Japan Spec Golf Clubs

MZurf

Hi,

From my understanding, the asian spec clubs usually have different shafts. These shafts are usually softer flex and/or lighter and/or shorter, at least when talking about drivers. For example, an Asian spec Reg flex shaft is softer than Western spec Reg flex. And they even have SR stiff regular flex type, which they dont have in the West. For drivers, sometimes shaft length can be slightly shorter too. For your irons, not sure what specifically is different, but I would check the shafts on the clubs and you will probably find they are different than the shafts sold on the same clubs sold in the West. What clubs are you looking to buy? And do you know what shafts they have?

I just bought an Asian spec Ping G20 driver that had a different shaft (TFC330D) than sold in the West (TFC169D). Reg flex, but softer than the Western Regular. And I think it might be slightly shorter too, but that is what I wanted, since the shafts keep getting longer in the West, so manufacturers and golfers can say they hit it farther, but often at the cost of accuracy. So, I was looking for a driver shorter than 46", but now hard to find on new drivers. I also bought some irons in Asia, but the irons were the same spec as Western version.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. From what I have gathered by searching the internet I have found that the shafts are different in flex and length but not how they are different. I thought that the shafts might be longer to compensate for the smaller stature of Asians but you're saying they are shorter and the flex is softer. That's very useful information and will definitely lead to me buying European spec clubs.

BTW, what I'm planning to buy are Taylor Made Burner 2.0 irons. They seem to be getting good reviews and I'm comfortable with the brand since all my woods are Taylor Made.

I have tried hitting the TM Burner 2.0 clubs at a golf store and liked them. I think they are nice looking too, although I have heard some say the dark finish wears off in spots, if that is any concern.

I saw below specs on TM asia website, although looks like these look like the earlier Burner irons and not the 2.0, but gives you an idea of the difference between the global spec and asian spec.

You can see the irons look to be about 1/4 inch shorter in the steel shafts on the asian spec, but only on the non-wedges. Some have slightly different loft and swing weight.

If you decide to buy them, good luck.

Burner® Irons Specifications (Global / Asian)IronLeft HandedLoftLieOffsetGraphiteFlexGraphite SWSteelFlexSteel SWGripGrip Weight3 / NoYes / No19°60.25°6.5mm39.5"S,RD2.539.5"S,RD3.5Arrow 2 58R47g4Yes21°61.0°/60°6.1mm38.875"S,R,M / S,RD2.5/D238.875"/38.625"S,RD3.5/D2Arrow 2 58R / C500 Red Cap 60R47g / 47.5g5Yes24°61.75°/60.75°5.7mm38.25"S,R,M / S,RD2.5/D238.25"/38.0"S,RD3.5/D26Yes27°62.5°/61.5°5.3mm37.625"S,R,M / S,RD2.5/D237.625"/37.375"S,RD3.5/D27Yes31°63°/62°4.6mm37.00"S,R,M / S,RD2.5/D237.0"/36.75"S,RD3.5/D28Yes35°63.5°/62.5°3.7mm36.5"S,R,M / S,RD2.5/D236.5"/36.25"S,RD3.5/D29Yes40°64°/63°2.8mm36.0"S,R,M / S,RD2.5/D236.0"/35.75"S,RD3.5/D2PWYes45°64.5°/63.5°2.0mm35.5"/35.75"S,R,M / S,RD2.5/D435.5"/35.5"S,RD3.5/D4AWYes50°64.5°/63.5°1.5mm35.5"/35.75"S,R,M / S,RD2.5/D435.5"/35.5"S,RD3.5/D4SWYes55°64.5°/63.5°1.0mm35.25"/35.5"S,R,M / S,RD4/D535.25"/35.25"S,RD5/D5LW / NoNo / No60°64.5°1.0mm35.0"S,R,MD435.0"S,RD5Arrow 2 58R47gOverall Club Weight #5 Iron Graphite Shaft: NA / 369gGraphite Shaft: RE*AX SuperFast 65 (65g, Parallel tip .370), Torque 3.0°/RE*AX (60g, Parallel tip .370), Torque 3.3°Overall Club Weight #5 Iron Steel Shaft: NA / 400gSteel Shaft: Burner SuperFast 85 (85g, Parallel tip .370), Torque 1.7°/N.S. Pro 950 GH (95g, Parallel tip .370), Torque 2.0°

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

Just having a look at the site, hopefully not too late to assist with your question

Japanese/asian spec club have different lie angles. they tend to be more upright. Depending on what the clubs are made out of they may not be able to be bent into a lie angle that is suitable for you. If someone tries to bend the lie angle the club head may break. Pings cannot have lie angles bent, they have to be made at the specific lie angle required. Clubs that are forged and not cast are generally a softer metal and these can be bent. So you can buy a Japanese spec club and have the lie angles adjusted if the club is made out of a suitable material.

To check your lie angle you need some masking tape and a black rubber mat. Some pro shops actually have a lie angle mat. You tape up the sole of the club and then go hit some balls off the mat. The mat will mark the sole. The black mark needs to be on the middle of the sole. If the mark is close to the heel or toe of the club then you need to have the lie angle adjusted.

THE LIE ANGLE IS NOT ASCERTAINED FROM YOUR SET UP. The lie angle at set up is nearly always different to the lie angle at impact. Normally the lie angle at impact will be slightly flatter at impact than set up.

As far as the shaft length goes - not really an issue as far as the asian/western specs - the big one is the club heads.

Hope that helps!

Mispent youth hanging around my course's proshop is what I base my info on.

I have just checked with my preferred golf shop in Pattaya and they say it's two months delivery time for a set of US spec TaylorMade Burner 2.0 irons!

Anyone want to sell a used set with the following spec:

S-A-P-9-8-7-6-5, steel shaft, regular flex.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just checked with my preferred golf shop in Pattaya and they say it's two months delivery time for a set of US spec TaylorMade Burner 2.0 irons!

Anyone want to sell a used set with the following spec:

S-A-P-9-8-7-6-5, steel shaft, regular flex.

Have you tried www.golf.com? I recently bought two custom fitted wedges from them and they arrived here within five days from the manufacturer in the US. With the postage and import duty included, I still saved myself about 30% on what they would have cost here.

FYI, if you're looking to order equipment, try http://www.tgw.com. It's an American online golf retailer that will ship abroad. Ordered a set of clubs for my then gf and TGW shipped them directly to her in Udon Thani in about 7 days. She only had to pay the delivery guy about 3,000 baht in customs duty. Only cost me apx $30 for shipping. No sales tax also. In the end got a full Wilson starter set and bag to her for a lot less than if had bought it in TL.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Hi there

Just having a look at the site, hopefully not too late to assist with your question

Japanese/asian spec club have different lie angles. they tend to be more upright. Depending on what the clubs are made out of they may not be able to be bent into a lie angle that is suitable for you. If someone tries to bend the lie angle the club head may break. Pings cannot have lie angles bent, they have to be made at the specific lie angle required. Clubs that are forged and not cast are generally a softer metal and these can be bent. So you can buy a Japanese spec club and have the lie angles adjusted if the club is made out of a suitable material.

To check your lie angle you need some masking tape and a black rubber mat. Some pro shops actually have a lie angle mat. You tape up the sole of the club and then go hit some balls off the mat. The mat will mark the sole. The black mark needs to be on the middle of the sole. If the mark is close to the heel or toe of the club then you need to have the lie angle adjusted.

THE LIE ANGLE IS NOT ASCERTAINED FROM YOUR SET UP. The lie angle at set up is nearly always different to the lie angle at impact. Normally the lie angle at impact will be slightly flatter at impact than set up.

As far as the shaft length goes - not really an issue as far as the asian/western specs - the big one is the club heads.

Hope that helps!

Mispent youth hanging around my course's proshop is what I base my info on.

Just a few comments on the above.

Ping irons CAN be bent. However, without the proper equipment there's a chance you'll damage the club or weaken the material. Interestingly, the newer the club (cast), the easier to bend. The official PING position is that you have to send the club to PING (or a certified PING service center) for adjustment. But YES, they can be bent.

On the Japan spec golf club:

There are a couple of known differences. Drivers tend to have longer and soft flex shafts (some Japanese drivers have +46" shafts). The shafts are also typically lighter. You won't see a lot of Dynamic Gold 300-series or ProjectX shafts sold in Japan. Lighter shafts such as Nippon are more or less standard shafts in Japan spec irons. Finally, the club heads are lighter. I'd say on average 5-10g lighter. This is all to compensate for the physiological differences, Asian people are smaller and physically weaker.