Briton Detained After Thai Girlfriend Jumps Off 7th Floor Of Pattaya Hotel

webfact

Detained does not mean arrested or that he was put in a cell or handcuffed. You are also "detained" when you are pulled over for a traffic stop. They simply are questioning him and investigating the incident at this point.

Yes, being detained is really quite innocent.

Like being detained at Camp X-Ray for example.

Simply questioning and investigating.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very lucky young lady indeed. A 7th floor jump by a farang is suicidal. I hope she makes it.

I also hope the truth comes out and this British guy is not stitched up by the police or her family.

Maybe not so lucky. A fall from that height usually is accompanied by massive bone fractures including the spine.

Im not surprised by the jump, Bg"s are very much into self harm you only need to see the scars all over the arms and body.

She was/is a bargirl?

I didn't see that anywhere in the article.

Can you provide your source please?

Thanks.

No need...just assume it! Thai girl+ with farang + jumps of balcony= must be bargirl!

Sure!

NOT!

It always amazes me how so many know all know nothings on here jump to conclusions or make statements without having any idea of the full circumstances.

It is quite possible for a Thai girl to be so distraught from a relationship ending that she tries to kill herself. You may wish to know what reference I am quoting from my own comment or statement. Well it is from personal experience, having dragged a Thai girl out of the sea at the bottom of Pattaya Klang, who had attempted to drown herself following her relationship ending. This was a serious attempt at drowning herself as it took a little time to get her breathing again. Fortunately having been a dive instructor, I was able to do so before letting the EMS take charge of her.

A very lucky young lady indeed. A 7th floor jump by a farang is suicidal. I hope she makes it.

I also hope the truth comes out and this British guy is not stitched up by the police or her family.

Maybe not so lucky. A fall from that height usually is accompanied by massive bone fractures including the spine.

Im not surprised by the jump, Bg"s are very much into self harm you only need to see the scars all over the arms and body.

She was/is a bargirl?

I didn't see that anywhere in the article.

Can you provide your source please?

Thanks.

My apoligies. There is a very strong chance she is a university graduate with a high ranking corporate position who lives in Pattaya.

:coffee1:

They could not have possibly been a "normal" couple?

Because he has tatttoos?

Because there was alcohol involved?

He's being questioned yet when a Farang jumps/falls the GF is always presumed innocent.

Why don't we just wait until the girl wakes up? It's so easy to jump to conclusions. Le't hope that she'll survive. Chances in this country are not too high, Sorry, but I know what I'm talking about. jap.gif

Know what you are talking about? Examined her yourself did you? You are a qualified doctor of course and have consulted with other attending physicians.

He's being questioned yet when a Farang jumps/falls the GF is always presumed innocent.

Why don't we just wait until the girl wakes up? It's so easy to jump to conclusions. Le't hope that she'll survive. Chances in this country are not too high, Sorry, but I know what I'm talking about. jap.gif

So what is the exact nature of her injuries?

Perhaps if posters read the accompanying article they would see a few extra facts:

There are witnesses who saw her jump, the boyfriend was examined physically for any signs he had been in a fight - nothing found.

The girl survived because her fall was broken by a coconut tree.

At last someone who has actually bothered to read the O/P. Instead of jumping straight into waffle mode.

jb1

It always amazes me how so many know all know nothings on here jump to conclusions or make statements without having any idea of the full circumstances.

It is quite possible for a Thai girl to be so distraught from a relationship ending that she tries to kill herself. You may wish to know what reference I am quoting from my own comment or statement. Well it is from personal experience, having dragged a Thai girl out of the sea at the bottom of Pattaya Klang, who had attempted to drown herself following her relationship ending. This was a serious attempt at drowning herself as it took a little time to get her breathing again. Fortunately having been a dive instructor, I was able to do so before letting the EMS take charge of her.

If she was a Brit would you stereotype every Brit women too? Why the need to specify "Thai" ??? Isn't it true that all people (males too) off themselves over relationships? Isn't it also true that some people kill others over relationship fights?

Ratcatcher take ya beer goggles of me boy,she was Thai??

But as I read there are eyewitnesses right, who saw that she jumped herself?

You might want to read again. If somebody saw her jump herself there would be no reason to detain and examine the boyfriend.

Why do these young blokes come here ? When I first arrived here in 1995 I was considered young at 42. You rarely saw a foreigner under 30 . However, now they come in hordes WHY ?? When I was in my 20's I could always get a bird back home. I can't get one anymore.... well.... one that I would want, so I come here......... But then I am faced with these young <deleted>, what are they doing here ? Go back home and wait until you are 50+ and then return.

That is what Pattaya is for, so the old sods can get a reasonable looking bird. You young <deleted> are spoiling Pattaya and the birds here. The good looking ones are no longer interested in 50+ men and why???? because of these young tossers coming here thinking they are something special and spoiling it.

Well said jcb you hit the nail right on the head m8y, young buggers cant drink either and go around wanting to fight after a few beers, should be a minimum age limit on single men entering the kingdom say 45.

What stupid headline writers, they missed the whole point or the story: Thai Lady SURVIVES from 7 Floor Balcony Leap

where did these people learn journalism? I hope she recovers, sad...

The fact she hit branches on the way down pretty much explains why she survived to this point. She also likely landed flat and not feet, behind or obviously head first. The branches not only slowed her fall but likely spun her in a way to hit the ground evenly distributing the force across her body. People die from much much less heights but also survive higher ones. Lots of things come into play including how hard the ground is ... likely soft soil that was watered daily by the hotel.

Can't jump (excuse the pun) to conclusions. The full story must be heard before judgements can be made.

Although I will be very surprised if she actually did jump by choice. I doubt it, unless she was out of her brain on drugs or something ..... but I wonder if he was/is "in shock" because she's survived !??

Why????

Is it more believable her 'boyfriend' threw her off the balcony???!

I've read news reports of a few jilted thai girls that attemp suicide (mostly succesfully) after the boyfriend/husbands breaks it off with them.

We don't know the full story, but from personal experience I've had 2 exes threaten suicide on breaking up. I realise 'threatening to' and acutally doing it are 2 different things, but for me at least, I find it totally plausible.

Here's hoping she has a full recovery, and that the guy doesn't get stitched up.

i would say FAR more believable he threw her off. extremely egotistical peoples. thai suicide rates are very low...(1/3rd of the world rate) and just a guess that a lot of these deaths reported as suicides were actually murders

You must be joking,huge suicide rate in the sticks,just not reported as such.

But as I read there are eyewitnesses right, who saw that she jumped herself?

You might want to read again. If somebody saw her jump herself there would be no reason to detain and examine the boyfriend.

But I thought you said in reply #76 that they were just questioning him. Seems reasonable to detain someone for questioning if someone jumped off a balcony when you were present.

As for examining the boyfriend, well it takes all sorts I suppose. Not sure why they would need to examine him.

Posters need to remember that the police are not interested in rights and wrongs but how much cash can be squeezed from anyone involved. When a farang jumps/is pushed, they can rifle the room for valuables and take a large cut of anything the Thai beneficiary is left by putting the pressure on them out of the public eye through many methods. When a Thai jumps/is pushed, they need to hold the farang and threaten jail in order to force some kind of "bail" or "compensation" payment in which the police act as broker.

Detained does not mean arrested or that he was put in a cell or handcuffed. You are also "detained" when you are pulled over for a traffic stop. They simply are questioning him and investigating the incident at this point.

To detain a person in the legal sense is the same as to arrest someone.

To legally detain someone means the restraint of a person/s personal liberty against his or her will.

To arrest someone means to deprive the person of thier personal liberty by taking or keeping a person in custody, not necessarily in jaill.

If he has been detained by the police I would say he is under

arrest.

20 years as a serving police

officer.............. ;)

You might want to look up the word detain. It implies a short or temporary period, especially in a situation like this or involving the police when it is almost solely used to describe somebody being questioned or issued a citation. It is not the same meaning as the US Government's warped definition of a detainee. It is quite normal in a situation like this and in fact it would be VERY abnormal for the boyfriend not to be detained in any country given the fact he was there when she jumped .. not to mention they were fighting before she jumped.

You might want to look up the word detain. It implies a short or temporary period, especially in a situation like this or involving the police when it is almost solely used to describe somebody being questioned or issued a citation. It is not the same meaning as the US Government's warped definition of a detainee. It is quite normal in a situation like this and in fact it would be VERY abnormal for the boyfriend not to be detained in any country given the fact he was there when she jumped .. not to mention they were fighting before she jumped.

But in #104 you said someone saw her jump and there was therefore no need to detain him.

To legally detain someone means the restraint of a person/s personal liberty against his or her will.

To arrest someone means to deprive the person of thier personal liberty by taking or keeping a person in custody, not necessarily in jaill.

arrest.

officer.............. ;)

arrested and detained are two different things legally ... your 20 years as police officer has failed where a simple Google search will enlighten you. A police officer would never use the word detain if they arrested somebody and would never say they arrested somebody who was simply being detained.

Can't jump (excuse the pun) to conclusions. The full story must be heard before judgements can be made.

Although I will be very surprised if she actually did jump by choice. I doubt it, unless she was out of her brain on drugs or something ..... but I wonder if he was/is "in shock" because she's survived !??

Why????

Is it more believable her 'boyfriend' threw her off the balcony???!

I've read news reports of a few jilted thai girls that attemp suicide (mostly succesfully) after the boyfriend/husbands breaks it off with them.

We don't know the full story, but from personal experience I've had 2 exes threaten suicide on breaking up. I realise 'threatening to' and acutally doing it are 2 different things, but for me at least, I find it totally plausible.

Here's hoping she has a full recovery, and that the guy doesn't get stitched up.

Had a girl slice her wrists after i called off our relationship. Fortunately it was a dull knife and very little damage but the hospital refused to book her into Psyche ward. Even offered payment but they apparently did not see an issue.huh.gif

Incredible jump or pushed. not a lot survived in this height.

hope she survived to tell the truth.

Don't know if you'll get the truth. You may get her story. The seventh floor could be the truth but experience has shown that everything in LOS is an act. Those that think theirs are different eventually learn that theirs act different. There's a big difference.

arrest.

officer.............. ;)

arrested and detained are two different things legally ... your 20 years as police officer has failed where a simple Google search will enlighten you. A police officer would never use the word detain if they arrested somebody and would never say they arrested somebody who was simply being detained.

A detention is a lesser intrusion upon the individual's privacy than an arrest. But what actually is a detention? A detention, from the word "detain," is a limit on the person's freedom by temporarily preventing his leaving. How much can you "limit" someone before you detain her? Where is the "bright line"? That line that once you cross over it, you have in fact detained someone? Good legal question. There is no definitive answer.

If a policeman walks up to you on the street and asks, "May I ask you a few questions?", have you been detained? The courts do not all agree on this one. All depends on the circumstances. In one federal case a judge argued in a dissenting opinion that any person of color approached by any white policeman would not feel free to say "no," and would, consequently, be "detained." Generally, the argument is that if you consider that a detention, then you take from the policeman the right of any citizen to ask a simple question of a stranger.

Consider the importance of the social context to this question. Suppose a man in a dark blue suit walks up to you and asks, "May I ask you a few questions?" in the airport at the site of a plane that has just arrived from Colombia. Are you detained? Do you feel that you can say "no," and walk away? Kind of depends on who you are, doesn't it? So this is a tough question where you have to consider the entire context. Technically, it's a detention if your freedom to walk away has been curtailed.

But in #104 you said someone saw her jump and there was therefore no need to detain him.

uhhh .. no I didn't. It was a one sentence post and not sure how you are misunderstanding it to this degree.

If somebody credible saw her jump and even if clearly it was under her own free will then police would still detain (he would not be free to leave) him for questioning but it would almost certainly happen at the hotel or at a later scheduled time after he went to the hospital with his girlfriend. The post you mention was simply to correct the poster that the story doesn't say anybody saw her jump of her own free will.