Sure Is Nice Right Now

KRS1

The weather up here in CNX is awesome for riding right now, clear cool, slightly breezy, especially around the evening time when the weather cools further, for more power.

You guys in BKK don't know what your missing !...leave everything and move to CNX !

Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai, you just can't beat it for riding, more so this time of year.

whats it like mid january to mid february? havent been up there since december 2005, so about time again, but mid january seems my first opening

was really nice in Prechuap KK a few weks ago toopost-81971-0-86999000-1321586898_thumb.j

Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai, you just can't beat it for riding, more so this time of year.

whats it like mid january to mid february? havent been up there since december 2005, so about time again, but mid january seems my first opening

was really nice in Prechuap KK a few weks ago toopost-81971-0-86999000-1321586898_thumb.j

Still very nice, maybe a tad cooler in the evenings and might start to be a bit of smoke around as you get into Feb but not too bad until end of Feb & March.

Indeed it is... the weather's cooler. :D

Hopefully, there won't be any rainstorms for a while. One thing I've noticed is the traffic got denser, possibly because of the "Yi-Peng" celebration.

Been also seeing a lot more tourists in rented bikes around the Mae Rim area.

A trip to the San Kamphaeng Hot Springs from the city is definitely nice, especially with the smooth roads, and light traffic...

Ratchaphruek Flower Gardens isn't that bad either once you get past the heavy traffic around the Huay Kaew area...

Then there's always Doi Suthep...

From Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai via Chiang Dao and up through the mountains. There's a few different variations you can use to make the journey longer, shorter or easier depending on how you are feeling. Stop over in Chiang Rai then head back to Chiang Mai via Phayao for lunch on the way back.

Fantastic weekend ride in my opinion.

Chiang Mai it is. Planning to hit Chiang Mai end of December maybe between Christmas and New Year. Hopefully one of you Northern folk can give me a bit of advice. Here's my thought....

Day 1 - Plan to ride to CM from BKK in one day, sleep in CM then hit the loop as follows:

Day 2 - CM to Pai - Stay the Night

Day 3 - Pai to MHS for Lunch then on to Mae Sariang for the night

Day 4 - Mae Sariang back to CM and spend the night in CM

Day 5 - Back to BKK

Does this sound doable as far as distances and places to stay? Will be doing the trip on a Ninja 650 2up. Have experience with 500km+ 2up in a day so no worries about the GF complaining(at least no more than usual). :whistling:

I've found that the earlier i leave for either BKK or CNX the faster the ride goes by mentally.

CNX to Pai will only take 2.5 hours, maybe on the 2nd day you may want to consider doing the Samoeng loop also (2 hours), having lunch at x-center, than onto Pai ? If you choose to do the Samoeng loop, it would probably be better to start from the canal road (cholpratan) side, this way you'll be enroute to 107, make a left and onto Pai via 1095.

Bring a light jacket. The highest part on the way to Pai is pretty chilly and Pai is cold at night. If you want a cheap place to stay where you can park your bike literally in front of your room, look at Golden Hut. It's on the strip where the bars are (3) and you can stumble back only a short distance. Bottom bamboo shack no bathroom 150/night, upstairs with bathroom 350 night, River right next door. Downstairs is fairly ghetto, upstairs is passable. You can probably find better for 350, but the location is good for nightlife and bike parking. There are other places down the road also, that are on the river.

For the best view in Pai go straight down the walking street, away from Golden Hut...just keep going straight until you come to a chinese temple/mini-town with tall pillars (tourist trap). veer to the right one lane and go up until you see a sign that says 'best view'....there's a nice restaurant there overlooking the Pai valley, very panoramic. A beer goes down nicely here, try the fried rice They grow their own mountain rice here too, good stuff ! :)

From Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai via Chiang Dao and up through the mountains. There's a few different variations you can use to make the journey longer, shorter or easier depending on how you are feeling. Stop over in Chiang Rai then head back to Chiang Mai via Phayao for lunch on the way back.

Fantastic weekend ride in my opinion.

Route 107 is indeed an awesome ride with great scenery!

Next stop for me is Mae Salong, then down to Chiang Rai overnight to kill some Changs.

Chiang Mai it is. Planning to hit Chiang Mai end of December maybe between Christmas and New Year. Hopefully one of you Northern folk can give me a bit of advice. Here's my thought....

Day 1 - Plan to ride to CM from BKK in one day, sleep in CM then hit the loop as follows:

Day 2 - CM to Pai - Stay the Night

Day 3 - Pai to MHS for Lunch then on to Mae Sariang for the night

Day 4 - Mae Sariang back to CM and spend the night in CM

Day 5 - Back to BKK

Does this sound doable as far as distances and places to stay? Will be doing the trip on a Ninja 650 2up. Have experience with 500km+ 2up in a day so no worries about the GF complaining(at least no more than usual). :whistling:

Very doable in terms of distances as long as you're happy with the CM-BKK in a day.

I highlighted the section on Mae Sariang. I'd recommend stopping 30km before Mae Sariang at Mae La Noi, in particular at Herntai Resort. At 700B for fan or 900B for the much nicer air con rooms, its top end for Mae Hong Son province, but very comfortable. The owner Net speaks very good English. Herntai Resort website.