Anybody Tried Grinding Market-Bought Beef For Hamburgers?

Lopburi99

I really want to be able to grill up a semi-decent hamburger since it is impossible to find one here in Lopburi. I have never even seen any form of ground beef in Big C or Tesco Lotus so I am thinking grinding my own is worth a try. At least beef is available bulk at the nearby traditional market. Anybody ground their own? Any marinading or seasoning suggestions?

Oh, also I need to purchase a hand meat grinder somewhere. They must be available but I haven't found one yet. Any suggestions where?

Thanks.

Found this on Yahoo:

Before you even form that first perfect patty, you need to season your meat. The difference between a good burger and a fabulous burger has a lot to do with seasoning.

I like to mix all my seasoning thoroughly into the ground beef in a big bowl and then let it sit covered for at least a half an hour before I even form the patties. This serves 2 purposes, first: it gives the meat time to absorb the spices, second: it brings your meat closer to room temperature, which makes it cook better.

So here is the formula:

for every pound of ground beef mix in,

1/2 tsp Season-All seasoned salt

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp worchestershire sauce

& last but not least: 1/2 tsp granulated Garlic powder

Not garlic salt, not powdery garlic powder make sure it's the right stuff

Optional:

1 Tbls grated onion

I personally always use the onion. Grated onion is like juicy onion pulp and mixes in really nice. Just peel a small onion and slide it up and down a chesse grater or grate it in your food processor. I personally don't mess with food processor, it's just too much fuss and muss.

After you've let the meat sit awhile form your patties and you're almost ready to go.

After your patties are formed sprinkle them with a little more garlic powder, black pepper and season-all, or if you want a super fantastic burger sprinkle them generously with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning, yum-yum

Also to really make special burgers, instead of worchestershire sauce, instead mix in a Tbls of Masterpiece Steakhouse Marinade sauce or Lawrey's Steak and chop marinade. MMmmmm Mmmmm good!

Okay, so now you're almost ready to cook these bad boys, but there are 2 more secrets to go before you start and always remember the real secret to being a great cook is patience!

Always toast the buns!

This is an easy step, but essential to elevate your burgers from flat to fabulous!

Make sure your pan is super hot before you even put the patties in it. That's why toasting the buns in the same pan is a good idea, it gives the pan time to really heat up.

DO NOT SQUISH THE BURGER DOWN WITH THE SPATULA!!!

DO NOT MOVE BURGERS AROUND WITH THE SPATULA!

ONLY FLIP THE BURGER ONCE!

The squishier the burger, the rarer it is. When the patties are cooked just right put them on buns, add your favorite condiments and enjoy. Remember that hamburgers keep cooking even out of the pan until someone takes a bite, so dont let your burgers sit around or keep them warm in the oven. The best burger is right out of the pan!"

Also found worth mentioning:

"A package of dry onion soup mixed in the ground beef or a package of Ranch Dressing."

...and here is a rather in-depth article - wow!:

http://aht.seriousea...round-beef.html

Edited by Lopburi99

i have been making my own burgers for the last 2years with beef bought from the market,normally they have a mincing machine and will do it for you whatever large or small.one recipe i like is mince beef,chpd.onion,garlic,oregano,cumin,parsley and some chilli sauce,make small amounts till y get the right taste.i also like a pork burger[hamburger]

i have been making my own burgers for the last 2years with beef bought from the market,normally they have a mincing machine and will do it for you whatever large or small.one recipe i like is mince beef,chpd.onion,garlic,oregano,cumin,parsley and some chilli sauce,make small amounts till y get the right taste.i also like a pork burger[hamburger]

Thanks for the info meatboy. We'll inquire at the market today. BTW, the pork burger idea has interested me also because pork here is of much better quality. Do your pork burgers taste clearly like pork or with the spices you use are they not far from tasting beef-like?

You can ground or minced meat in your local "big" market every week. Sometimes in your local every day market( both afternoon, evening markets). Big C does sell ground or minced beef, and I am told it is quite good. Makro do sell Grinders or Mincers, many different sizes.

You can ground or minced meat in your local "big" market every week. Sometimes in your local every day market( both afternoon, evening markets). Big C does sell ground or minced beef, and I am told it is quite good. Makro do sell Grinders or Mincers, many different sizes.

Hmm. Good to know, I'll check that out. We have two Big Cs here, the 'Carfoo' whistling.gif we had didn't make it and Big C took it over. So far some of the brand name imported items only Carfoo offered are still being carried. Hope that continues.

Thanks for the info meatboy. We'll inquire at the market today. BTW, the pork burger idea has interested me also because pork here is of much better quality. Do your pork burgers taste clearly like pork or with the spices you use are they not far from tasting beef-like?

i find pork burgers are somewhat more tasty as pork mince has added fat[flavour] pork mince,sage,garlic,salt/black pepper some cayenne or chilli powder,and i like to miss the last two and add some red curry paste.if i can get green apples i like to add a little apple sauce.yumeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I regularly make pork burgers. And no, they are nothing like hamburgers. I love pork, but the plain pork burgers are somewhat lacking in robust taste.

What I do is to make what I call a "Hawaiian Burger." They are seasoned with salt and pepper, then put in a pan with onion slices. Once they are browned, I add passionfruit juice, mirin, soy sauce, honey, shitake mushrooms, and Trader Joe's Soy Ginger Vinaigrette. (As most of you can't get to a Trader Joe's, you can use any soy-ginger dressing, and that is readily available here.)

Served on Hawaiian or Honolulu bread with two pieces of bacon and condiments of choice, and that is a pretty good burger.

I regularly make pork burgers. And no, they are nothing like hamburgers. I love pork, but the plain pork burgers are somewhat lacking in robust taste.

What I do is to make what I call a "Hawaiian Burger." They are seasoned with salt and pepper, then put in a pan with onion slices. Once they are browned, I add passionfruit juice, mirin, soy sauce, honey, shitake mushrooms, and Trader Joe's Soy Ginger Vinaigrette. (As most of you can't get to a Trader Joe's, you can use any soy-ginger dressing, and that is readily available here.)

Served on Hawaiian or Honolulu bread with two pieces of bacon and condiments of choice, and that is a pretty good burger.

that sounds yum yum but im not going to hawai or honolulu for bread :jap:

I used to have a restaurant doing homemade burgers. One of the key secrets of a decent burger is enough fat content to make them juicy. If you are BBQ-ing them this is essential, as the melted fat drops on the coals and burns, providing heat and flavor. Just grinding lean beef isn't always going to made a tasty burger.

I haven't bothered finding a grinder for minced pork and beef. I just do what the Thais do and hand chop it with a heavy cleaver. Surprisingly quick and the resulting slight uneveness of grind (ie not all the same size bits) adds texture that I find quite appealing. Good hand and arm exercise too!

that sounds yum yum but im not going to hawai or honolulu for bread :jap:

Many bakeries in Bangkok, at least, sell the sweet Hawaiian-style bread, which is of Portuguese origin, I believe. I usually see it sold as either Honolulu (at St. Etoile's bakery) or Hawaii bread at Yamanzaki.

I used to have a restaurant doing homemade burgers. One of the key secrets of a decent burger is enough fat content to make them juicy. If you are BBQ-ing them this is essential, as the melted fat drops on the coals and burns, providing heat and flavor. Just grinding lean beef isn't always going to made a tasty burger.

Correct. And that is why I always by 80% at the leanest, and I don't use the better grinds (sirloin, etc.).

:rolleyes:

I haven't tried it myself...mostly because my Thai wife won't let me in HER kitchen because as a male farang I can't possibly know how to cook (her perception of all farang males).

But if I did I wouldn't simply buy local beef, grind it and grill it.

That's the "kill it and throw it on the barbie while it's still fresh" fallacy common to many people, especially Aussies,

Marinade is the key to making marginal quality beef into "qality" beef. Marinade to soften and tenderise, marinade to remove any "objectionable" taste, marinade to give a "good" taste to the meat, marinade for quality.

I've even had people ask me where I got my good (Aussie, U.S., Euopean...whatever) beef before.

Sometimes it was Thai water buffalo.

Vinegar or Lemon juice/water marinades soften and tenderise beef. Milk/water marinades remove any taste from the meat. (Milk is basic...and removes the acidic taste of some beef).

Adding coarse black pepper and a little salt (sea-salt if you can find it) to the grind will improve the flavor of the burgers tremendously.

But I can't tell you what exactly...because it is mostly up to your individual taste and preference.

So experiment...and find what you like.

Good luck.

:D

I bought a meat grinder in our local Makro a few months back.

Using the beef from the market was ok for Spag Bol, but my first results for burgers were disappointing.

Thai beef is very lean. A percentage of fat must be added for flavor and to keep them from falling apart. Google can find a percentage for you and you can adjust to your liking.

If you do this, make sure you cook your burgers well as I highly doubt they are thouroughly cleaning the grinder after they use it for pork.

That is if you want to avoid trichinosis, e-coli, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont know if you thought of that but i recently noticed that if you order a burger at an expensive restaurant, they use chuck or flank or round which you can buy at makro. That way you can even eat it medium rare with no health problem from the cheap quality of minced beef sold at non-premium outlet.

Found this on Yahoo:

Before you even form that first perfect patty, you need to season your meat. The difference between a good burger and a fabulous burger has a lot to do with seasoning.

I like to mix all my seasoning thoroughly into the ground beef in a big bowl and then let it sit covered for at least a half an hour before I even form the patties. This serves 2 purposes, first: it gives the meat time to absorb the spices, second: it brings your meat closer to room temperature, which makes it cook better.

So here is the formula:

Optional:

1 Tbls grated onion

I personally always use the onion. Grated onion is like juicy onion pulp and mixes in really nice. Just peel a small onion and slide it up and down a chesse grater or grate it in your food processor. I personally don't mess with food processor, it's just too much fuss and muss.

After you've let the meat sit awhile form your patties and you're almost ready to go.

After your patties are formed sprinkle them with a little more garlic powder, black pepper and season-all, or if you want a super fantastic burger sprinkle them generously with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning, yum-yum

Also to really make special burgers, instead of worchestershire sauce, instead mix in a Tbls of Masterpiece Steakhouse Marinade sauce or Lawrey's Steak and chop marinade. MMmmmm Mmmmm good!

Okay, so now you're almost ready to cook these bad boys, but there are 2 more secrets to go before you start and always remember the real secret to being a great cook is patience!

Always toast the buns!

This is an easy step, but essential to elevate your burgers from flat to fabulous!

Make sure your pan is super hot before you even put the patties in it. That's why toasting the buns in the same pan is a good idea, it gives the pan time to really heat up.

The squishier the burger, the rarer it is. When the patties are cooked just right put them on buns, add your favorite condiments and enjoy. Remember that hamburgers keep cooking even out of the pan until someone takes a bite, so dont let your burgers sit around or keep them warm in the oven. The best burger is right out of the pan!"

"A package of dry onion soup mixed in the ground beef or a package of Ranch Dressing."

sounds good and proper cooking as well

but

not sure why you need too put all that stuff into a hamburger???

I like to tastes the fat from the meat not all that other stuff..

If the meat is good and fresh and properly processed hard to find in Thailand..

(not Thai market fly infested rice fed crap no flavor beef found all over Thailand)

then all you need is a hot bbq grill season with salt and pepper medium rare with letuce tomato slice onion and mayo on a hot buttered grilled bun is the way to go....

not found in Thailand im afraid

but will try your style if i can find some meat worth eating

yum :blink:

Found this on Yahoo:

So here is the formula:

Optional:

1 Tbls grated onion

Always toast the buns!

sounds good and proper cooking as well

but

not sure why you need too put all that stuff into a hamburger???

I like to tastes the fat from the meat not all that other stuff..

If the meat is good and fresh and properly processed hard to find in Thailand..

(not Thai market fly infested rice fed crap no flavor beef found all over Thailand)

then all you need is a hot bbq grill season with salt and pepper medium rare with letuce tomato slice onion and mayo on a hot buttered grilled bun is the way to go....

not found in Thailand im afraid

but will try your style if i can find some meat worth eating

yum :blink:

Funny this should pop up just now as I have just this minute finished eating a burger made to those instructions (minus the granulated garlic, couldn't find any and I'm not too keen on garlic anyway)

It was delicious, and made with the ordinary Thai market beef.

I put my electric wok at almost full power, wipe with oil and throw the patties 3/8" thick on there for 3 minutes per side...perfect...cheese goes on after first flip...only salt and pepper on the surface for me though...if you poke a hole in the center it cooks a bit better.

Buns and onions on the wok at the same time.