Making Your Own Food At Home

kikoman

I have been very busy making many of my own foods at home , during the store re-stocking slow down because of the flood,

We were able to get by because we made the most part of our food at home.

Ham, Bacon, sausage ,Pickles, Fresh Cheese. bread, tortillas corn & flour, Mexican Chorizo, Carnitas, etc..

Most of the recipes I just goggled up on search, and them just followed them,

in the last 2 weeks we made,

Loin Ham

post-91962-0-64620800-1322531500_thumb.j

Dill pickles

post-91962-0-77072100-1322531530_thumb.j

Beef Jerky

post-91962-0-34269900-1322531558_thumb.j

Queso Fresco

post-91962-0-10220400-1322531604_thumb.j

Any one can make your own food at home, just think of one of your favorite foods,google it up on the computer

and follow the Recipe. Its is as easy as that!

Good Luck!

Cheers:smile.gif

Edited by kikoman

No reason not to cook at home. When we met my now wife would only eat Thai.

Now she makes and EATS Italian, Indian, Chinese, British and North American grub. She also bakes scones, bread pudding, apple crumble and has recently made her forst xmas cake.

As the OP says the info is all online --- including some cexcellent demonstrations on youtube... cook at home - eat out less

Think I my get her to try the dill pickles they look great :)

Edited by Gers1873

Now she makes and EATS Italian, Indian, Chinese, British and North American grub. She also bakes scones, bread pudding, apple crumble and has recently made her forst xmas cake.

As the OP says the info is all online --- including some cexcellent demonstrations on youtube... cook at home - eat out less

be careful thai girls can bulk up very quickly :)

I cooked at home a lot but have recently changed to thai food, reason being I ate to much when all the foods were sitting in the fridge

Yes, Nana foods I made some a few months ago, it came out great thanks to the spice that you gave me. I also will make some pasta with my

newly acquired pasta maker, I plan to take pictures and post them on the forum. The sauce I used is yours I still have a few bottles from the case I

purchased. I did my usual thing in reverse I replaced my home made sauce with your traditional sauce.

Gers1873, that is what happened to me, we ate only Thai food and now she makes flour tortillas almost every morning, she now is in charge of

making our chorizo at home, we always have frijoles refritos, in the freezer that she can defrost and re-fry them anytime I ask for beans, she makes

tamales with sticky rice and chile con carne filling that are the next best things to traditional tamales.

Tutsiwarrior,

Yes I found the fresh dill in my mother-in-laws yard, it also is sold at the local market. It is surprizing what one finds in the Thais garden

just to-night some of the family from Bangkok came over and we have a little going away party, as after a month in the village they will go home to see

how much the flood damaged there house. My mother in law asked my wife to go across the street and get some limes from her brothers house. When

my wife came back she stopped to talk to us when I noticed these yellow things in her hand they were Yellow Lemons, after 6 years of living here I found

out our family has a lemon tree. I told my wife we had to get some seeds to plant, and she said 'I did that 2 years ago', we have a 7 foot high lemon tree in my yard.

Hooters,

My wife eats a lot of western foods and in the 7 years we have been married she may gain one or 2 kilos, them she goes on a diet to take it off, she weights herself every day and takes the extra weigh off as needed. I also have a problem with extra weigh and have limited the size of the portions of food I eat. I limit the size of the servings and also limited my self to one tortilla or one slice of bread for each meal.

I eat all foods but limit the amount I eat.

Edited by kikoman

I do a lot of my own food, but corn tortillas seem beyond me. I have read your posts before on the subject, kikoman, but I can't seem to get the right ingredients and get the things right.

I used "Maseca" ( packaged corn tortilla flour) that I brought from the old country when I visited last year, you need a masa-harina to make corn tortillas at home, I have made corn tortillas from Mexican corn seed that I planted and grew here in Thailand, but it is a very involved process. There are some member of this forum that were growing Hominy type corn in Thailand , If you check back on the threads you can be able to find out who these persons are and ask them if they could give you or sell you some seed corn.

Edited by kikoman

after spending 20yrs.in the uk my wife enjoys most home made food,we have a bakery supply shop nearby so its cookies,brownies,custard tarts fruit cake,meat pies and she loves a nice sirlion steak onions,mushrooms french mustard and a plate of home made chips.bacon butties,sausage sarnies and my good old fashion home made brawn with brown sauce.

My family has been eating a lot of Western foods, my mother-in-law likes freshly cooked beans, my father-in-law likes any western sweets you put in front of him,

my wife and the girls like ham , bacon, baked goods, They are eating more of the food I make. I still eat a lot of Thai food, that I enjoy greatly.

I do not try to get them to eat western food they eat it because they wanted to taste it and liked it.

cheers:smile.gif

most of the western food that I prepare at home is for my own consumption and my kitchen is separate from the greater household kitchen...I've made stuff that I thought that the family would like but without success most of the time (spicy veg curries, etc)...one thing that everyone likes are my marinated roasted pork ribs...gotta be crazy not to like that stuff...but I've managed to get the family to eat more vegetables and broccoli, cauli and greens are now appearing more frequently on their table...

and recently I've seen encroaching falang influence in snack foods...my wife, little niece and grandson like peanut butter and jam sandwiches and increasingly bread becomes a popular item...the other day I saw my wife making a ham and cheddar cheese sandwich with mayo and mustard...the step daughter who likes to come across like a thai food nazi (she pretended to barf when tasting A&W root beer) I discovered making a smoothie from strawberries, muesli, my own home made unsweetened yogurt and milk...she tried to hide what she was doing when I appeared but no dice and I frowned imperiously and hissed 'hypocrite'...

That's great your extended family is open-minded for Western foods. My extended fam is similar. My wife's dad really loved the pumpkin pie I made and also likes other Western sweets - he does have a bit of a sweet-tooth in general, though.

My wife's middle sister, who is married to a Japanese fellow, loves all my Italian foods, and has regular requests... the nephew ordered lasagna for his b-day. She particularly likes the white sauces, though, as she is not experienced at making milk.cream-based sauces (she is an excellent Thai cook in her own right). They went nuts over the chicken carbonara.

Anywho, your loin ham inspired me to make some of my own. Been looking for some decent leg meat, but cannot find a suitable cut locally. So the loin should suffice. I'll be doing an American style brine... the main distinctive flavoring being celery seed, but also with brown sugar, bay, allspice, and a touch of clove... Oh, and liquid smoke, as I feel lazy to fire up the smoker for just one loin, and it worked quite well last time with the Canadian bacon.... and I have nearly a gallon of the stuff to use up.

Mayhaps I will post pics when its ready... about 2-weeks.

Many family member have tried my homemade foods, last week a nephew tried my spicy pickles and I thought he was going to eat up the entire gallon jar of pickles.

When I make (Barbacoa) meat in my underground pit, it is consumed at the party, If I want some to put in the freezer I put that up before serving the meat at the party.

As Thai and Mexican food have a lot of the same spices and ingredients in common in their foods, the taste is not so much something that Thai have to get use to.

Thailand, the pickles are a good choice to make, simple, easy and you can adjust the spices to your taste.

Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...

be careful thai girls can bulk up very quickly :)

Yeah, I´m thinking serving mine as pot-roast this Sunday :P

Many family member have tried my homemade foods, last week a nephew tried my spicy pickles and I thought he was going to eat up the entire gallon jar of pickles.

When I make (Barbacoa) meat in my underground pit, it is consumed at the party, If I want some to put in the freezer I put that up before serving the meat at the party.

As Thai and Mexican food have a lot of the same spices and ingredients in common in their foods, the taste is not so much something that Thai have to get use to.

Thailand, the pickles are a good choice to make, simple, easy and you can adjust the spices to your taste.

Good Luck

in the bolivian countryside on a sunday the chicherias do a pit roast (hole in the ground with hot stones) with baby pigs called 'chupon'...suckling pig...when cooked they remove it from the pit and wash off the dirt and serve it up with large pitchers of the local strongly alcoholic chicha...long trestle tables with folks chowing down tossing the bones on the ground and getting drunk on chicha...

in Chile they serve non alcoholic chicha on their national day and there is no resemblance other than the name...the andean indigenous influence is stronger in Bolivia...in a previous life tutsi was called 'tutsi yupanqui' or story teller in the quechua language...

• 3 weeks later...

I've got dill in the garden, black peppercorn (store bought), garlic, sugar..Any advice for other ingredients, amounts, or procedure?

Here's an easy recipe, good luck:

cool.png

Refrigerator Pickles

Ingredients:

• 2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbs Pickling Spice
  • 1 Tbs Turmeric (optional)
  • 4 small red Birdseye chilies (optional)
  • 8 Garlic cloves
  • 1 head of Dill
  • 6 small onions, peeled
  • Small cucumbers

Directions

1. Combine water, vinegar, salt, sugar, pickling spice & turmeric in saucepan and bring to boil.
  2. In the meantime, scrub cucumbers and peel onions. Cut garlic cloves into 1/4's.
  3. Pack cucumbers & onions into a large glass or pottery jar. First, some dill- then layering with chilies, garlic, onions, cucumbers, and then more dill, chilies & garlic.
  4. Poor hot brine over all. Let cool, seal tightly and refrigerate for 1 week, shaking the jar well once a day.

Edited by Michaelaway

An interesting book I have is called "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter". it is about a lady that, during a time of unemployment, decides to try and make most of her own food. For example, [from review], Although you should make your hot dog buns, guacamole, and yogurt, you should probably buy your hamburger buns, potato chips, and rice pudding. Tired? Buy your mayonnaise. Inspired? Make it.

A fun book that also includes the difficulty factor in trying to make certain foods and a cost comparison to store bought.

Yes! there is pickling spice available at the market stated in the last post, also the recipe posted is a great one!

Anyone can find out all they need on search, how to make your own homemade pickling spice, a recipe is available

just goggle it. there are recipes on how to make different type of pickles, the first time you make it stick to the recipe

as much as possible, the second time you can adjust the recipe to fit your own taste.

Also on the search you can find a "Spice substitution" list, if you do not have a particular spice in the recipe the list

recommends different spices you can use in place of that spice or you can just omit that spice or item in the recipe.

Good Luck, Good Cooking!

Cheers:licklips.gif