Stick Vs Auto

Thaiboxer

Automatics have come a long way since they were invented in the late 1940's. As far as them doing all the donkeywork, that's true. They do a lot of work that many people would rather not do in a traffic jam. However, automatic transmissions are the most sensitive/expensive part of the vehicle. If there is fluid leak and/or if the person who changes your fluid doesn't replace the gasket the whole transmission could be ruined which would be a VERY expensive problem. People who have a "lead foot" could find their automatic transmissions wearing out really fast...particularly if they jam on the gas and speed back up while the thing is downshifting. It does seem that automatics are quickly taking over as people's number one gear choice; at least here in Bangkok.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to the automatic transmission discussion, I would beware of the Mitsubishi Lancer in automatic. We know somebody who was driving his back from an out of town trip and ended up stranded on the highway. This was the result of some stupid computer chip failing and the whole system breaking down. A friend of mine in the States hand a Mitsubishi Cordia L which had a clunky auto gearbox. The Mitsubishi stick shift trucks seem to run forever so perhaps their cars are fine provided you get them in stick.

I think the Dodge Caravans must have the worst reputation for transmission failure in the States. Funny thing is, my father drove those minivans for years with hardly any transmission trouble. The rest of the van is pretty good and driving them is a pleasure. Too bad they can't combine the Dodge body/engine with Toyota's transmission reliability. Many of the vans here are stick/diesel. Those things can be driven hard for many years.