Thai Gov Block Netfirms.com

Khun Bob

Last night i just found a domain registrar that offers some good deals and wanted to find out what their process is - so went most of the way through buying a name before backing out. Try again 5 mins later and i get told this site is blocked by the thai government.

I could still access it through the ip address - which i got by pinging the site - and i know i could go through a proxy - but why pick on a domain registrar ? Also has anyone had a similar experience and took it up with the gov ? I guess it is just not worth it as a farang in thailand - may cause a whole load of other problems....

This is what i get still today :

Sorry,

The web site you are accessing has been blocked by the requested of The Communication Authority of Thailand.

For more information please contact:

Ministry of Information an Communication Technology

Building 9, TOT PCL Chaeng Wattana Rd. Laksi Bangkok 10210

Tel. 0-2505-7147,0-2568-2498

Thanks to this episode i have now discovered muliproxy and privoxy which seem to do the trick and actually speed up access to some sites - just wonder what experience anyone else has had with these...

Maybe this warrants a new thread...

You can do a trace route from your computer to trace the route from your computer to the domain you want to check.

Go to START > RUN and type "tracert domain.com" without the quotes and write the domain you want to check instead of the domain.com in this example. And leave out the http:// and www.

Last night i just found a domain registrar that offers some good deals and wanted to find out what their process is - so went most of the way through buying a name before backing out.  Try again 5 mins later and i get told this site is blocked by the thai government.

I could still access it through the ip address - which i got by pinging the site - and i know i could go through a proxy - but why pick on a domain registrar ?  Also has anyone had a similar experience and took it up with the gov ?  I guess it is just not worth it as a farang in thailand - may cause a whole load of other problems....

This is what i get still today :

Sorry,

The web site you are accessing has been blocked by the requested of The Communication Authority of Thailand.

For more information please contact:

Ministry of Information an Communication Technology

Building 9, TOT PCL Chaeng Wattana Rd. Laksi Bangkok 10210

Tel. 0-2505-7147,0-2568-2498

same:

?? what is Internet KSC ???

i have TOT ADSL 256 from KOH SAMUI

see att.

http___www.netfirms.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

The scary part is that they might have been watching you as you surf.

I have had some strange experiences of web sites being blocked

while I am using them.

Also all web connections seem to be throgh a proxy

with a TCP/IP of 50. something

which is an Australian TCP/IP.

Is the internet blocking being managed from Australia?

Also if you TRACERT any web site you may be visiting

the first link is reported back as *** *** *** ***

which means it is somehow blanked out.

Or am I just getting paranoid?

• 3 weeks later...
The scary part is that they might have been watching you as you surf.

Also if you TRACERT any web site you may be visiting

the first link is reported back as *** *** *** ***

which means it is somehow blanked out.

Or am I just getting paranoid?

Well paranoid for paranoid i'm evaluating if the Communication Authority of Thailand can check a single IP traffic, and if is it possible to avoid that.

My concern is not related to Netfirms.com

As you can see from the following test :

ping server http://netfirms.com (8.8 ms)

64.34.74.254 www.netfirms.com

http://netfirms.com is located in United States

But if i am the admin of this website and i work from Thailand where this kind of offered services are not legal, can i be involved in any control from the Thai authority?

I suppose not, the website is located on a United States server, so it's under another jurisdiction.

At least, i think, they can close the view of the website for the people who are in Thailand.

It's not a little concern, can you help me to evaluate the risks in advance and if there are ways to be safe?