Gf Wants To See Snow

stevehaigh

Perhaps ski resport in OZ (but not this time of the year)?

Sapporo snow festival in Hokkaido, Japan seems to be a popular winter tourist destination for many Thais. There seems to be many winter tour to Japan for this event organized by Thai travel agents. You can also see the drift ice in Hokkaido.

You want a really cheap place that you can goto in a day and then leave?

Mmmmm not sure i should say :o

Ok go to dream World, they have indoor snow there :D Nice and cheap, about 400 baht per person and you dont even have to leave Thailand :D

Edited by daleyboy

where is a good, cheap desitination with guarenteed snow that is a reasonable inexpensive trip from BKK. maybe Korea? don't know, any ideas? any time of year ok, totally flexible.

Nepal would normally be your first choice, but it might not be 100% safe right now. Japan is out, too hard for Thai girl to get a visa. And unless you're Australian you won't be able to guarantee her visa to Austraila, so that's out, too. Korea is visa-free for Thai people, but it's not cheap. I've heard that it's supposed to be easy to to get a visa for China. Sabah in Malaysian Borneo is easy, but sadly it's mountain never gets any snow.

Plan B is visiting Snow Town at DreamWorld.

Go to Dreamworld - somewhere between Bangkok and Chacheongsao. Its got an area where they have recreated a snow scene - you can go sledging, build snowmen, go in snowhouses - the lot. When you go in they give you wellies and a big warm jacket. Pretty good idea for Thailand I must say :o

I took a school trip there once and the kids were absolutely blown away - although not too many of them spent too long in there!

Nepal would normally be your first choice, but it might not be 100% safe right now. Japan is out, too hard for Thai girl to get a visa. And unless you're Australian you won't be able to guarantee her visa to Austraila, so that's out, too. Korea is visa-free for Thai people, but it's not cheap. I've heard that it's supposed to be easy to to get a visa for China. Sabah in Malaysian Borneo is easy, but sadly it's mountain never gets any snow.

Plan B is visiting Snow Town at DreamWorld.

going to see the himalayas (sp?) is the only remaining thing I need to do with my life before i come back as a slug or something, so Nepal is very high on my visit list. i agree about the danger factor however. what about tibet? how to get there reasonably fast and cost effective?

we did dream world already thanks. i got the gf and kids on the big roller coaster; fun for me, not so mush fun for them :o

going to see the himalayas (sp?) is the only remaining thing I need to do with my life before i come back as a slug or something, so Nepal is very high on my visit list. i agree about the danger factor however. what about tibet? how to get there reasonably fast and cost effective?

You can see snow in Nepal Himalaya but you probably won't be able to touch it unless you go high up on trekking trail which requires days of trekking, sleeping in tents and huts and acclimatization with the high altitude, which most Thai girls aren't opt to do, I suppose. Getting a visa to Japan shouldn't be too difficult if you go with a group of organized tour and let the travel agent apply for your GF.

isn't there snow on some of the peaks in Indonesia?

Dont think its easy to get to though.

I think you're referring to Mt. Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysian part of Borneo island. It's a 4,101 meters high mountain that would require a guide to climb. I think OP's GF will probably be more overjoyed about having climbed the mountain than having seen the snow if she has made the long, arduous climb to the summit.

I think you're referring to Mt. Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysian part of Borneo island.  It's a 4,101 meters high mountain that would require a guide to climb.

Mt. Kinabalu is snowless year-round.

I did a little more research and find Indonesian New Guinea has glaciers, which means snow, but I don't know when during the year it falls. The names are changing so it's a little hard to keep up.

Irian Jaya is Indonesian West New Guinea and has a few -- unless they're disappeared -- including one called Puncak Jaya / Carstensz. Delta indicates Thai people are visa-free to Indonesia, but only at certain ports and I don't see the one in Irian Jaya listed.

East New Guinea is Papua New Guinea. No glaciers. Delta indicates Thai people can get a visa on arrival.

isn't there snow on some of the peaks in Indonesia?

Dont think its easy to get to though.

I think you're referring to Mt. Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysian part of Borneo island. It's a 4,101 meters high mountain that would require a guide to climb. I think OP's GF will probably be more overjoyed about having climbed the mountain than having seen the snow if she has made the long, arduous climb to the summit.

What about a fast, comfortable helicopter ride?

BKK to Kunming, china is a $US348 on Thai Air, not too bad.

KunMing is south west china, Tibet is north west, but i think internal flights in china are quite cheep but can't seem to pull up any fairs.

i just found this link http://www.chinahighlights.com/news/2005_09_21_15.htm which clams that China Eastern Airlines runs flights but i can't find details.

maybe overland from kunming?

still looking.

Edited by stevehaigh

where is a good, cheap desitination with guarenteed snow that is a reasonable inexpensive trip from BKK. maybe Korea? don't know, any ideas? any time of year ok, totally flexible.

thanks

I guess buying a tour package for Korea is the best choice for you.

I've seen lots of ads on either "the nation" or "bangkok post" classified sections.

There are quite a few good deals.

If I'm correct one of the tour programes costs approx. 500$ per head(3/ 4days-including flight ticket-staying in ski resort)

I am personally trying to save the money for this trip for my gf. :o

just a thought-Jay

BKK to Kunming, china is a $US348 on Thai Air, not too bad.

KunMing is south west china, Tibet is north west, but i think internal flights in china are quite cheep but can't seem to pull up any fairs.

i just found this link http://www.chinahighlights.com/news/2005_09_21_15.htm which clams that China Eastern Airlines runs flights but i can't find details.

maybe overland from kunming?

still looking.

wow, does this sound cool or what!

http://www.seat61.com/China.htm#Lhasa%20&%20Tibet

Lhasa & Tibet: Railway now completed

Construction of the railway to Lhasa in Tibet has now been completed and rolling stock has been ordered, including some tourist-orientated cars with sleepers, restaurant and observation lounge. Direct trains will operate from Beijing, Shanghai and Xian to Lhasa, probably starting in late 2006 or early 2007.

The new railway is the highest in the world, much of it built on permafrost. Because of the lack of oxygen at that altitude, the passenger coaches will be pressurised.

Until passenger trains start running, you must take a train to Golmud then a 48 hour bus journey to Lhasa.

How about Harbin in Northern China, famous for their ice statues?

I too would suggest Harbin. I lived 5 years in China, and I can vouch for the beauty of this destination however it is incredibly cold (even for poor little Canadian me) , and you can't go right now to see the ice sculptures, you have to wait until January/February.

However for the best snow, you must head for the Canadian Rockies :D

I may be partial :o

but not cheap and don't know how easy it is to get the visa.

Fly to Kunming, China, 2 hrs. by air from Bangkok.  Then travel by overnight bus to Lijiang, west of Kunming.  Take a daytrip up Jade Dragon Mountain.  It is the start of the Himalayas.

really, that sounds cool (pun intended!). what's the snow season over there? i'll do a google on it anyhow but thanks for the tip.

OK, just googled and it looks great

http://www.regenttour.com/chinaplanner/lzj...ights-snow.htm#

thanks again (harbin seems a bit cold and too far)

steve

Edited by stevehaigh