Food Hygene

Mosha

you guys just keep taking the risk, as a responsible parent i will be cautious with what i feed my children.

As for what is taught at schools Darwanism cannot be looked at under a microscope, germs can.

pick a thread at random, and you will see something from ludditeman bordering on the absurd everytime.

please tell me most of your comments are not serious.

http://www.wcrf.org/...ancer_rates.php

2008 Bowel Cancer Stats.

bowel_cancer_rates.jpg

Good find Banzai!

Looks like mataus is 100% wrong, and the western world has the worst bowel cancer rate.

Comparing Australia and Asia, Asia has 1/3 the bowel cancer victims.

dam_n, that food hygiene problem must be bad in Aus :D

The report says:

The WCRF/AICR Second Expert Report concluded that the risk of bowel cancer is increased with high intakes of red and processed meat, drinking alcohol and being overweight.

Doesn't say anything about food poisoning causing bowel cancer.

i was not saying food poisoning causes bowel cancer, you know that so don't bullshit.

was saying there are high rates of both,

you talk about stats, how many thais do such things as a census.

I never said the west does not have a problem with such issues mentione above.

I never said that so don't put words in my mouth, i simply said thai's are not to big on certain aspects of hygiene in the food department, it is bad.

and they are not overly concerned with the chemicals used on farms.

The sausage cart man often stops near my house and has a piss up the wall with a fag hanging out his mouth doesn't wash his hands after (where could he my house maybe?) then just pushes the cart of sausages exposed to the road fumes swinging about with the momentum, nice.

Note there are also some really grotty food sellers in the UK like the snack bars you see on the side of the road where do they p and s ??? so its not just a Thai thing.

common sense is enough evidence, there is a reason schools in the west teach people to wear gloves and store foods at certain temperatures amongst other things.

germs exist in thailand as they exist everywhere, more so in high heat and humidity.

disregarding the kind of measures that prevent germs spreading will cause problems, cant be denied, thailand is quite a dirty place.

What schools teach in the west is not based on 'common sense'

Some schools teach Darwinism, Creationism, climate change, etc.

Teaching in the west, to some degree, is based on scientific fashion or religious ethics.

Germs exist, but the human body can learn to deal with germs without any help.

Many theories say that contact with germs helps the body build a natural resistance to them.

If rotten food hurt you, Naam Plaa (rotting fish sauce) would be a weapon of mass destruction.

My gf refuses (along with almost every other Thai I know) to store cooked food in a fridge,

Shocking to us western softies, but as I haven't died yet, it seems what we were told in the west wasn't entirely true.

You are certainly welcome to your opinions, but I have to say that those opinions are not backed up by history or science. Food poisoning has been around for eons, yet people back then weren't able to "deal with germs" unless you mean by dying or by a Darwinian survival of the fittest. All evidence points to the Athenians losing the Peloponnesian War due to food poisoning from their cereal, for example. St. Anthony's Fire, which the church branded as punishment sent by God to heretics, was caused by the mold ergot.

Until the British really started realizing what the problem was in the 19th century and people like Pasteur came on the scene, food poisoning remained a huge problem, and even remains a problem today worldwide. Deaths occur in western and non-western countries alike.

There has been some research to indicate that small children, whose immune systems are still developing, need some exposure to pathogens in order for their immune systems to in fact develop properly. But there have been no studies which show that exposure to more pathogens have any beneficial value to adults.

of coarse, children need exposure to germs.

but you do draw the line somewhere.

do your children swim in the chao phraya river, or the flood water, whilst there mother sits nearby chatting to friends smiling.

thats what i'm getting at, that kind of foolishness.

of coarse, children need exposure to germs.

but you do draw the line somewhere.

do your children swim in the chao phraya river, or the flood water, whilst there mother sits nearby chatting to friends smiling.

thats what i'm getting at, that kind of foolishness.

Read my post closer. I wrote that there is some research that indicates children need some exposure to pathogens, and I wrote that to be balanced in my response. The rest of my post clearly takes issue with those who post that germs don't matter, or that Thais are somehow healthier than others because of their lack of some hygienic practices.

I took issue with a poster who took issue with you, so I guess that sort of puts us on the same side of this issue?

fecal contamination in food.

and that is of coarse from not wearing gloves.

but thats a western myth right, who needs gloves.

the botton line is, people are arguing that the western standards of hygiene are not needed here, thais are fine.

why not improve it,.cant believe people will arge that its not unhygienic here,

if i said grass is green someone will dispute that.

A post has been removed with a link to phuketwan.com. Per forum rules:

All members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from bangkokpost.com or phuketwan inside topics on thaivisa.com. Posts containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Links referring back to the sites are also not allowed and will be deleted.

:jap:

the botton line is, people are arguing that the western standards of hygiene are not needed here, thais are fine.

Fecal contamination in food comes from more than just not wearing gloves. It can come from the water and from the soil. I.E. washing dishes or rinsing food in contaminated tap water.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/2007/ucm108873.htm

Potential environmental risk factors for E.coli O157:H7 contamination at or near the field included the presence of wild pigs, the proximity of irrigation wells used to grow produce for ready-to-eat packaging, and surface waterways exposed to feces from cattle and wildlife.

Festuca glauca is BLUE thats blue grass by the way

Well, I have survived for 64 years so far, I do not wear gloves to prepare food, nor did my Mum.

In Thailand the times I have had food poisoning has been from fast food shops

not the places that fry up the food whilst I wait, albeit on the street.

2008 Bowel Cancer Stats.

bowel_cancer_rates.jpg

I would've thought that the risk of death by bowel cancer was increased by not dying from other causes. With the exception that East Asia appears out of place, that graph would be credible as a graph of life expectancy as well.

I really do believe that eating rancid meat can make you sick, even though the last-but-one time that I can recall being thus afflicted was off a Frey Bentos Tinned Steak Pie; that was back when Captain Sensible was Number One (another possible explanation of the poorliness...). The more recent recurrence was after a bowl of fishball noodle soup in Wanchai; though by the time I got home I felt well enough to watch the second-half of the rugby. As I told my colleagues at work on Monday - "Could've been worse - could've seen the whole game".

My local colleagues, who probably eat more local food than I do, seem to have a far higher absenteeism rate due to 1-day ailments.

SC

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral