What Bike To Hire ?

cornishcarlos

Hi,

Please could I have some experienced advise on what bike to hire for a road trip up North.

I usually ride a Honda Wave around the race track that is Phuket and have only ever ridden up to 250cc trail bikes in U.K, not to say that I wouldn't be comfortable on something larger just giving you my riding history :)

We will be flying up from Phuket to CNX on 14th Dec and staying for a week. Looking to travel out of CNX for at least 3-4 days as far as Pai and Chiang Rai. Where to hire a safe bike and which model would be good for 2 people, max 4-5 hrs riding a day but probably 2-3 hrs.

All suggestions gratefully accepted and digested..

Many thanks in advance

jap.gif

Just a thought but would a new Honda Wave be capable of the CM-Mae Taeng-Pai-MHS-Mae Sariang-Hot-CM loop ??

2 small people and a little back pack :) 120kg max...

I would think capable, but not so comfortable, steed, phantom, er6n, cb400 would be more comfortable for the few extra baht it would cost, last time i rode up there was on a fatboy, very nice for around the hills.

Just a thought but would a new Honda Wave be capable of the CM-Mae Taeng-Pai-MHS-Mae Sariang-Hot-CM loop ??

Are you 17, if so you'll have a blast riding like so.

Are you 71, if so you might hate it or you might have a blast.

Here we rode the entire Mae Hong Son loop on scooters, in one day, and I think the only person whom didn't complain about there backside was the seventy year old - though he is a die hard motorcyclist.

If Carlos is comfortable on a 250, he should rent a 250.......

I did the loop on an ER6-n and can only recommend it. Loved it from the start to the end. Did about 6hours a day and was really comfortable. I paid 1.200Baht a day for rental...can't remember the name of the shop, though.

ER6-n, no doubt.

I'd recommend something like a cb400 as an easy bike 2-up. Enough power for your experience. I reckon the ER6n is a bit ahead of you. Maybe a touring twin like a steed but the cb is a solid all-rounder and can even bump over the dirt a bit.

Go into a rental shop there and sit on a few bikes with your pillion. No fun if you're not both comfortable. Check tyres/ lights/ horn/ brake fluid/ oil/ etc yourself. Take it for a ride around the moat solo before you head off.

Bring your own helmets if you have.

Fantastic riding up there. I'm jealous.

Have a ball and be safe.

Edited by andrew55

I've done the loop on a 250 Ninja and also on my Versys which I traded the Ninja in for.

The ride was far easier on the Versys. I did not have much experience at all before the Ninja, literally a few months so don't be too put off by the engine size.

I would recommend any thing like a versys, ER6n, but have to agree if you're not too confident about a 650 then the CB400 is a good option.

I'm not convinced over renting a cruiser style bike from you mentioning the type of bikes you have ridden before. Although the Steed & Phantom will get you there without problem and in relative comfort I think the riding position may feel a little awkward at first for you.

That said, don't discount these options.

As said Mr. Mechanic have many bikes and Mr. Pop also has many many bikes as well.

If your short get the ER6n, if your tall the Versys, If you want to save money the CBR 250,Ninja 250 or D-Tracker. (7-800 day)

If your really on a budget the older CBR 150. (400 day)...If you want to be aggravated the Wave.

I say go for the Versys. I have a Ninja 650 and its OK for 2up touring but i test drove the Versys recently and am really considering one in the near future. Your wife/girlfriend will thank you. On the Ninja my GF can't really see forward as I am 6'5" and she 5'4" but the Versys rear seat is much higher in relation to the front than the Ninja and I assume you are wanting to enjoy the view. Also since the passenger tends to slide forward under braking on the Ninja whereas i assume not so much on the Versys, your balls with thank you after a few hours riding the twisties.

I'd go for a Versys or ER6N. If the Versys is too tall then the ER6N, plenty of power for 2up but not too much so that you can't handle it and with the added bonus of ABS as well. Mr Mechanic would be a good choice in the old town.

Edited by skybluestu

GSXR1000 or a ZX10R ( if you can find one ).

Don't worry about safe riding. No-one else does.

Please advise where you can rent any of these in CM?

I'm off on a visa run next week, I'll leave the Versys at home and rent one of these babies if they are available cheesy.gif

Are you 17, if so you'll have a blast riding like so.

Are you 71, if so you might hate it or you might have a blast.

Here we rode the entire Mae Hong Son loop on scooters, in one day, and I think the only person whom didn't complain about there backside was the seventy year old - though he is a die hard motorcyclist.

If Carlos is comfortable on a 250, he should rent a 250.......

I agree. If you want to do some *riding*, get a Versys. But the OP sounds more like they want to take it slow and just travel around the loop. So why not rent a PCX and do a comfortable, slow, loop?

Anything can get you around the MHS loop although smaller than 125cc is going to be really slow uphill + 2 up. 125 is still not going to break any records but if you're planning on 2-3 hours per day, hey, why not.

A D-Tracker 250 would be another choice. The bike is perfect for the mountains - the problem is the seat is *really* uncomfortable. Not good for 2 up.

There's groups on scooters all the time passing through Pai so clearly it can be done. There's even groups with those old classic Honda scooters (C70?)... and groups on KSRs..