Thai-French Beef

meatboy

as a lover of beef steak the evitable has happened i have run out,i have been buying sirlion from tops for over 20years but the nearest store is kkaen.i want to try thai-french but i can only find the nearest supplier is bon appettit in kk.has anyone tried their beef,i wont buy aussieits overated for the price,please help me hew.:(

Their sirloin (rump) at 350 Baht/kg is acceptable (I buy it whole in 6 to 7 kg vacuum packs) BUT steer clear of their T bone at 519 Baht/kg. Overpriced and only stewable! I buy from the Udon Thani outlet, they are supplied from their Nakhon Sakon farm/stud.

Edited by bdenner

The Western Wholesale Meat Co in Pattaya will ship meat packed in dry ice to your nearest bus station Linky it is local beef but aged and normally pretty dam good

I found their beef overpriced and over rated, very tough....

Did you try the tenderloin ?

At, say, 450 Baht/kg it is a tad more expensive than the the local market tenderloin at 150 Baht per kilo.

A lot of the quality of a piece of beef is how it was handled and the aging process. I used to buy only imported steaks as I found Thai beef pretty lousy. But I have been buying the Thai-French steaks at VIlla, and I find them quite acceptable. Not great, but pretty good. They run higher than what I have read here at about 750 baht, so one smallish steak is about 170 baht total. They are individually vacuum-packed.

Like I wrote, not fantastic, but certainly decent enough.

i must say what i have bought over the yrs from tops[robinsons] rachada,central khon kaen has been very good considering sirloin the last lot in sept.345bht kilo, when i lived in huay-kwang i used to buy rump[pinbone] which was good,it always had a label on which said pen-fed never knew what it meant till seeing a program last week its cattle kept under cover and fed in their pens,tit you learn something every day.

I used to eat a fillet steak in a French Restaurant in (I think) Soi 3 Beach Road Pattaya and the meat was always very good and was surprised when told it was Thai beef. The restaurant is still there but now closed as I think it was part of a private house. I then started serching for good quality Thai beef and was then introduced to PON-YANG-KHRAM beef which maybe the Thai French beef referred to in these posts. It is difficult to get aged beef in Thailand and now I age in myself, quite an easy process and this certainly enhances the flavour. Within reason the old saying of "you get what you pay for" is correct. So yes, it is more expensive but in by opinion well worth it. I also like the saying "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the cheap price is forgotten". Enjoy!

The Western Wholesale Meat Co in Pattaya will ship meat packed in dry ice to your nearest bus station Linky it is local beef but aged and normally pretty dam good

Many thanks for this information and for the link. I will look them up the next time I am in Pattaya. The beef in Fresh Mart, The Mall Korat is usually good but in my opnion still needs to be aged for a week or so. Normal ageing is about 28 days but unless you have a correct and dedicated fridge just for ageing it is best to reduce the time as the fibres will breakdown much quicker with the fridge door being opened quite often and being restocked with warm products.

So if you're stuck with the standard Thai supermarkets and their Thai-French beef, which is the best piece to buy in order to marinate for 24 hours and stick on your bbq?

I would go with Fillet (tenderloin) give it a good bashing each side with a meat tenderiser (Basically a hammer with pimples) or a rolling pin then push it back into shape.If you are going to Marinate for 24 hours this will also make it more tender so go a bit easy on the bashing. You will of course taste the marinade and therefore the best flavour of beef is not required or would be ruined with the marinade in any case. I think it will be good and you will enjoy!

Good stuff.

Anyway to cook/marinade it so you don't even need a knife, it will come apart with your fork?

I think you are expecting a bit too much to use just a fork but it should pull apart with two forks. But why not use a knife and a fork. If your guests do not like or not used to using a knife just cut each steak into mouth size bites when you take it from the B-B-Q and then give each person a steak size portion. Do not over cook it as they will make it more tough, a little underdone will give the best results and anyway it will continue to cook after you have taken it off the B-B-Q so meditm to well will be well done after about 5 minutes while you are talking and having a beer. If you buy a large peice of fillet then cut across the grain into steaks about 2cm thick ot ask the person who sells it to cut for you. You should end up with 'rounds" and then bash it until it is about 1cm thick. Anyway I am sure it will be good and I hope you have a good B-B-Q night.

Have any of you tried Don's beef in chiang mai? It's supose to be good and he produces it himself but he wont send me a picture of the marbling as his only concern is tenderness which i do not care a single bit about. Might be good but i dont want to waste money on any more tries.

you can google him at donsfoods, i think hes a sponsor on a subforum