Bike Rental On Tourist Visa

mrireland

Hi,

Im staying long term in Chiang Mai and im thinking of renting a bike. Just want something very basic. Ive never really rode a bike before so ill go for a standard scooter type.

Im looking for a shop that

1 - Doesnt look for a huge deposit, hoping for something around 1k deposit and 1 months rent in advance

2 - Doesn't hold my passport and will accept a copy

3 - Is reputable and isnt likely to try and scam me for false damages

Would appreciate any advice on a good place and im currently staying near Thae Pae Gate

Other question is price, i want something basic, so i can expect to pay 2k-2.5k from what ive read on the topic, is this correct for a scooter type basic model?

Lastly i have an Irish drivers license which i didnt bring with me so i guess thats the same as having no license, im on a tourist visa so is it possible for me to apply for a thai bike license? If not will shops still give me a rental bike?

If i get stopped by police without a license what are the consequences, im assuming if i have any damage or crash or the bike is stolen i will then be responsible for the full price of the bike, for the bottom of the range scooter what would that set me back?

Thanks for any help

Bikky's at Suthep Road, end of the road and on the left coming from the moat, just before market Ton/Tom Phayom, 0841773577, 0801220985

No deposit, they don't need any license, they will copy your passport.

An automatic for 2 k, but not the newest model. Don't settle with the first bike they offer, unless you're happy with it, just try a few scooters.

But the location is pretty busy, so if it is your first ride on a bike, it is not the most ideal location for a test ride.

Damage or bike stolen: read the contract. Reparation= cheap, don't worry about it. And lock your bike at night.

Helmets there are so-so. Buy yourself a helmet.

More months + pay in advance can get you a discount (negotiate) with the owner. They also have Bikky2 at Huay Kaew road, but bikes are more expensive.

Getting a bike license is easy and cheap. Details are on the forum --> search engine

Edited by Femme

good to have valid license either thai or international on hand if an accident occurs as some insurance dont pay out if you dont have one

police has not asked for my license either at moat area or when they stopped me in chiangrai/Mai Sai

the shop will sell/rent you w/o any proof of license; cash applied

buy your own lock and lock the bike all times

read the contract for repair cost, theft, accident and replacement, my last contract stated 20K for small bike and 40K for big bike

(yes, some pple do get bully and pay full price brand new bike)

is better you take some training on the small soi first before you head for big road/highway :)

2 comments:

1. You've never really ridden a motorcycle before and you choose Thailand to experiment? O.K. up to you but be aware that it is probably the most dangerous place to do this.

2. If you don't have a valid driver's license then no insurance company in any country of the world will cover you on a claim. So if you are involved in an accident you will be liable 100% as the insurance you take out at the motorcycle rental shop will not pay once they discover you are unlicensed.

Thanks for all the replies. Im not choosing thailand as a place to learn its out of necessity, im planning on doing a reasonable amount of site seeing and i need to make visits to shopping centres etc regularly and considering im staying long term it seems like it makes sense rather than paying for tuk tuks. I also know the roads are pretty dangerous, ive seen how people drive but i wouldnt imagine its too hard to drive a scooter once i get a bit of practise.

The thing im worried about is people say its easy to get a license but has anyone on a tourist visa without an international license got one, if so i would appreciate the advice

1. I got my original license on a tourist visa, as the others have said, its easy.

2. 99.999% of scooters have a disc brake. You can use any padlock to lock through the disc. buy almost anywhere.

3. The rental company should provide a helmet, if its not good enough try the road that goes towards the river from Mike's Burger. There is a shop a couple hundred meters down on the left that sells helmets.

4. The contract will have no bearing as they will have nothing to hold you to. You'll be walking away from 1000B. Yes, yes, everyone says that they will man-up, .....until they total a bike or have one stolen.

If you are going to stay for a while, its better to buy your own bike.

p.s where is a good place near Thae Pae Gate to buy a lock and also same question for helmet?

I have been stopped by the police a few times and had an accident, my American DL is fine and I have been here 10 months. But Thai driver's are, in general, VERY BAD so beware because you can crash doing nothing wrong because some moron has no idea how to drive or brain.

A couple things I will take from Thailand....road rash, motorbike burn (from a guy that parked directly behind me because he has no brain) and the fact that American driver's aren't so bad.

Bikky is the place you are looking for and I have rented from more than one place. I would suggest buying a 600-800 baht helmet which probbaly wouldn't be legal in US but better and larger than the ones places Bikky give out with rental plus Bikky keeps a lock and chain under my sear although I never used because I usually only park in very public places so I feel my bike is safe. my 2 cents;-) and that's about 2 cents more than 80% of the drivers here

• 4 weeks later...

Bikky's at Suthep Road, end of the road and on the left coming from the moat, just before market Ton/Tom Phayom, 0841773577, 0801220985

No deposit, they don't need any license, they will copy your passport.

An automatic for 2 k, but not the newest model. Don't settle with the first bike they offer, unless you're happy with it, just try a few scooters.

But the location is pretty busy, so if it is your first ride on a bike, it is not the most ideal location for a test ride.

Damage or bike stolen: read the contract. Reparation= cheap, don't worry about it. And lock your bike at night.

Helmets there are so-so. Buy yourself a helmet.

More months + pay in advance can get you a discount (negotiate) with the owner. They also have Bikky2 at Huay Kaew road, but bikes are more expensive.

Getting a bike license is easy and cheap. Details are on the forum --> search engine

Things have changed at BIkky's! New staff is grumpy and service is less! The personal touch has gone now they've expanded their business. It always was worth the hassle to get there, as it is not easy to get a songtheaw to the shop, but now I'd advice to find a nice rental shop near where you're staying.

I have been stopped by the police a few times and had an accident, my American DL is fine and I have been here 10 months. But Thai driver's are, in general, VERY BAD so beware because you can crash doing nothing wrong because some moron has no idea how to drive or brain.

A couple things I will take from Thailand....road rash, motorbike burn (from a guy that parked directly behind me because he has no brain) and the fact that American driver's aren't so bad.

Bikky is the place you are looking for and I have rented from more than one place. I would suggest buying a 600-800 baht helmet which probbaly wouldn't be legal in US but better and larger than the ones places Bikky give out with rental plus Bikky keeps a lock and chain under my sear although I never used because I usually only park in very public places so I feel my bike is safe. my 2 cents;-) and that's about 2 cents more than 80% of the drivers here

About helmets: a year ago they at least had a few decent helmets, now they offer you only crap helmets when you rent a bike and the good ones you can rent... I stopped recommending Bikky to friends anymore.

Btw elektrified, you convinced me to finally get my driver's license.

if you want to rent a motor bike shop around and check out many shops before you decide.they will not ask you for a license but may keep your passport until the bike is returned and deposit is paid before you drive away.be careful as said before where you leave it and lock it up.wear a helmet during the day,but you can get away with it at night but still carry it.many places rent bikes like tony,s big bikes or blue sky garden.you have so many to chose from.a international driving license is useful to have if you have a accident,but unless you have one you will never show it .

Edited by bristolgeoff

Thanks for all the replies. Im not choosing thailand as a place to learn its out of necessity, im planning on doing a reasonable amount of site seeing and i need to make visits to shopping centres etc regularly and considering im staying long term it seems like it makes sense rather than paying for tuk tuks. I also know the roads are pretty dangerous, ive seen how people drive but i wouldnt imagine its too hard to drive a scooter once i get a bit of practise.

The thing im worried about is people say its easy to get a license but has anyone on a tourist visa without an international license got one, if so i would appreciate the advice

you cannot get thai license without 1 year visa

Im assuming you don't have motorbike on your Irish 1, so an Intl 1 wouldn't cover bikes either. However, forget all the doomsayers, Thailand is not so bad for driving bikes. But first time, I would wait till night time or very early morning when the roads are quiet for a first go

you cannot get thai license without 1 year visa

Im assuming you don't have motorbike on your Irish 1, so an Intl 1 wouldn't cover bikes either. However, forget all the doomsayers, Thailand is not so bad for driving bikes. But first time, I would wait till night time or very early morning when the roads are quiet for a first go

I know plenty of people who got a Thai license on just a tourist visa. I suppose it all depends on which area Immigration office you use (and how much tea money) for the residency paper.

I have a bike you can rent 1,500 Baht per month - its a Honda Dream 100cc very reliable - have a large parking area in front of my warehouse so can teach you all you need to know - if I can do it you can - step through gears - very straight forward. I am based in Hangdong - give me a call on 0810307565