Tat'S Update On Flights To/From Ubon/Chiang Mai:

jay-uk

I liked the phrase in the press release: "AirAsia is pushing for more connectivity to Ubon Ratchathani, a well-connected city which can serve as the northeastern travel hub of the region".

Give us a connection to Phnom Penh, Vientianne or Hanoi please. Not to be too greedy, the existing connections of BKK, Chiang Mai and Phuket are probably sufficient domestically, though I guess Udon would be a good substitute for Vientianne. Can't see why they don't ultimately make the new Chiang Mai service a CNX to Udon (or Khon Kaen) to UBP route. I don't mind a kangaroo hop service!

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and trying out the Chiang Mai route on Monday. 5,500 baht return for wife, 2yr old, me, one 15kg stowed bag (in addition to the usual in-cabin bag allowance) and pre-selected (non-premium) seats is a real bargain in my view.

[Edit: I wonder if the local Ubon to Pakse (Laos) express border bus provider is smart enough to arrange for that service to collect from Ubon airport on Chiang Mai flight days. Pigs might fly!]

Edited by SantiSuk

Should have added, that kind of price is generally only available if you go out on the Monday flight and come back on a Friday. A long weekend trip is going to cost a bit more - unless your idea of a long weekend includes an 11 day duration (Monday to the following Friday). Not sure of the dynamics starting from Chiang Mai.

Good to see you are back from your sick-bed Bergen!

Should have added, that kind of price is generally only available if you go out on the Monday flight and come back on a Friday. A long weekend trip is going to cost a bit more - unless your idea of a long weekend includes an 11 day duration (Monday to the following Friday). Not sure of the dynamics starting from Chiang Mai.

Good to see you are back from your sick-bed Bergen!

Thanks for the nice words SantiSuk, - have even had a few test sessions, and will probably be ready for the next hash :D

• 1 year later...

Here is the latest schedule. Thai Air (Smile) is adding 2 flights to Bangkok starting February 1. It says through March 30th. Not sure if that means they'll end it on that date or if it's just confirmed for at least those 2 months. Ubon is still not listed on the Thai Smile web site.

Bring back Phuket AirAsia!

Here is an article about it from a few months ago. They were wrong about Smile replacing the Air flight. Not sure there's much difference. Last I checked, the prices were exactly the same.

post-103222-0-09597400-1357475583_thumb.

Edited by ubonrthai

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and trying out the Chiang Mai route on Monday.

Keep an eye out (won't be hard to miss) for the two foreigners with their 7 month old son on the same flight. They have just spent the last week visiting us out the back of beyond in Ubon.

• 3 weeks later...

What a pity.

Two more flights to Bangkok by Air Asia is not much compensation. Now that AA is at Don Meuang, Nok Air has become my airline of choice. Usually cheaper by a few hundred baht. Hopefully the direct competition between AA and (presumably shortly to be) Smile will keep both airlines pricing honest.

Failure of inter-regional transport links is symptomatic of Thailand's failure to build geographical economic diversity to the country.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...