Thai King Birthday Pardon Excludes Thaksin: Official

Lite Beer

I just want to know if Anpon Tangnoppakul, An Kong or Uncle SMS received a pardon of his 20 year sentence for 4 SMS messages (supposedly)sent to Former Prime Minister Abhisit's personal secretary

This poor old man, who is suffering from cancer, can't even get bail since his case is deemed to be a sensitive one concerning " national security "

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that the PM has it within her power to simply direct (via her chain-of-command - she wouldn't have to appear to do it personally) that TS NOT be arrested if and when he returns to Thailand (thus the reason for his passport). As long as she is PM, I don't think he stands much chance of being arrested. That whole scenario might raise a lot of hell, but even without the pardon, I don't think he necessarily faces arrest despite his standing convicted status. As with any legal question, there are always two sides to any dispute. And I'm sure it's not beyond the current govt's capability to formulate some legal theory that allows him to remain free (perhaps pending some sort of appeal or technical review).

'Could be some interesting times ahead...

The Prime Minister is not above the law; no government official has the authority to overrule a judicial conviction and arrest warrant. Only the king has the power to grant amnesty.

Secondly, one of the fundamental prerequisites for issuance of a Thai passport is that the applicant must not have prior convictions. Thaksin was convicted of corruption (a serious crime), sentenced to two years in jail, and the arrest warrant for that conviction is still in full force and effect. Additional arrest warrants for Thaksin are also still in effect on other charges. Therefore, under the rule of Thai law, he is not entitled to a Thai passport, and any issuance of a passport by a government official would be a further violation of the law, thereby subjecting that person (presumably the Thai minister of foreign affairs) to charges of negligence, treason, corruption, collusion, conspiracy, as well as aiding and abetting a known fugitive felon.

Yes, this is all true, in most modern countries, but this is Thailand, and they seem to do pretty much any thing they want to no matter how stupid or illegal it my be to the worlds courts.

See this new thread:

Apparently some legislators are reading Thai Visa for advice on the Rule of Law.

Another Shinawatra with another Pardon request...

The Prime Minister's Office Spokesperson, Thitima Chaisaeng, said the premier will submit a letter to the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary requesting a royal pardon for the mistake.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1050487

The other paper is reporting today that Yingluck has fired her personal team over this issue.

:unsure:

From the News Feed

FACEBOOK

'Unfair' to blame Yingluck for error

The Nation

30171448-01_big.jpg

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra should not be attacked for the royal blunder on her Facebook page because she was not to blame and did not try to play it down, the government spokeswoman said yesterday.

"Critics have been unfair to Yingluck by distorting her remarks and actions to find fault with her," Thitima Chaisang said.

Yingluck was not shirking her responsibility as alleged because she fired her Facebook team for posting the wrong picture with her message expressing best wishes for His Majesty the King on his birthday, Thitima said.

On Saturday, Yingluck's Facebook page briefly showed a different person before it was corrected.

Yingluck immediately instructed PM's secretary-general Bandhoon Supakavanich to compose a formal apology and seek His Majesty's pardon via the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary, Thitima added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-08

From the News Feed

FACEBOOK

The Nation

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra should not be attacked for the royal blunder on her Facebook page because she was not to blame and did not try to play it down, the government spokeswoman said yesterday.

"Critics have been unfair to Yingluck by distorting her remarks and actions to find fault with her," Thitima Chaisang said.

Has anyone actually been blaming her for it? All I've seen are reports that she shouldn't be blamed. Certainly, the private PR company that she uses should be sacked for the stuff up.

I'm actually surprised that she didn't blame a hacker. It's worked before.

From the News Feed

FACEBOOK

The Nation

Has anyone actually been blaming her for it? All I've seen are reports that she shouldn't be blamed. Certainly, the private PR company that she uses should be sacked for the stuff up.

It seems that Zuckerberg is blaming her.

It also seems to have raised quite a lot of negative chatter about her on the local Thai boards. Probably people wanting to hold her responsible for the actions of her team... not unlike PTP trying to take Abhisit to the ICC.

It is, afterall, her account.

It also seems to have raised quite a lot of negative chatter about her on the local Thai boards. Probably people wanting to hold her responsible for the actions of her team... not unlike PTP trying to take Abhisit to the ICC.

It's her account. She must have posted it. That theory seems to work for phones and SMS's.

From the News Feed

FACEBOOK

The Nation

Come on bucholz - "seems Zuckerberg.....", "seems to have raised.....", "probably people wanting......"

Hardly your normal standard of analytical comment

I just want to know if Anpon Tangnoppakul, An Kong or Uncle SMS received a pardon of his 20 year sentence for 4 SMS messages (supposedly)sent to Former Prime Minister Abhisit's personal secretary

This poor old man, who is suffering from cancer, can't even get bail since his case is deemed to be a sensitive one concerning " national security "

No. His sentence is 20 years.

The out of jail free conidition is remaining terms of 3 years or less, plus the criminal name must NOT be Thaksin.