Pick Up Truck, Which Is The Best Out There?

WebBangkok

Vigo and Fortuners have proven a great success in Thailand but it's old technology. Over 7 years they've made a change here and there. Which as others say, it made them well rounded. But when everything is considered they're old hat, especially the interiors.

I'm sure they'll be an all new model coming. Because the latest reincarnation looks weird. Seems they've run out of design ideas for grilles.

Mazda, Ford, Chev are definitely more current dynamically and interiors. D Max and Mitzu aren't far behind. But as others say, they're all trucks and I don't know why bother. I have a Honda Accord and on the rare occasion I need to move crap around I rent a ute.

Anyway, each to their own.

So Bloody True Mate , think these Truckies got Walkabout Fervour, or Puss Whipped biggrin.gif.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without knowing why you want a Pik Up for its impossible to advise . For Example , if you want one for a trucks intended purpose of carrying as much weight and abuse as possible , you need a Nissan Rock Solid no frills Model.. If you want a Blinger for Lotus anything else about will do. giggle.gif.

Ford for sure, spare parts if you have an accident are cheaper than most others, and my 1st one went 400,000 kms without any repairs other than normal maintenance. Resale value is a bit less than some others but new buying price is a bit less also. Ford has the new models out and they have that larger pick up with 5 cly. Open cab's are good if you do not just have to have 4 doors and they are lots cheaper to pay license reg on.

Vigo and Fortuners have proven a great success in Thailand but it's old technology. Over 7 years they've made a change here and there. Which as others say, it made them well rounded. But when everything is considered they're old hat, especially the interiors.

I'm sure they'll be an all new model coming. Because the latest reincarnation looks weird. Seems they've run out of design ideas for grilles.

Mazda, Ford, Chev are definitely more current dynamically and interiors. D Max and Mitzu aren't far behind. But as others say, they're all trucks and I don't know why bother. I have a Honda Accord and on the rare occasion I need to move crap around I rent a ute.

Anyway, each to their own.

So Bloody True Mate , think these Truckies got Walkabout Fervour, or Puss Whipped biggrin.gif.

I previously owned a manual Ford Ranger and now own an auto Yaris but will change back to the new 6A/T 2.2 Ranger when it is released. Many of the roads are very poor where I live and the Ranger handled them fine whereas you can really feel it in the Yaris. The Ranger was also much more economical with a bigger tank and more comfortable to drive. It also felt a lot safer being in a bigger vehicle and being so high up. There are many reasons people choose a pick-up over a car and, with the new pick-ups being even more car like, they will become even more popular.

The many medium sized Toyota Type vehicles and other makes that carry people in comfort , don't get much mention here for some reason. I looked in a Suzuki and a Kia the other day , they look just right for the Lotus Runners. Hi Ride , fancy seats etc .Better than a truck imo. The Toyo was about truck price i think... I dont like MONDAYS.annoyed.gif

The many medium sized Toyota Type vehicles and other makes that carry people in comfort , don't get much mention here for some reason.

You're suprised no-one talks about the Altis? 555 :D

Actually, for all we know, many people might have... but they probably go so bored talking about that snooze-fest that they fell asleep at the keyboard before being able to hit the post button :D

The many medium sized Toyota Type vehicles and other makes that carry people in comfort , don't get much mention here for some reason.

You're suprised no-one talks about the Altis? 555 :D

Actually, for all we know, many people might have... but they probably go so bored talking about that snooze-fest that they fell asleep at the keyboard before being able to hit the post button :D

Well they talk about builders trucks enough ,Nah , i mean them tall things Green Thais Drive like a Nissan Cube. Lets get Orgasmic about the New Champ Badge. Perhaps we can talk about why the new Rover is smaller than an Altis. Only a Nutter would pay that price.biggrin.gif. Id sooner have a Mini Cooper.

The Ford Ranger and Mazda BT-50 are the clear market leaders, without any doubt. Although it's a new design, all of the major components have all had several years in other Ford products, so the teething issues have been sorted, and refinements made. I'd wait for the 3.2L versions though - the 2.2L is a great engine, but it's a big truck..

I was all prepared to ditch my current pickup in favour of a 3.2 Ranger when they finally hit the market, having talked to a various people (supposedly in the know) now I have deferred my decision and wait for at-least 12 months until the bugs (of which there are plenty it seems) are sorted out.

Bugs? Please do share :)

I've been following this thread waiting for a reply from Spoonman, it's seems he has shares in Ford Thailand or has signed a confidentiality waiver when the "in the know" people told him of such problems. I've been searching for these teething problems to be reported in Aus and the only one I've found is a faulty radiator pump and loose hoses. Has anybody else heard any developments on a fault that would make a buyer walk away as soon as hearing it? Future customers like myself would love to know all the facts before walking into a dealer, I'm sure that's why most use this forum.jap.gif

I am firmly of the opinion that people should buy the one they like the best. There are NO bad pickups. I do, out of curiosity, talk to guys who drive different kinds and the only guy to really complain was a Thai driving a Tata. I couldn't really understand what he was saying, and eventually was sorry that I asked him.

The Ford Ranger and Mazda BT-50 are the clear market leaders, without any doubt. Although it's a new design, all of the major components have all had several years in other Ford products, so the teething issues have been sorted, and refinements made. I'd wait for the 3.2L versions though - the 2.2L is a great engine, but it's a big truck..

I was all prepared to ditch my current pickup in favour of a 3.2 Ranger when they finally hit the market, having talked to a various people (supposedly in the know) now I have deferred my decision and wait for at-least 12 months until the bugs (of which there are plenty it seems) are sorted out.

Bugs? Please do share :)

I've been following this thread waiting for a reply from Spoonman, it's seems he has shares in Ford Thailand or has signed a confidentiality waiver when the "in the know" people told him of such problems. I've been searching for these teething problems to be reported in Aus and the only one I've found is a faulty radiator pump and loose hoses. Has anybody else heard any developments on a fault that would make a buyer walk away as soon as hearing it? Future customers like myself would love to know all the facts before walking into a dealer, I'm sure that's why most use this forum.jap.gif

Yeah cant really say to much as at the end of the day it is "down the pub" talk but was enough for me to wait a while as it would piss me no end having a brand new car die in the middle of no where due to electrical gremlins.

Edited by Spoonman

Perhaps Spoonman is hinting about Dual Suppliers of Wiring Looms . One supplier isn't as good as the other. So much for Fords own S.Q.A. ... Rists the English manufacturer of Looms at one time, and Lucas were the cause of Brit Cars getting a bad name for Electrics. Remember ........Yanks say Brits Drink Warm Beer because Lucas made their Fridges .drunk.gif.

Perhaps Spoonman is hinting about Dual Suppliers of Wiring Looms . One supplier isn't as good as the other. So much for Fords own S.Q.A. ... Rists the English manufacturer of Looms at one time, and Lucas were the cause of Brit Cars getting a bad name for Electrics. Remember ........Yanks say Brits Drink Warm Beer because Lucas made their Fridges .drunk.gif.

God man, still don't understand your posts., Type them and read them yourself before posting and if you understand them, eeeeeer OK. :huh:

Although I really like the Ford Ranger, especially the interior, I am hesitant because of the possibility of those "bugs". Also a friend of mine has a 4 or 5 year old Ford Focus that has had it's fair share of issues...wouldn't start, air con crapped out, and most puzzling, the instrument read-out panel needed to be replaced. From what I hear from her, Ford service sucks. While the features and aesthetics play on my emotions, logic and reasoning is telling me to stay away

Edited by mr3cho

God man, still don't understand your posts., Type them and read them yourself before posting and if you understand them, eeeeeer OK. :huh:

Must agree I read many post but W/S one's throw me all I can glean so far is that everything is rubbish except the Pajero or any Mitsu I think???

For the Op get what ever suit's you they are all pretty good. Except the Triton that's because of their crap styling. But make sure it's got 4x4. Reason having driven all over Thailand for well over 25 year's, the amount of time's I have needed a 4x4 is to numerous to mention. Have just had to do a bit of running about in the flood's If I hadn't had it I would have been in the do do's big time. Not going into the three time's that I have lost exhaust's on Vios type car's as that's off subject.

Must agree I read many post but W/S one's throw me all I can glean so far is that everything is rubbish except the Pajero or any Mitsu I think???

For the Op get what ever suit's you they are all pretty good. Except the Triton that's because of their crap styling. But make sure it's got 4x4. Reason having driven all over Thailand for well over 25 year's, the amount of time's I have needed a 4x4 is to numerous to mention. Have just had to do a bit of running about in the flood's If I hadn't had it I would have been in the do do's big time. Not going into the three time's that I have lost exhaust's on Vios type car's as that's off subject.

after 6 vigo/tuna with 4x4 I have come to the opposite conclusion. It is very seldom I wade more than 50cm any more, mud is seldom deeper than 20cm, the roads have become so much better past decade and almost every klong has a bridge now.

I will do fine with a hirider, no 4x4

after 6 vigo/tuna with 4x4 I have come to the opposite conclusion. It is very seldom I wade more than 50cm any more, mud is seldom deeper than 20cm, the roads have become so much better past decade and almost every klong has a bridge now.

I will do fine with a hirider, no 4x4

Good luck :D. Phone me if you get stuck. :lol:

I normally agree with KBB but if you had been in BKK this last week, on the frontage road's with all the water and slime you might have said thank Buddha for a 4x4 I followed a couple of pick up's and their back end's were slipping all over the place, one just gave up the ghost and went back onto the main road just to sit even longer in traffic. I know this flood situation is not normal but just give the so called better road's around and north of BKK a try now, For the little bit extra be well prepared go the full hog.

I normally agree with KBB but if you had been in BKK this last week, on the frontage road's with all the water and slime you might have said thank Buddha for a 4x4 I followed a couple of pick up's and their back end's were slipping all over the place, one just gave up the ghost and went back onto the main road just to sit even longer in traffic. I know this flood situation is not normal but just give the so called better road's around and north of BKK a try now, For the little bit extra be well prepared go the full hog.

Appreciate what you are saying Fred, but many of us are not experiencing the situation in Bangkok, it stopped raining weeks ago in our province & I for one never have to drive down to Bangers, no need what so ever!.

ph34r.gif