Chiang Mai Snooker Hall Incident

chiangmaicharlies

Being a novice at posting on ThaiVisa, I'm not sure what I did wrong when last week I asked if anyone had more information concerning 'an incident' at Caesar's snooker hall. It seems my posting was withdrawn and I was admonished. I certainly don't want to upset any administrators, but at the time I thought it was an incident in Thailand worth posting about.

There is still a great deal of silence concerning the matter here in Chiang Mai, but today I can confirm that upon entering the snooker hall there was a group of monks performing a 'purification ceremony', confirming that my original posting was accurate. I will not post any more specific details in case they are considered inappropriate.

ph34r.gif

The issue with your post was that there was no newspaper story on the incident yet, and you even mentioned in your post that it was 'gossip you heard at a bar'.

At Thaivisa when reporting incidents there needs to be a source. Most newspapers can be used as a source, with some exceptions. This prevents members from just making up stuff, and also prevents potential defamation issues; after all if the story is out there from some other source then this forum is in the clear in that regard.

Anyway, two days after your post the thing appeared in a local newspaper, so then a new topic could be opened on it on the forum. Let me find it for you.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.thaivisa....i-in-pool-hall/

I assume this topic can now be closed; it's all been debated there in the CM forum.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The issue with your post was that there was no newspaper story on the incident yet, and you even mentioned in your post that it was 'gossip you heard at a bar'.

At Thaivisa when reporting incidents there needs to be a source. Most newspapers can be used as a source, with some exceptions. This prevents members from just making up stuff, and also prevents potential defamation issues; after all if the story is out there from some other source then this forum is in the clear in that regard.

Anyway, two days after your post the thing appeared in a local newspaper, so then a new topic could be opened on it on the forum. Let me find it for you.

I assume this topic can now be closed; it's all been debated there in the CM forum.

Thanks Winnie for your easy to understand response. I immediately take on the 'just making stuff up' comment, but I knew my posting was pretty 'hot off the press' and was looking for some collaboration - so I would also question whether initial postings have to have follow on from another source. Nevertheless, thanks for the explanation.

Thanks Winnie for your easy to understand response. I immediately take on the 'just making stuff up' comment, but I knew my posting was pretty 'hot off the press' and was looking for some collaboration - so I would also question whether initial postings have to have follow on from another source.

Yes, there always needs to be a source. 'gossip' is actually a legal offense, so engaging in any kind of hear-say discussion and speculating on what might have happened is officially not allowed. (Especially not when you advertise it by even using the word gossip in your post. ;) )

What contributed to the closing of your topic with such harsh terms from the mods was that there were some follow up comments that speculated on the perpetrator's business ( a deli ), and then some others speculating that it might be a different deli that is also a forum sponsor. So with things going so far off course with wild speculation on other businesses, a forum sponsor no less, the hammer comes down real hard. (All those posts were removed, so you may have missed them.)