Thai Govt Denies Flood Mismanagement At APEC Summit

webfact

Govt Denies Flood Mismanagement at APEC Summit

Deputy Prime Minister Kittirat Na Ranong told APEC leaders there is no evidence to prove that the present flood crisis in Thailand was caused by the government's mismanagement.

Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Kittirat Na Ranong gave an interview during his trip to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, or APEC Summit.

He said there is no evidence to prove the Yingluck Shinawatra government's mismanagement was the cause of the current flood turmoil in the country.

Kittirat also said the government has also been severely affected by the crisis, while the private sector may have to partially take responsibility as well.

The deputy premier led the Thai delegations to attend the APEC summit as PM Yingluck decided to stay in Thailand to closely monitor the flood situation.

Kittirat assured APEC leaders as well as other business leaders that Thailand will not see a repetition of the flood turmoil as the Thai government has implemented short-term water drainage plans and also planned a long-term water management scheme.

The deputy PM also met with Japanese Commerce Minister Yukio Edano to clarify measures to help Japanese investors who were the major investors in Thailand.

The Japanese commerce minister urged the Thai government to issue both short-term and long-term measures to assist the business sector hit by the floods.

The Japanese minister proposed the Thai government announce plans to salvage flooded factories and relax visa regulations for Japanese engineers who are entering Thailand to repair the damaged factories.

The Japanese government also promised to provide its full support for Thailand's long-term flood recovery plan.

Isamu Wakamatsu, director of Asia and Oceania division for Japan External Trade Organization, or JETRO, reaffirmed that Japanese investors have no plan to relocate production base from Thailand.

He said Japanese companies are likely to review their investment plans, should Thailand see a reoccurance of the flood crisis.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-15

footer_n.gif

I thought the agriculture minister had accepted that he made a mistake in not opening the dams.........

I see now that Aphisit is being targetted for legal action for not opening the dams..........

but no mis-management by the government..............

You don't suppose any noses grew longer do you?

I thought the agriculture minister had accepted that he made a mistake in not opening the dams.........

I see now that Aphisit is being targetted for legal action for not opening the dams..........

but no mis-management by the government...........

Impossible to "mismanage" a situation when there was nor is a ''management plan " in place shaped and implemented by " experts."

jr_pinocchio_hart_heydon_finger_500.jpg

Edited by siampolee

First of all have to have a management in place to beaccused of miss-management. Just face it bunch of clones are running Thailand

First of all have to have a management in place to beaccused of miss-management. Just face it bunch of clones are running Thailand

and if it is flooded on purpose it isn't mismanagment.

To me, the main problem isn't whether or not they are responsible for the flooding... but rather that they completely mess up the damage control and rescue operations.

They look completely disorganized and there are daily reports of areas who haven't seen any rescue/supply team for weeks except for private operations (like those organized by Channel 3, or some Thai corporate companies and even individuals).

Damage control spin cycle on the world stage, hoping beyond hope,

that no one is actually looking and will buy this line of mishagas they are peddling.

Of course every secret service and intelligence agency has handed each of the world leaders a nice fat dossier on EVERY other nation, with up to date facts, for reading on the plane to the meeting. Nothing worse for a diplomate than to be caught not knowing whats happening.

They know exactly what's happened as well as we do. They've looked into every major rumor, and are prepared to smile politely at the picture op and say why yes of course, and behind the scenes talk straighter if approached for whatever assistance based on a lie the are asked for. The groveling in some corners will be deep and profound.

They are pulling the wool over their face alone.

Edited by animatic

To me, the main problem isn't whether or not they are responsible for the flooding... but rather that they completely mess up the damage control and rescue operations.

They look completely disorganized and there are daily reports of areas who haven't seen any rescue/supply team for weeks except for private operations (like those organized by Channel 3, or some Thai corporate companies and even individuals).

You are, of course, correct. Then again, would the previous government have been better organized? Probably in that Sukhumphand is from the same party and they would certainly have trusted each other implicitly. However, I doubt they would have been anymore effective than what we have seen. Nobody practices for this. They have found broken dykes etc. These existed during the previous government and probably much longer before them as well. In Thailand, like the US (with Katrina) and most other countries, you need a disaster before you can say your are prepared for the next one.

This disaster, lie most air crashes, is a combination of events coming together. In this case a lack of planning, poor management and bad luck have all played their part. It doesn't matter who blames who in Thailand the evidence is out there for all to see.

To say there is no evidence pointing to mismanagement during this natural disaster, would indicate just how far out of touch with reality, this man is as well as those who picked him as a spokesman are.

What do they do, store the bad publicity, complaints, etc, like the water behind the dams? Several million people have been affected and in most cases received no immediate real help. Lots of verbal garbage in and garbage out by most of those involved, while seeking publicity.

Of all the committees formed/founded in the past few weeks, I have seen no publicity on any good they have done for those needing it the most.

Damage control spin cycle on the world stage, hoping beyond hope,

that no one is actually looking and will buy this line of mishagas they are peddling.

Of course every secret service and intelligence agency has handed each of the world leaders a nice fat dossier on EVERY other nation, with up to date facts, for reading on the plane to the meeting. Nothing worse for a diplomate than to be caught not knowing whats happening.

They know exactly what's happened as well as we do. They've looked into every major rumor, and are prepared to smile politely at the picture op and say why yes of course, and behind the scenes talk straighter if approached for whatever assistance based on a lie the are asked for. The groveling in some corners will be deep and profound.

They are pulling the wool over their face alone.

Thats politics in action.

You are, of course, correct. Then again, would the previous government have been better organized? Probably in that Sukhumphand is from the same party and they would certainly have trusted each other implicitly. However, I doubt they would have been anymore effective than what we have seen. Nobody practices for this. They have found broken dykes etc. These existed during the previous government and probably much longer before them as well. In Thailand, like the US (with Katrina) and most other countries, you need a disaster before you can say your are prepared for the next one.

I don't think the previous government would do it well and Suthep would lie to us as usual. But they wouldn't have lost face by declaring law of emergency and may have done something a couple weeks before. Making the impact less. Like instead of having 4 weeks 1-1.5 meter, just haveing 3 weeks 0.5-1 meter makes a big difference.

A post containing libellous/defamatory content has been removed:

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

One of the financial channels (Bloomberg or CNBC) had it on the ticker today that the Japanese companies might move their manufacturing to Indonesia because of this mess.

Earthquakes and volcanoes are so much easier to handle than floods. :unsure:

Kittirat also said the government has also been severely affected by the crisis, while the private sector may have to partially take responsibility as well.

Understatement of the year. Tell that to the estimated 700,000 workers out of work in the private sector that they "may have to partially take responsibility as well."

Deputy Prime Minister Kittirat Na Ranong told APEC leaders there is no evidence to prove that the present flood crisis in Thailand was caused by the government's mismanagement.

Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Kittirat Na Ranong gave an interview during his trip to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, or APEC Summit.

He said there is no evidence to prove the Yingluck Shinawatra government's mismanagement was the cause of the current flood turmoil in the country.

Did he actually tell the APEC leaders or did he say it in an interview?