Anybody Tried Grinding Market-Bought Beef For Hamburgers?

Lopburi99

• 1 month later...

Makro sells electric grinders and sausage stuffers if you're interested. I have asked the meat people at Lotus to grind beef for me, no problem.

They dont sell household grinders unfortunately. Electric ones are both ugly and expensive. I wish I could find kenwood or any other brands electric meat grinder in Thailand. I will check again once I visit Bangkok.

i have never baht into the onion soup mix burger or all that garlic.

As my old mother used to make em:

ground beef (not lean)

a bit of lawrys seasoning salt

ground black petter

finely diced red onion

egg yolk to bind

throw it on a hot hot grill abt 3 mins per side and only flip once

i was very sad when i used some aussi rib eye for ground beef and the burger was very bland,and dry must have been me as i cant imagine why it was so dry and simply not a good burger.

There’s two ways, in my opinion, to go about making a burger at home.

1. The seasoned burger, usually done when you buy ground beef to add more flavor to the meat. Kind of like making meatloaf into a burger format. Though this can be quite tasty, I shy away from it because most ground beef is ass and lips. I also dislike the ammonia bath that this type of meat gets in the US – not sure about Thailand. If I do this, I usually use some soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper to flavor.
  2. A steak burger, where you take meat and grind it up (either yourself or at the butcher). This makes a far superior burger, but takes some effort and has a number of pitfalls.

Here are my recommendations for making a steak burger.

1. Do not use expensive cuts of meat, like ribeye. It’s a waste of money and tastes worse in a burger. Cheaper cuts of meat work much better and save money. I use chuck, but flank steak and skirt steak works well too. The issue here is fat, unless its chuck, you will need to add beef fat – or chop up some fatty bacon in the mix.
  2. For safety reasons, I generally grind my meat at home. If you do not have a meat grinder, a food processer works well. Simply cube the meat and keep it in the fridge until it’s very cold, then pulse in the food processor until you have a consistency that’s just a bit bigger than what you see in the store.
  3. I only add salt and pepper to the mix, no need for anything else.
  4. Keep the burger a manageable size and in a consistent shape so it cooks evenly.
  5. Don’t forget to sear it, and then don’t overcook it - treat it like a steak (unless the meat was ground at the store (like a ground chuck), then you have a bacteria worry and need to cook it more thoroughly, hence it’s better to grind your own).

Edited by Furbie