Can I Become A Thai Citizen?

or trying to live in Thailand with my wife under international human rights law (that Thailand has signed)?

If you really believe this may I humbly suggest you retain a lawyer and take this through the Thai courts then, you may be doing a favour for others

Further, you are being overly melodramatic...if I loose my job "my family dies" and you insist on arguing with people who do actually do know what they are talking about ie "Samran"

Edited by Soutpeel

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or trying to live in Thailand with my wife under international human rights law (that Thailand has signed)?

If you really believe this may I humbly suggest you retain a lawyer and take this through the Thai courts then, you may be doing a favour for others

Further, you are being overly melodramatic...if I loose my job "my family dies" and you insist on arguing with people who do actually do know what they are talking about ie "Samran"

Slight flaw, Thailand signed the human rights documents but cunningly did not grant the UN court jurisdiction! So, cheap words from the Thai govt. for around 40 years, that enabled Thailand to benefit in numerous ways from international support without any loss! Almost a mirror image of the Permanent Residence matter and Thai citizenship?

Melodramatic? Kindly tell me how a 66.66% Thai family can survive if the main support has to leave the country because he cannot remain if one loses a job; as Thailand gives 24 hours to leave (+/- and not much more +). Even the Middle East does not kick a spouse out for lack of job, income or savings! That sums it up!

Samran has his information, and guess what, is still in the waiting list! Said with respect as he has been positive to me.

Edited by AngryParent

You are definitely not eligible. I just called the Special Branch to check. You need to have a salary of THB 40,000 per month. Also, your letter from your employer showing your yearly salary needs to match the annual salary figure shown on your latest tax return. There are no exceptions for the THB 40,000 requirement for a foreign man married to a Thai.

So, I think that it is all over for you as far as citizenship goes. Best to just forget about it and move on to other things to secure your future and that of your wife and son. Your energies are better spent elsewhere.

Edited by TheChiefJustice

I give up.

Please don't! Instead try and prove me wrong.

The facts are in all our faces, your wife still does not have the citizenship - even though you are the "wisest" here. Your initial posts were proved wrong based on the written documents from Special Branch.

Your comments were also proved wrong based on a lengthy conversation with BKK special Branch on the phone where matters were discussed at length.

Your comments were further proved wrong based on going and speaking to the local police HQ (not a subsection of the police - nor a tiny police station) where multiple calls were made and multiple people were summoned to the room to answer this matter at length.

I think the balance of evidence weighs highly against you!

The only matter left (to nail the coffin and bury it) is for Arkady to notify us of the ZERO to 10 Western farangs that got citizenship last year and the year before! Or someone can tell me what the website is for this govt. document and I will do it myself. As this farang has produced more data than other TV threads have produced in just 2 threads! Say thanks!

So far, my information and research has led to more valid data than what has been offered by those who claim to know it all!

Edited by AngryParent

You are definitely not eligible. I just called the Special Branch to check. You need to have a salary of THB 40,000 per month. Also, your letter from your employer showing your yearly salary needs to match the annual salary figure shown on your latest tax return. There are no exceptions for the THB 40,000 requirement for a foreign man married to a Thai.

So, I think that it is all over for you as far as citizenship goes. Best to just forget about it and move on to other things to secure your future and that of your wife and son. Your energies are better spent elsewhere.

Thank you for confirming I have been right all along and that others who profess great wisdom and powers are wrong!

Thank you for confirming I have been right all along and that others who profess great wisdom and powers are wrong!

After 217 posts arguing with people you are still screwed, so nothing has changed....so when are you taking your case human rights violation to the Thai courts to challange the immigration laws ? :rolleyes:

The fact is, situation in Thailand it is what it is, and is highly unlikely to change favourably in your life time, so instead of arguing with people and making bleeding heart statements, you need to figure out what you need to do to keep yourself in Thailand working on the assumption you dont have a chance in hell in getting PR or citizenship.

Not if you pay for the 7 day extension.....:rolleyes:

And how many 7 days will be granted (or the maximum one 2 month marriage extension)?

You post casually but fail to realize the hurt your simple post causes.

As an example, are you now telling me my family should be happy it could live for 7 days? When even the axis of evil countries give much more!

Insulting!

Boy oh boy! This just keeps getting better and better! Who needs television when we have threads like these? biggrin.gif

I suggest the OP quits his teacher job and looks for a actor job playing drama queen in one of the Thai soaps! That ought to put you way past the 40.000 mark, improve your Thai language and keep us all entertained after this thread dies out!

After 217 posts arguing with people you are still screwed, so nothing has changed....so when are you taking your case human rights violation to the Thai courts to challange the immigration laws ? :rolleyes:

The fact is, situation in Thailand it is what it is, and is highly unlikely to change favourably in your life time, so instead of arguing with people and making bleeding heart statements, you need to figure out what you need to do to keep yourself in Thailand working on the assumption you dont have a chance in hell in getting PR or citizenship.

And I am sure you are happy to see people like me suffer - as shown by your posts! Disgusting.

And how many 7 days will be granted (or the maximum one 2 month marriage extension)?

As an example, are you now telling me my family should be happy it could live for 7 days? When even the axis of evil countries give much more!

Insulting!

You made a statement saying you only have 24 hours to get the country, this is not true, I was commenting on fact, not turning it into a Hollywood production.

Insulting!

You made a statement saying you only have 24 hours to get the country, this is not true, I was commenting on fact, not turning it into a Hollywood production.

I guess you lost your reading glasses - did you see the +/-? And at its best, the small extension is nothing in comparison to what most countries offer the spouse of a national. The local condition is inhumane at the minimum.

Edited by AngryParent

And I am sure you are happy to see people like me suffer - as shown by your posts! Disgusting.

Not happy to see anyone suffer...at this current point in time you are not suffering....you are employed and you are living here

so this this case....:violin: :violin:

Edited by Soutpeel

Not happy to see anyone suffer...at this current point in time you are not suffering....you are employed and you are living here

so this this case....:violin: :violin:

And that makes it all OK? When any day could be the start of 24 hours or 7 days or such (with a Thai wife and son)?

You speak with a level of ignorance and carelessness that is mirrored by your use of childish graphics.

Edited by AngryParent

I give up.

The facts are in all our faces, your wife still does not have the citizenship - even though you are the "wisest" here. Your initial posts were proved wrong based on the written documents from Special Branch.

Your comments were also proved wrong based on a lengthy conversation with BKK special Branch on the phone where matters were discussed at length.

Your comments were further proved wrong based on going and speaking to the local police HQ (not a subsection of the police - nor a tiny police station) where multiple calls were made and multiple people were summoned to the room to answer this matter at length.

The only matter left (to nail the coffin and bury it) is for Arkady to notify us of the ZERO to 10 Western farangs that got citizenship last year and the year before! Or someone can tell me what the website is for this govt. document and I will do it myself. As this farang has produced more data than other TV threads have produced in just 2 threads! Say thanks!

So far, my information and research has led to more valid data than what has been offered by those who claim to know it all!

Fine, do what you think is best.

You want to portray my wife not yet having her citizenship yet as some sort of failing I the system. We fully did this knowing there was a 3 to 5 year process.

We already have the assessment letter stating she qualifies from special branch, with all the checks done. The current delay is no fault of the Thai system. It is totally personal.

The thing is, I know my wife will get citizenship. That I have no doubt of.

And when she has it, you still won't, having preferred to martyr yourself against some perceived injustices in that you can't be handed something on a sliver platter. That, I also have no doubt of.

Edited by samran

I give up.

Fine, do what you think is best.

You want to portray my wife not yet having her citizenship yet as some sort of failing I the system. We fully did this knowing there was a 3 to 5 year process.

We already have the assessment letter stating she qualifies from special branch, with all the checks done. The current delay is no fault of the Thai system. It is totally personal.

The thing is, I know my wife will get citizenship. That I have no doubt of.

And when she has it, you still won't, having preferred to martyr yourself against some perceived injustices in that you can't be handed something on a sliver platter. That, I also have no doubt of.

Then do me a favour and post the link to the Gazette that shows farangs (Western males are being granted this by the bucket load - or even 100 a year or even 10 last year). There are hundreds of thousands of foreigners living as residents (not tourists) in Thailand and the best data provided till now is that it was 10-15 in 2004 (PR, not citizenship)???? And with that a 3 year non-approval of any farang submission by the previous version of the current government?

From the data - even the quota for PR (for each nationality) was never granted each year. You now can tell me that citizenship (that is higher) is being offered on a plate or even by some "fair system"?

I stand by my position (said by a respectable and kind senior police officer), only grandfathered Chinese who have extensive family here, fortunes here, are those who get offered it but still have to wait. What are all the other "unwanted" farangs who have family but are rich? What are all the poor and honest farangs? Females married to Thais are in a ultra minority, but even they come after the grandfathers!

I wish you all the best. But I doubt if 3-5 years is what will solve it. Go check the Gazette that is the statistics!

In fact, ask yourself why is this offered to farangs only by Special Branch (a department that is detective by origin)? I am sure you can come up with some logical "carrot and donkey answer". The reality is that it is not really offered, but is it some gimick? It would be better served by the MFA or a million other Thai govt. departments. By putting it in Special Branch, is this not really an information gathering exercise that is self-funded (by the farangs) i.e. previously undeclared employment, savings, banks, family ties etc?

Edited by AngryParent

Wow. The amount of self-pitying martyrdom on this thread is simply stunning. No wonder Angry Parent appears to have not gotten very far in life.

You want an example of a 100% farang who has received an ID card in the past three years?

You're looking at one.

And I personally know three others.

Sorry to take wind out of your sails of self-pity, but those are the facts.

As for getting kicked out of the country if you lose your job, resulting in a broken family: pure exaggeration. You do not get kicked out of the country and banned, never to see your family again. You simply have to go out and get an O visa at the nearest Thai embassy and stay happily forever if you want, or until you get a new job.

If you don't have the resources to do that, you're no better off than millions of Lao, Cambodian, and Burmese dirt farmers who would live to be able to stay and work forever just because they were able to find a Thai woman with whom to register a marriage. You may think your skin color should bring you more rights, but it doesn't. Tough luck.

PS: you'd think a teacher would know how to spell "xenophobic" correctly. No wonder you make less than 30 grand a month.

If so AnnoyingParent could presumably qualify that way <snip>

I have been following this Thread but not contributing - as I have said in previous Threads on similar subjects Samran has WAY more patience than I have.

I just thought the above Quote was very appropriate - it may have been a mistake ..... or a Freudian slip!

Patrick

Wow. The amount of self-pitying martyrdom on this thread is simply stunning. No wonder Angry Parent appears to have not gotten very far in life.

You want an example of a 100% farang who has received an ID card in the past three years?

You're looking at one.

And I personally know three others.

Sorry to take wind out of your sails of self-pity, but those are the facts.

As for getting kicked out of the country if you lose your job, resulting in a broken family: pure exaggeration. You do not get kicked out of the country and banned, never to see your family again. You simply have to go out and get an O visa at the nearest Thai embassy and stay happily forever if you want, or until you get a new job.

If you don't have the resources to do that, you're no better off than millions of Lao, Cambodian, and Burmese dirt farmers who would live to be able to stay and work forever just because they were able to find a Thai woman with whom to register a marriage. You may think your skin color should bring you more rights, but it doesn't. Tough luck.

PS: you'd think a teacher would know how to spell "xenophobic" correctly. No wonder you make less than 30 grand a month.

Allways interesting to read from highly enlightened newbie members that demonstrate they are seasoned TV posters!

Newbie has Thai citizenship in 1 post! ROFL!

Newbie that claims it is possible, also claims unlimited non-imm O visas are offered for visa runners.

Oh, for the ignorant, it is also interesting to hear the magical number 3 used to justify e.g. in the above " I personally know three others." I really don't want to make you look like an idiot, but your wording actually is based on Nazi tried techniques used under Goebbels. You used 3 two times.

But then, that is why I am a qualified teacher and you are...

Edited by AngryParent

If so AnnoyingParent could presumably qualify that way <snip>

I have been following this Thread but not contributing - as I have said in previous Threads on similar subjects Samran has WAY more patience than I have.

I just thought the above Quote was very appropriate - it may have been a mistake ..... or a Freudian slip!

Patrick

And would you care to contribute?

Hey, be my guest to prove my posts wrong regarding citizenship! You can insult me, but you cannot prove me wrong! I guess this sums it up!

But in the process of insulting me and twisting knives in my back, all have forgotten that I came to this forum for help.

Some tried to help, and realized that the odds were against me and shut up. That was kind.

Some, realized the odds were against me but tried to poke me with needles.

Some, in ignorance, followed the herds and tried to insult me.

Did anybody stop and think that this matter affects all farangs in Thailand? Rather than try to contribute as a team, the majority chose to approach this selfishly and independantly. Shoot the other down (who is one step lower etc.). That is why multiple generations of farangs will always be 24 hours away from the departure gate!

Edited by AngryParent

No

You will never be a Thai citizen.

I got it right in post #2, looks like 10 pages to MrAngry for nothing.

But some of the answers were informative and may help me get citizenship, so thanks to everyone.

To which I will quote your own post! You will never get citizenship!

Where I had the energy to try for what I thought was possible, I now realize it is not possible - not becauce of a lack of 40,000 a month (that is the acheivable part). This system is not designed to grant citizenship. It is designed to gain information and control the farangs - hence the detective Special Branch and not the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (ChaengWattana) or immigration police (who deal most with foreigners).

It is a master plan! Foreigners keep chasing the carrot, and pay for the priviledge, and at the same time because they are living in hope of heaven (citizenship) they become quiet farangs for 5-10 years (or the application may never get approved)! So, all the pain and suffering they endure, they shut up for (in the hope of citizenship).

Edited by AngryParent