Homepro Chiang Mai

JSL

Has anyone figured out the market economics at play that allows HomePro to have 100+ staff employees standing around doing virtually nothing all day after initial stocking is complete? It's a surreal sight that I have witnessed at multiple stores on numerous occasions. I realize they only make 300-500 baht a day but that is the local rate that the market bears. Simliar stores in the States(Lowes & Home Depot) employ 1/10 the employees that always seem to get the job done and who are also working for local minimun wage.

hahaha water heaters do appear to be the product of the month.I'm not really bothered, I just like to know how things work and am always asking questions (sometime rhetorical)

...just to brake the ice...it doesn't badder me,as long as they don't badder me...and want to sell me another water heater....:D....(BTW,try to find anybody to help you in Home Depot :whistling:)

Well, it's not just HomePro, and not just Chiangmai..

All of these retail home improvements stores (Homepro, Homemart, Globalhouse etc) operate on the same business model, which is forcing their suppliers to provide sales staff. That's why there's so many around the hot water heaters.. One for Panasonic, one for Siemens, etc.

Same goes for Cooktops/Ovens/Hoods, Fridges/Freezers, Kitchens, TV's, appliances etc etc. Basically, anything with an average ticket price >2K or so. Not only that, the distributors have to rent the floor and shelf space they occupy too, with more desirable locations being more expensive, and they also have to supply all stock on a consignment basis.

It's a great business model :)

So in short, they're not all Homepro staff, but rather distributor's reps wearing Homepro uniforms.

Excellent!!! It didn't add up to me but now it's crystal clear. Thanks.

Well, it's not just HomePro, and not just Chiangmai..

All of these retail home improvements stores (Homepro, Homemart, Globalhouse etc) operate on the same business model, which is forcing their suppliers to provide sales staff. That's why there's so many around the hot water heaters.. One for Panasonic, one for Siemens, etc.

Same goes for Cooktops/Ovens/Hoods, Fridges/Freezers, Kitchens, TV's, appliances etc etc. Basically, anything with an average ticket price >2K or so. Not only that, the distributors have to rent the floor and shelf space they occupy too, with more desirable locations being more expensive, and they also have to supply all stock on a consignment basis.

It's a great business model :)

So in short, they're not all Homepro staff, but rather distributor's reps wearing Homepro uniforms.

Do they work on commission?

Went to Tesco to replace my flooded fridge and the rep said Mitsubishi fridges were bad. Went to Power Buy and the rep was saying Mitsubishi was one of the best. I say a fridge is a fridge nowadays. I went with the Mitsu because I thought it looked nice.

Also, they couldn't possibly have one rep per brand. There were at least 10 different brands of fridges available and I only saw two guys in each fridge section of the respective stores. - Although the TV sections were packed with sales dudes...

Oh, and by mentioning Mitsubishi I'm keeping this thread motor-related. (fridges have motors too) biggrin.gif

Went to Tesco to replace my flooded fridge and the rep said Mitsubishi fridges were bad. Went to Power Buy and the rep was saying Mitsubishi was one of the best. I say a fridge is a fridge nowadays. I went with the Mitsu because I thought it looked nice.

Also, they couldn't possibly have one rep per brand. There were at least 10 different brands of fridges available and I only saw two guys in each fridge section of the respective stores. - Although the TV sections were packed with sales dudes...

Oh, and by mentioning Mitsubishi I'm keeping this thread motor-related. (fridges have motors too) biggrin.gif

Thats Cool, A Mitsu Pajero G.T. Fridge. Tinted Glass Sections inside, and Little Mag Wheels no doubt.biggrin.gif.

Thats Cool, A Mitsu Pajero G.T. Fridge. Tinted Glass Sections inside, and Little Mag Wheels no doubt.biggrin.gif.

I would love it if you could deck out your fridge with a rocking sound system!

Oh yeah and a GPS tracking system so I could find out who has been eating my private chocolate stash ;)

Bored with my Mitsu fridge I keep my Rolls in it, needs some crome bling or some new ABS if I can a-Ford it, a bit Daf really i guess.:) .

Edited by Kwasaki