World Day Of Remembrance For Road Traffic Accident Victims

webfact

World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Accident Victims

British Ambassador comments on the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Accident Victims 2011.

Sunday 20 November 2011 marks the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims where all those killed or injured in road traffic accidents are remembered, together with their families, the emergency services and all others affected or involved.

According to the Royal Thai Police, in 2010, there were 83,261 reported road traffic accidents in Thailand resulting in 7,468 fatalities plus 14,646 injuries and 3,544 serious injuries. Also in 2010 about 10% of all deaths of British nationals in Thailand were due to road traffic accidents. So far this year 17 British nationals have died in road traffic accidents in Thailand and a further 36 have been seriously injured. About 70% of all road traffic fatalities in Thailand involved motorbikes. On Koh Samui alone there were 7 deaths of British Nationals last year caused by motorbike accidents.

British Ambassador Asif Ahmad said, ‘Road traffic accidents have far reaching effects on both the individual and their families. Not all tragedies are avoidable but many lives could be saved and critical injuries avoided, if people took the same precautions abroad that they take at home. Our consular team helps the families of those that die in road traffic accidents and also regularly assist patients suffering from severe head and brain injuries caused by motorbike accidents. Sadly some of these people are left with life changing, debilitating injuries. Their families often have the additional worry of mounting hospital bills as either the motorbike’s engine size or the failure to wear a crash helmet invalidates most travel insurance policies.

British nationals involved in an accident and needing consular assistance from the British Embassy should call us on 02 305 8333 and my consular team will do all they can to help. For more information on how to prepare yourself for driving abroad, visit our website.

Source: http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=PressR&id=694093882

-- ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk 2011-11-18

footer_n.gif

According to the Royal Thai Police, in 2010, there were 83,261 reported road traffic accidents in Thailand

so lets double that figure then with all the unreported crashes

So far this year 17 British nationals have died in road traffic accidents in Thailand and a further 36 have been seriously injured

where did they get these states from? , i know 3 people whom have died this year who are british, and that is People i know in a very small area of Thailand ! , also only 36 seriosly injured ? , maybe for a month !

/British nationals involved in an accident and needing consular assistance from the British Embassy should call us on 02 305 8333 and my consular team will do all they can to help.

blink.gifblink.gif

Get medical insurance. If you can't afford it then don't get on a bike.....or go home!

Edited by smokie36

Non sense.

If 17 dead persons = 10% of the British who die in Thailand, it means 170 dead Brits since 01-01-11.

Every two days, an Englishman dies in Thailand!!!! I cannot believe that. Are you so fragile, dear UK friends?

Well, to be honest, 17 is last year and 10% this year, let's hope that this year 100% of the dead Brits died on the road, it would mean total deaths = 17.

Edited by geovalin

"Get medical insurance." Sounds like good advice, but I've run into difficulties finding it here in Thailand since I am over 65 years old. I guess the insurance companies think we old folks are a bad risk, even for accidents.

Anyone know any options for us old farts here in Thailand? Going home is not much of an option at this point, and there insurance is prohibitively expensive. I've been subscribing to the "wisdom of insecurity" instead.

"Get medical insurance." Sounds like good advice, but I've run into difficulties finding it here in Thailand since I am over 65 years old. I guess the insurance companies think we old folks are a bad risk, even for accidents.

Anyone know any options for us old farts here in Thailand? Going home is not much of an option at this point, and there insurance is prohibitively expensive. I've been subscribing to the "wisdom of insecurity" instead.

Prohibitively expensive? So a basic accident and health insurance for around 20.000B is too expensive? How much would it cost you in a hospital should you have an accident here (without insurance)? But as you say, you can always pray that nothing happens.

Prohibitively expensive? So a basic accident and health insurance for around 20.000B is too expensive? How much would it cost you in a hospital should you have an accident here (without insurance)? But as you say, you can always pray that nothing happens.

In answer to insurance questions,the companies here will not insure a falang if he is over 60 yrs of age.Under 60 u have to have a medical check consisting of chest X-ray,heart monitor & blood pressure-(below 135) check by a doctor/hospital.20,000 bht will not get U much cover.:unsure:

Hey friendphil - I get your point. The 20,000B premium is accurate, but my BUPA policy just went up from 20,000B to 27,000B because of the age bracket. However, just after paying the premimum this summer, I had an incident and spent two nights in Samitivez with an MRI and a CT SCan and lots of good care. My 'investment' proved to pay off big time just for this one hospital stay. Besides just the money savings, it was nice to be able just to check in without worrying about comparing prices and considering if the extra treatment was neccessary or viable - I just went with the doctors' recommendations. So, I agree, the idea of having it while it is still available is an easy choice.

I am also faced with this same problem; the fact that this policy will not even be available after age 65. I would also like to know if there are other options, especially for major-medical. The only thing I have to go on so far is that the basic costs at the "non-5-star" hospitals (like Samitivez) are a bargain compared to the West even without insurance (understatement).

Rant.

One thing that all drivers in Thailand should be aware of is that when you are turning left, the Thai turning right coming the other way will be on a direct head-on collision course, and if on a motorbike will swerve to pass on the wrong side.

End rant.

Well, as a fellow Farang I assume, that this is the Brits faults. If there are so many Brits involved in accidents it must be them. After all, these accidents would not happen if ...... (yes, now it comes).... they would not be here in the first place. Calm down fellas, this country has certain advantages and the people certain skills. Driving a vehicle or abiding by traffic rules is not one of them, capito?

Rant.

One thing that all drivers in Thailand should be aware of is that when you are turning left, the Thai turning right coming the other way will be on a direct head-on collision course, and if on a motorbike will swerve to pass on the wrong side.

End rant.

100% correct but we have to accept it and be aware as nothing will ever change.in our lifetime.

Given that there are 9 fatal cashes per 100,000 people in Canada and 19 fatal per 100,000 thais is a matter of record. Now Southeast Asia has the highest for fatals per 100,000 people. If you factor in that 70% of vehicles are scooters, where even a minor crash is serious it does stand to reason ( I know HELMET). So if you extrapolate the 70% scooters in Thailand where Canada has far fewer 2 wheelers and only used for maybe 3 month average, well better stay away from Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada 9 fatals

Thailand 19 X 0.7 = 6.3 fatals

Don't you just love stats, can do almost anything with them :lol:

according to a study in the US, the safest drivers were farmers. The worst, doctors.

Back to Thailand: Every day, I'm out driving in northern Thailand, and I'm continually reminded of how awfully Thais drive. Some of the worst transgressions:

>>>>> cutting curves on blind turns

>>>>> going thru red lights. Estimate: about 10,000 red light runners in Chiang Rai in an average hour between 7 am and 8 pm.

>>>>> general rudeness and/or ignorance by those behind the wheel. Often, the drivers don't even know they're being rude or dangerous - they're too busy selfishly fixed on getting to their destination as quick as possible.

Incidentally, there has never, in the history of Chiang Rai, been a moving violation ticket given for dangerous driving. If anyone knows differently, please articulate.

check out www.e-insurethailand.com

I work and live in Port Moresby (in Papua New Guinea) and trust me these people are far worse drivers than anything I've encountered in Thailand. The death rate of 14 per 100,000 sounds lower than Thailand's almost 20, except that vehicle ownership rates are much lower and there are virtually no motorbikes.

At the risk of stating the obvious the best way to make yourself safer is slown down. And don't get aggro, just accept that they are atrocious drivers and focus on keeping yourself safe.

Given that there are 9 fatal cashes per 100,000 people in Canada and 19 fatal per 100,000 thais is a matter of record. Now Southeast Asia has the highest for fatals per 100,000 people. If you factor in that 70% of vehicles are scooters, where even a minor crash is serious it does stand to reason ( I know HELMET). So if you extrapolate the 70% scooters in Thailand where Canada has far fewer 2 wheelers and only used for maybe 3 month average, well better stay away from Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada 9 fatals

Give Thailand 7 months of ice and snow and then compare driving stats.

Canada 9 fatals

I think you need a new calculator. I get 13.3.

Hey friendphil - I get your point. The 20,000B premium is accurate, but my BUPA policy just went up from 20,000B to 27,000B because of the age bracket. However, just after paying the premimum this summer, I had an incident and spent two nights in Samitivez with an MRI and a CT SCan and lots of good care. My 'investment' proved to pay off big time just for this one hospital stay. Besides just the money savings, it was nice to be able just to check in without worrying about comparing prices and considering if the extra treatment was neccessary or viable - I just went with the doctors' recommendations. So, I agree, the idea of having it while it is still available is an easy choice.

I am also faced with this same problem; the fact that this policy will not even be available after age 65. I would also like to know if there are other options, especially for major-medical. The only thing I have to go on so far is that the basic costs at the "non-5-star" hospitals (like Samitivez) are a bargain compared to the West even without insurance (understatement).

Well I got my policy before 60, and they tell me that even though I cannot purchase after age 70ish I will still have coverage until the policy value is used up. More expensive that some, but having that overlay into later age seemed ok to me. Came from AIA

Walk along Pattaya beach road and you'll not take long to find a young British tourist renting a 600cc or larger motorcycle. Watching how most of them drive off I doubt that most of them have never ridden a motorcycle before let alone one as big. STUPID is what I'd call them.

The stats in the article are nonsense, there were 1,900 road traffic deaths in the UK last year and only 7k in Thailand, I seriously doubt it!

From the DOT (UK):

"There were 208,648 casualties (slight injuries, serious injuries and fatalities) in road accidents reported to the police in Great Britain in 2010"

"The number of people killed in road accidents reported to the police fell by 17 per cent from 2,222 in 2009 to 1,850 in 2010"

Edited by chiang mai

Reading the first post and the one before this. In 2010

UK had 206,798 casualties and 1,850 deaths caused by road accidents. 1:112

Thailand had 18,190 casualties and 7,468 deaths caused by road accidents. 1:2.4

Thailand had 83,261 accidents. Chances of being injured 1:4.5. Chances of dying 1:11

So the chances of dying rather than recieving injuries increase 40+ fold in Thailand....

interesting.....

plus I love the "people killed in road accidents reported to the police" I wonder how many didn't get reported???

Edited by KKK