External Hard Drives

cowslip

i don't know if i'm just unlucky, but i have soo many drives fail that i purchase here in thailand. minorly off topic, but do they sell lower quality hardware here than what's exported? just seems strange, drives are manufactured here, but still cost more than it does in the usa (even before the flooding, about 20% more), plus, it seems to be less reliable (about 30% of my drives fail due to bad sectors or failing SMART)

Distribution drives are the same everywhere. No reason for drives here to be of a lower quality. Unless you're comparing distribution drives against sold to the OEM, then yes there is a difference in performance.

I often wonder if the higher failure rate is down to temperature and humidity. I have had more hard drive and component failures here than back home in a comparative period.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know if i'm just unlucky, but i have soo many drives fail that i purchase here in thailand. minorly off topic, but do they sell lower quality hardware here than what's exported? just seems strange, drives are manufactured here, but still cost more than it does in the usa (even before the flooding, about 20% more), plus, it seems to be less reliable (about 30% of my drives fail due to bad sectors or failing SMART)

Distribution drives are the same everywhere. No reason for drives here to be of a lower quality. Unless you're comparing distribution drives against sold to the OEM, then yes there is a difference in performance.

I often wonder if the higher failure rate is down to temperature and humidity. I have had more hard drive and component failures here than back home in a comparative period.

almost all companies I've err worked for have an extra level or two of QC for export items.

I notice too that the prices are coming down again.....maybe they realised that people simply wouldn't buy at the gouged prices and they've had to reduce to sell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone bought a WD My Book Essential 3TB or similar from Pantip of Fortune recently? If so, what did you pay?

FYI, I got one from a place called Cheap.co.th. Here's the link to their 3gb My Book, but it's currently out of stock Their listed price is 6494 THB, but you can only see that from their search page, I guess because it's out of stock. Overall, this place has the lowest prices I've seen in Thailand (by far actually), and the round-trip on my order was only about 3 days. Good selection but half their products have very poor descriptions, so have to hunt around for magic mfg product ID's to find things they haven't manually put descriptions for.

"Nobody is 'trying their luck' here. Genuine market shortages forcing genuine market prices." - that of course was nonsense.

i read an article on arstechnica.com a month or so ago that globally HD prices have not gone down to pre-flood prices, and because of this all the mfg competition is focused on the SSD market... that's where all the price dropping is going on.

a real tragedy for Thailand... party partisanship and local interests cause (not contribute to) floods that now destroys Thailand's only high-tech mfg industry.

"Nobody is 'trying their luck' here. Genuine market shortages forcing genuine market prices." - that of course was nonsense.

i read an article on arstechnica.com a month or so ago that globally HD prices have not gone down to pre-flood prices, and because of this all the mfg competition is focused on the SSD market... that's where all the price dropping is going on.

a real tragedy for Thailand... party partisanship and local interests cause (not contribute to) floods that now destroys Thailand's only high-tech mfg industry.

" Thailand's only high-tech mfg industry" - you've got to be joking, right?

I saw this coming... The prices had come down slowly over many years...Once they shot up, there wasn't really any excuse to just bring them back down again when they can make a larger profit now that they're up and people are "used to it".

• 4 weeks later...