Thaksin Says He Has No Plans To Return Home

webfact

1322193543[/url]' post='4870647']
You'd expect someone of that stature to be an example to younger generations of Thais. Instead, he's the poster boy for avoiding taxes, lying, and avoiding responsibility (Tak Bai, etc), and upholding the Chinese maxim that "amassing wealth is the most important thing a person can aspire to."

He's completely representative of the majority of Thai people IMO.

Writing as a foreigner who has lived in Bangkok for five years, I agree wholeheartedly.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1322193543[/url]' post='4870647']
You'd expect someone of that stature to be an example to younger generations of Thais. Instead, he's the poster boy for avoiding taxes, lying, and avoiding responsibility (Tak Bai, etc), and upholding the Chinese maxim that "amassing wealth is the most important thing a person can aspire to."

Writing as a foreigner who has lived in Bangkok for five years, I agree wholeheartedly.

Basic human nature, the more you think you can get away with doing something dodgy, the greater the temptation becomes.

If you know for certain that you can get away with it, well.

He once told the public that he has quit politics and started to play golf. He had to leave Thailand because he was still politically active. In many other occasions he also said things he never meant to keep. How do people still believe him? In fact politicians' words are never meant to be taken into account anyways. ALL politicians.

Thaksin says he has no plans to return home

Yep right up there with:

"I am from the government and I'm here to help you."

"I will love you just as much in the morning."

"This won't hurt at all"

"The check is in the mail."

Your arse looks fine in that dress

"Mommy and Daddy are taking a nap"

:whistling:

It's simple: When T gets a ruling in his favor, then he says 'justice was served.' When he gets a ruling against him and his interests, then, "justice hasn't been served.'

That's the thinking of a base human being. However, as an ex-caretaker PM, we expect him to show a bit more maturity and respect for the judicial system in the country he represented. You'd expect someone of that stature to be an example to younger generations of Thais. Instead, he's the poster boy for avoiding taxes, lying, and avoiding responsibility (Tak Bai, etc), and upholding the Chinese maxim that "amassing wealth is the most important thing a person can aspire to."

100% agreed.

He once told the public that he has quit politics and started to play golf. He had to leave Thailand because he was still politically active. In many other occasions he also said things he never meant to keep. How do people still believe him? In fact politicians' words are never meant to be taken into account anyways. ALL politicians.

He also said several times that 'democracy is not important for Thailand' / 'I have no interest in democracy'.

The clown is not even smart enough to hire a decent speech writer to write speeches that cover up his intentions.

He has his public relations guy, Robert Amsterdam, who is quite a good writer, and I speculate that it is he who wrote the recent letter that was supposedly by Thaksin (and then Thaksin, or one of his people in Pheu Thai, translated it into Thai). However, Amsterdam cannot answer questions for him during interviews.

'Quite a good writer'. I'd put it like this 'clever at making black look like white.'

"So I would not go back home until the reconciliation really happens," he said in English. "I don't want to be part of the problem but I want to be part of the solution."

You are part of the problem, and the only way you will be part of the solution is if you never come back.

I don't mean to disagree wb but I am inclined to think Thaksin IS the problem, the whole problem and nothing but the problem.B)

clap2.gifclap2.gif

He says 'reconciliation', but what he really means is a return to the scenario where vote buying, intimidation of the press, intimidation of the judiciary, and intimidation of the electoral commission etc., is as easy as it was before the coup.

Hold on to that thought. You haven't got much else left.

You're right, that should have said he flew in to plead not guilty. Doesn't change the main point of the post which was to question the newspaper's professionalism and MO in persistently writing him in to every story and continuing to elevate him to higher and higher demagogue status.

it sells more newspapers. People like to read about scoundrels. I'm concerned that when he does return and gets back in power (which had been his plan all along, particularly when he got 'fined' for avoiding taxes). He will make some mention of 'I hold no grudges, and will not persecute anyone who has wronged me.' Translated, that means: 'I will hound down every person who has wronged me, and they will be sorely sorry they every crossed me.' He will revert to being the 'mother of all suing machines' ....and slap defamation of character suits right and left, like he used to do when he was in power (remember the young lady reporter who was sued by T because she wrote an article which wasn't flattering?). Amsterdam and Noppadon will love all those filing of lawsuits, as it doesn't matter whether they win or lose, they will all be making money in the process.

Reminds me of a line in the Larry Flynt movie, when a Flynt's lawyer tries to quit: Flynt says to him, "You can't quit working for me. I'm the perfect client. I'm more fun, I'm super rich and I'm always in trouble."