Residents Of Flood-Hit Homes Advised To Get Rid Of Mould Quickly

webfact

Residents of flood-hit homes advised to get rid of mould quickly

The Nation

30169903-01.jpg

Flood-hit residents should start clean-up operations at their homes within 48 hours of flood water subsiding, so as to minimise mould problems, Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Paijit Warachit said yesterday.

"Scrub flood-affected floors and walls as soon as possible," he said.

Paijit warned against repainting to cover mould-affected walls. "If you can't remove the mould from your stuff, you will need to replace it," he said.

Mould growth is not always visible. Sometimes, an earthy or musty smell is the only sign of the presence of mould, which can carry health risks ranging from difficulty breathing and eye irritation in allergy-prone people, to serious infections in those suffering with chronic conditions such as hypertension and heart disease.

"Throw away any item from which all the mould cannot be removed," Paijit advised.

Paijit recommended that furniture, walls, toilets and bathrooms be scrubbed using cleaning liquid.

During the cleaning, he said doors and windows should be left open to improve ventilation, while cleaners should wear protective gear including rubber boots, rubber gloves, eyewear and facial masks.

"For flood-water-soaked clothes, wash and then boil them," he said.

Paijit said all kitchen utensils at flooded houses should be thoroughly washed before use.

"Your air-conditioners should be cleaned too," he added.

Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri said mould could become a problem if a house was flooded for more than two consecutive days.

"You need to check ceiling boards, pipes and wallpaper," he advised.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-15

Dear Mr. Public Health Minister,

We promise to get rid of the mold quickly if the government gives us our 5,000 baht quicker.

Sincerely,

Q.Public

P.S. Yeah, we know you told us to wear helmets when riding motorcycles, drive on the left hand side of the road, not to sell and use yaba and a few other things before and that didn't work out so good.

Edited by NotAllowed

Wife heard rumor that Gov't will offer baht 30,000 to homes that flooded to help cleanup and repair . Part of rumor was proof of flood was needed such as photo of flooded house with address showing. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Well, some innovative photoshoppers could be in for a win-fall.

For anyone who might become flooded - get large sheets of plastic and cover your soft furniture and raise everything up - preferably move everything to the top second if you have it. I even sealed my massively heavy display cabinet (chipboard), just to have 30 cm of flood water tip it over and get destroyed. I'm sorry this advise is late but just from what I have learned. Hope it will help those who might get flooded along the ocean areas. If you have been flooded try to get back to air out your house - this should reduce to likelihood of mould.

Mould is nasty stuff - we returned to find out house putrid. We have cleaned and done ozone treatment. You will also have mould on the second floor, but not as much as the flooded area. Ozone and cleaning should clear most of the mould. On the day of the treatment there was mould on my "leather" sofa. I did try to clean it manually without much success. Will see if the ozone can reduce it further when I go back next weekend.

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

<br />Dear Minister of Wealth ... oops ... Health,<br /><br />You said mould would start developing after two days. My house has been stuck in floodwater, even until now, for 4 weeks in Bangbuathong. Any bright ideas, buddy?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Bulldoze it, build new.

I am sure the 5000 baht compensation should cover it... NOT.

Any suggestions on what type of cleaner will best kill mold?

Vinegar. Baking Soda. Bleach (doesn't work on porous surfaces (wood etc)). Ammonia.

http://blackmold.awa...emove-mold.html

http://www.mould.com...saboutmould.htm

Get those yellow or green bug sprayer pump cans with shoulder strap and nozzel wand.

Throw in a full thing of bleach, minimally diluted and spray it around everywhere, not just where you SEE mold.

If you SEE mold douse it big time.

If it is still there a few days later you will need to replace the surface. Like sheet rock or wood.

Sometimes you can not kill it if it is too deeply dug in.

Take this 120% seriously this stuff is DEADLY....

I spent 2 months killing mold off in a narrow ceiling dormer after the April floods.

I came very close to pulling the whole roof off and replacing the plywood.

Edited by animatic

Vinegar. Baking Soda. Bleach (doesn't work on porous surfaces (wood etc)). Ammonia.

Make sure you DO NOT combine the bleach with ammonia!!!

DO NOT COMBINE...

use any one, not all together.

You can use a different one later if the earlier one didn't work enough.

Edited by animatic

Make sure you DO NOT combine the bleach with ammonia!!!

DO NOT COMBINE...

use any one, not all together.

You can use a different one later if the earlier one didn't work enough.

You can combine Vinegar with Baking Soda or with Hydrogen Peroxide.

Basically, just don't use Ammonia. It's toxic. There are other products that are better and less (or not) toxic.

Bleach is far the best to kill mould, well diluted, also get your A/C working as soon as possible and turn it onto the de-humidification cycle, not cold one, seal the room and keep it running. The room will dry out quicker than relying on warm weather and if you can add air movers (fans) even better. This from experience of drying houses, factories and other properties for some 30 plus years, all to do with Air Psychrometrics.

On some parts of Samui we live with damp/moulds for 3-4 months every year, there is no specific cure. You can put the old fashion light bulbs in wardrobes etc, good ventilation is a must, though the air is often so humid. Air cons are expensive to keep running permanently, but it's probably the only cure if you have them and can afford the electric bill. Dehumidifiers, sold as crystals in plastic containers are ok and will last a week or so. Take care.

Bleach is far the best to kill mould, well diluted, also get your A/C working as soon as possible and turn it onto the de-humidification cycle, not cold one, seal the room and keep it running. The room will dry out quicker than relying on warm weather and if you can add air movers (fans) even better. This from experience of drying houses, factories and other properties for some 30 plus years, all to do with Air Psychrometrics.

Bleach kills mould on the surface, but doesn't get into porous materials to kill mould properly.

:o As many have saId bleach is best, but I find this impossible to find in Thailand, all the proprietory cleansers use hydrochloric acid, often at 30% strength! This will certainly kill the mould, it will also eat into any plaster or cement it comes into contact with.

You can make bleach by the electrolysis of salt water, just hold the current low enough to stop the water turning green B)

Actually mould is not the problem, it is the spores, so ventilation is essential. Aircons must be not just cleaned but sterilised, they are a perfect breeding ground for not just fungi but many nastier things.

google

Legionaires disease

Polluted water a threat to Gulf sea-life

JANJIRA PONGRAI

THE NATION

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Wibul Sanguanpong urged people in flood-hit homes not to use chemicals during the flood and to securely cover containers with chemicals and put them away in case they leak into the water and cause harm or an allergic reaction by some people.

Dear Mr Health Minister....... what do you suggest???

Check out PBM DeoMist, it's a very efficient anti-mold and anti-odor solution from Japan. It is already available in Thailand from importer Trading Green Ltd. in Bangkok. They usually sell B2B but can also sell to home owners. I have used DeoMist in my home and haven't had mold since: it used to come out with every raining season. I know it is quite popular as well with hotels and resorts.