Clarification On Non Immigrant O Visa To A Retirement Visa

I would be grateful if I could have some clarification on a Non Immigrant O visa leading to a Retirement visa. Here's my situation:

i have been living in Thailand for 6 years on, first a retirement visa and, for the last 3 years a Non Immigrant B Visa. I would like to get back on a Retirement Visa so that I don't need to exit the country every 90 days.

At the end of Nov. I will have held the required 800,000 THB in a Bangkok Bank account for 60 days at which point I will make a trip to Ventiane with the following documents:

- letter from BKK Bank confirming bank account and balance for the past 60 days

-my passbook from this account, updated as close as possible to my application in Ventiane

-proof of my residency in Bangkok (same apartment for 5 years)

I understand that I do not need a criminal background check or a medical certificate.

It's also my understanding that once the Non Immigrant O visa is issued in Ventiane that I then have 90 days in Thailand and that within the last 30 days I must apply at Thai Immigration to have the visa converted to a 12 month retirement visa (an additional 9 months) .

Is my understanding correct?

Is there anything I am missing that I am not aware of that I need to present to the consulate in Ventiane?.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You do not need to go anywhere - if you have a non immigrant visa now just apply to immigration for one year extension of stay for retirement during the last 30 days. What you want is a one year extension of stay for retirement - not a retirement visa - and each year to obtain a new one year extension.

I don't think that you have to go to Vietiane to do it, everything can be done in Bangkok. I think that all that you have to do is cancel your work permit, apply for a 7 day extension (1900 baht) and during that 7 days apply for a retirement extension (1900 baht). If you are going to use bank deposit you will need a letter from the bank, preferably issued that day and a copy of your bank book with a recent transaction, balances must be the same on both documents.. The money must be seasoned two months. Proof of address will also be required but no police or medical. Lopburi 3 will probably answer this post soon and he has all of the correct info.

I did the same thing and I agree. I thought that I had coordinated everything in advance with immigration but when I went in it was a different officer and they wanted a receipt for my work permit, Tor Tor 10, which I did't have so I had to extend and pay the 1900 baht so that I could get it the next day. I guess that I could have paid the 500 baht overstay but didn't ask.

No need for a 7 day extension, provided he qualifies for a retirement extension he can apply right away.

Thanks everyone for your replies. That would be great if I could do this without leaving the country. Just a clarification on my status - I don't have a work permit on the Non Immigrant B visa that I am on. It technically doesn't allow me to work in Thailand but to explore business opportunities (which I have done through export of Thai products). Am I right to assume then that your advice still applies to me even though I don't have work permit? And a question, on a Non Immigrant O visa will I be required to exit the country every 90 days? The retirement visa is attractive as I'd rather report every 90 days instead of being forced to travel. And if that required one trip to Ventiane I'd still rather do that. Thanks again for your help on this.

It shouldn't be a problem, unless you have the 2 or 3 year valid multiple non-B. On those you can't get an extension of stay, on a 1 year non-B it should be no problem.

The one year extension based on retirement allows you to stay for 1 year, with doing 90 day reports. So no need to leave the country. If you do want to leave the country, you should get a re-entry permit.

It just dawned on me that the information I have given you isn't correct. I was on a Non Immigrant B visa (no work permit) which expired at the end of Oct this year. As I needed another 30 days to season the 800,000 THB I flew to Penang and entered Thailand on a normal 30 day stamp. I am assuming now that it would not be possible to convert the Non Immigrant B visa to a Non Immigrant O visa as the former has expired.

You are no nolonger on a non-immirgant visa but on a visa exempt entry.

Immigration might convert your visa exempt entry into a non-immirgant visa, if you have enough time left on your current 30 days. Conversion will cost 2,000 baht and will give you 90 days, after which you apply for a 1 year extension. Sometimes they do it all in once and you get 1 year extension right away.

Immigration in Bkk, Pattaya and Chinag Mai will do the conversion, other offices might not and direct you to BKK. There use to be a requirement to have a minimum amount of days left, but that seems to be abolished. Still, apply as soon as your money has been seasoned and don't wait till the last moment.

Unfortunately the 60 day seasoning of my money happens on the 27th of this month and the stamp in my passport gives me only to the 28th, the following day. Perhaps not enough time in this case? Is it still worth a try? If not, any other options that you can think of?

Thanks again.

Mario

I thought that the requirment to convert to the Non-O was that he had to show that the 800000 baht was in a Thai Bank, but it did not have to be seasoned. I thought that was why they issued the nom-o so that the money had time to season before he applied for his retirement extension.

Could someone please clarify the comment by Mario immediately prior to this post. As I mentioned earlier, I was on a retirement visa several years ago. I think I remember that I needed the money seasoned in the bank for 60 days with a letter from the bank plus my updated passbook to show in Ventiane when I applied for the Non O visa. That gave me 90 days in Thailand and then during the last month of that period I went to Thai Immigration in Thailand and had it converted to a retirement visa with an extra 9 months to give me a year in total. Am I mistaken?

To convert from visa exempt to non immigrant 90 day entry only requires the proof of funds (not that they be in account a set time) so if you go today you may be able to convert for a new 90 day entry and then 60 days later make the extension of stay. If not a new entry or obtaining non immigrant O visa from Consulate would be in order.

In years past (many years ago) extensions were for remaining time but that changed to one year from date of extension approval.

My intent was not to "slam" you. I wanted to bring up the point because if he goes tomorrow he still has ten days left. I assume that he wiil need the letter from the bank, which he should get tomorrow morning, showing that the money is there along with a copy of his bank book. In addition, will he required to submit "proof of address"? Also doesn't he have to go to Chang Wattana to do it not Suan Plu. Just asking to make it as painless as possible if I can.

Yes, in my haste I was wrong in that the money has to be seasoned. It does not.

So just to make sure that I understand this correctly:

I can go to Thai Immigration in BKK with my updated bankbook to show that I have the required funds in the account. Do I also need a letter from the bank? I would assume I do. Do I need proof of my residency in Thailand? It's possible that I could get all this together and go to immigration tomorrow, having 10 days left on my 30 day stamp. If approved, I would be issued a 90 day O visa that could later be extended for another 9 months. Is Chaeng Wattana functioning? I live very close to the old Immigration in Suanplu and a friend did his renewal and 90 day report there recently as the new center was flooded. Could I do it there? Thanks again.

Suan Plu is optional/alternate location for Chiang Watanna functions until the floods are cleared from that area. As Bangkok is used for most of the country to do the change of status function do not believe they would be too concerned with residence but it would be wise to have something so show where he lives.

My intent was not to "slam" you. I wanted to bring up the point because if he goes tomorrow he still has ten days left. I assume that he wiil need the letter from the bank, which he should get tomorrow morning, showing that the money is there along with a copy of his bank book. In addition, will he required to submit "proof of address"? Also doesn't he have to go to Chang Wattana to do it not Suan Plu. Just asking to make it as painless as possible if I can.

Yes, in my haste I was wrong in that the money has to be seasoned. It does not.

There is no problem with correcting me and no offense was taken. In case I'm wrong it is important that one gets the correct information.

Be at your bank when it opens tomorrow! Deposit a token amount in the account that you are going to use (100 baht) and have your bank book updated. Get a letter from the bank, they should know exactly what you need. Make sure that the balance in your book matches that amount on the letter. Don't put up with the "come back tomorrow" routine. If you have to, demand that they issue it while you wait, they will. Take the letter and a copy of your bankbook to immigration and tell them that you want to convert your exempt entry to a Non-O in preparation for a retirement extension. I would also take a copy of "proof of address" with you. You might not need it at this point but you will when you extend your Non-O for retirement purposes. It will cost you 2000 baht plus whatever the bank charges for the letter. Good luck! Let us know what happens.

So just to make sure that I understand this correctly:

I can go to Thai Immigration in BKK with my updated bankbook to show that I have the required funds in the account. Do I also need a letter from the bank? I would assume I do. Do I need proof of my residency in Thailand? It's possible that I could get all this together and go to immigration tomorrow, having 10 days left on my 30 day stamp. If approved, I would be issued a 90 day O visa that could later be extended for another 9 months. Is Chaeng Wattana functioning? I live very close to the old Immigration in Suanplu and a friend did his renewal and 90 day report there recently as the new center was flooded. Could I do it there? Thanks again.

Edited by wayned

Suan Plu is optional/alternate location for Chiang Watanna functions until the floods are cleared from that area. As Bangkok is used for most of the country to do the change of status function do not believe they would be too concerned with residence but it would be wise to have something so show where he lives.

A friend originally went to Chaeng Wattana to convert from visa not required to non-Imm O (showing all the necessary for a subsequent retirement extension). He went back last week to have the visa entered in his passport and was told that all the stamps were at Suan Plu - he waited 3 hours while someone brought over a stamp - he had already taken 3 hours via bus, wading chest high through water, boat and tank transporter to get to Chaeng Wattana.

Just a follow up on my experience at Suanplu Immigration this morning. I arrived with a letter from Bangkok Bank showing the 800,000 THB plus my updated passbook. It seemed that all was going fine until the officer asked that I get proof of transfer of funds from overseas by way of a letter from Bangkok Bank. Here's my story - i transfered money here about 7 years ago from my home country but my bank was in Chiang Mai where I lived at the time. Between then and now I have earned income as a designer, as a landlord, as an agent and through exporting products. I do realize that this is a gray area, I am simply being truthful about my situation. So it's impossible for me to account for all the money through an overseas transfer verified by the bank. Does anyone have knowledge whether the Thai Consulate in Ventiane enforces this rule as well? I don't wish to waste a trip if that is the case. Perhaps I'll do an ED visa for 1 year as I would genuinely like to improve my Thai language skills and the cost isn't that over the top. Again, even though this didn't work I appreciate all your responses and help.

Only a Consulate in your country of residence could issue a long stay (retirement) visa and it seems Laos is not your residence. If you made transfers in the past suspect the bank can verify them. It is very unusual to have such proof requested (have not seen any report in years) so perhaps you have been on radar. Believe the ED would be a valid alternative and as you mentioned helpful at the same time. But if you need to continue in gray area it might be worthwhile for future to try to remove some of the gray if possible.

Sorry it didn't work out. He probably saw that you have been in Thailand for the past 6 years with no work history and added 2 and 2 and came up with 5! No telling what made him ask for the proof that the money came from overseas. ED will work, but if you really want to learn Thai, audit some of the schools before you pay them any money. There are some real juicy stories posted about some of them and you don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire!.

The op said that he provided the updated bank book. The "code " relating to a particular transaction will show if there were local cash or cheque deposits, or receipt of funds from somewhere else.

Maybe the immigration officer picked up on that and therefore asked for the source of funds ??

Edited by terryq