, is it a 4cyl, 6cyl? but 4/5 hours to change the injectors? I would think they are doing something else, like replacing the valve stem oil seals, which do suffer with high commpression turboed engines. Also, the many large and small diesel engines ive serviced/overhauled/rebuilds ect have always had copper washers, no known problems, i know nowadays they are using ali washers, why? cheap, but the home enthusiast cant aneal ali washers, whereas he can copper,

Seems pre 2008 D4D had leakage with copper seals :huh: and since have used alloy. In Europe Toyota has been replacing the things under warranty and older rides. :ermm: Mines late 2007, hmmm, wonder what material l have.

Seems the engines with the dodgy seals sound noisier than normal if the seals leak.

Seems pre 2008 D4D had leakage with copper seals :huh: and since have used alloy. In Europe Toyota has been replacing the things under warranty and older rides. :ermm: Mines late 2007, hmmm, wonder what material l have.

Seems the engines with the dodgy seals sound noisier than normal if the seals leak.

It makes sense to me now and as already said, it's a known fault, and as I understand it ... the copper injector seals let exhaust fumes past, which enters the oil.

The oil becomes gradually gunged up, and when the oil strainer gets blocked the engine can be terminally damaged due to oil starvation.

I would say this would only show up on very high mileage ( Kilos ) and under a proper early ECU diagnosis be avoided.

Probably good idea to drop the pan and get the oil strainer checked and cleaned or changed.

The injectors are in the cam cover.

post-87530-0-34985700-1322372714_thumb.j

Edited by Kwasaki

It makes sense to me now and as already said, it's a known fault, and as I understand it ... the copper injector seals let exhaust fumes past, which enters the oil.

The oil becomes gradually gunged up, and when the oil strainer gets blocked the engine can be terminally damaged due to oil starvation.

I would say this would only show up on very high mileage ( Kilos ) and under a proper early ECU diagnosis be avoided.

Probably good idea to drop the pan and get the oil strainer checked and cleaned or changed.

The injectors are in the cam cover.

And using my finely tuned hooter (nose) :huh: l cannot detect any bad stuff going on in the oil in my ride . :D

And using my finely tuned hooter (nose) :huh: l cannot detect any bad stuff going on in the oil in my ride . :D

That's exactly right, anyone even with a little knowledge can detect something is not right using their " sensors ".:D