Jimi Hendrix Named Greatest-Ever Guitarist

webfact

I usually don't like list like this but this one is pretty much spot on. Probably because of the voters.

http://www.rollingst...arists-20111123

Can anyone tell me why I can't link to this ? I've tried several of these links from different sources, including the last time Rolling Stone did a top 100 list, and I always get "access denied' to this Rolling Stone site. I'm in Thailand, if that helps.

For me Page was the best - combining skill with excellent songwriting and production abilities - plus he outsold any other guitarist apart from George Harrison regarding shifting album units - and did this without ever releasing a single in the UK ( with Zep )

I've taught guitar for over 25 years - just interested in how a non-player can accurately judge the skill of a guitarist?

Essentially if you simply 'like' a players style - then its purely a personal choice - but to judge one's skill is surely based on your own knowledge of that instrument.

My list of favourites ( based on skill and personal prefs :) )

1. Jimmy Page

2. Jeff Beck

3. Hendrix

4. Santana

5. Peter Green

6. Eddie Van Halen

7. Clapton.

8. SRV

9. Gilmour

10.Frank Zappa

Obviously if 70';s rock is not your thing then this list will stink - but if you are a player then at least 3 of these should be in your list ;)

'Lets not forget Mike Bloomfield,...'

+1...the man was an ace but strictly blues...I remember standing outside in the rain with a boddle of cheap wine at the club he was playing in in North Beach...didn't have no money to get in...my hero...

there is an interview with him on KPFA radio in Berkeley before he died in the early 80s...try to find it on google, hair raising stories of a middle class jew boy guitarist in South Side Chicago...

^^^^ tutsi, MB usually mentioned in the same breath as Paul Butterfield.

Anyway we have all heard this before, but I wonder how many have ever heard the original,

This was on the telly a few days ago and I didnt even recognise him, the music was familair, I thought it was some sort of tribute band, then I closed my eyes and there was no mistaking probably one of the most under rated guitarists ever.

For those who criticise music down loading, read up on how BN was shafted by record companies, how many units did those BBD albums shift, poor guy never got a penny.

Anyway, here is Bill Nelson.

'Lets not forget Mike Bloomfield,...'

+1...the man was an ace but strictly blues...I remember standing outside in the rain with a boddle of cheap wine at the club he was playing in in North Beach...didn't have no money to get in...my hero...

there is an interview with him on KPFA radio in Berkeley before he died in the early 80s...try to find it on google, hair raising stories of a middle class jew boy guitarist in South Side Chicago...

Yo tutsi, youtube is your friend, check this out, that me done for the day, its a 10 parter,

All mentioned were certainly groundbreaking (bar Clapton) ...but "The Best"?

Not a chance.

What was their criteria? Seems like nostalgia always rules reality and actual ability in these "Best Ever" polls.

Whither BB King, Albert Lee, Satriani, Mustaine, Gilmour... to name but a few?

Albert Lee, without a doubt

rgs...I think that Little Walter should have led the Butterfield group...Paul Butterfield was just a punk inna leather jacket...but let's not get started with harp players..old Elvin Bishop was no slouch with the rythm and blues...

sho 'nuff...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Some real good options mentioned above - I prefer to separate the innovators ( Robert Johnson et al ) from the masters of their craft.

No doubt the innovators are more vital however.

One point I made in my earlier post I would like to revise if possible.

If you cannot play the guitar to a decent level - how can you judge the skill level of a guitar god?

No flames please - just interested in a nice friendly debate :)

I realise we all have favourites - and this is based on our own personal set of likes/dislikes etc - but judging the skill level is surely based on our own talent/playing competence?

When I discuss a new or established guitarist with my 'muso' friends, we tend to discuss the vibrato technique or the use of mixolydian progressions within a pentatonic major framework.

Sounds a tad boring but these are the yardsticks used in rating a guitarists skill - not evoking memories of a dark rainy night in Chipping Sodbury ;)

Chon

Edited by chonabot

Some real good options mentioned above - I prefer to separate the innovators ( Robert Johnson et al ) from the masters of their craft.

If you cannot play the guitar to a decent level - how can you judge the skill level of a guitar god?

I realise we all have favourites - and this is based on our own personal set of likes/dislikes etc - but judging the skill level is surely based on our own talent/playing competence?

When I discuss a new or established guitarist with my 'muso' friends, we tend to discuss the vibrato technique or the use of mixolydian progressions within a pentatonic major framework.

Sounds a tad boring but these are the yardsticks used in rating a guitarists skill - not evoking memories of a dark rainy night in Chipping Sodbury ;)

Chon

It is all about the end product for me . Where the measure of the skills , teqnique and knowledge and then others like invention along with emotion , choice of instrument , style of music . Jimmi Hendrix had all of that and something else but so did Chet Atkins .

Chon

It is all about the end product for me . Where the measure of the skills , teqnique and knowledge and then others like invention along with emotion , choice of instrument , style of music . Jimmi Hendrix had all of that and something else but so did Chet Atkins .

Agreed, way too many fret board wanke_rs out there.

There is no doubting the talents of guys like, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, the guy out of Dream Theatre sorry cant recall his name but he is a Satriani lookalike, these guys leave me cold. Yngwie Malmsteen is an example of what I would consider to be a fretboard wanke_r.

Neil Young will never be up there as a great, but songs such as Powderfinger, Cortez, Down By The River, I could listen to all day.

And talking of influntial guitarists, no mention yet of Bert Weedon, who knows how many his Play Away In A Day influenced.

No mention yet of another, Django Reinhardt, a pioneering virtuoso who invented a whole new style of jazz technique, although how much of that was down to his damaged hand is debatable.

Chon

Agreed, way too many fret board wanke_rs out there.

There is no doubting the talents of guys like, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, the guy out of Dream Theatre sorry cant recall his name but he is a Satriani lookalike, these guys leave me cold. Yngwie Malmsteen is an example of what I would consider to be a fretboard wanke_r.

Neil Young will never be up there as a great, but songs such as Powderfinger, Cortez, Down By The River, I could listen to all day.

And talking of influntial guitarists, no mention yet of Bert Weedon, who knows how many his Play Away In A Day influenced.

No mention yet of another, Django Reinhardt, a pioneering virtuoso who invented a whole new style of jazz technique, although how much of that was down to his damaged hand is debatable.

Totally agree regarding the fretboard tossers - Neil Young has more emotion in his eyebrow than Y Mangosteen has in his spandex wardrobe :)