Can I Entre Thailand With A One-Way Air Ticket

I am planning to go to Thailand by air. Then go to Cambodia by bus, then Vietnam by bus and then back to China by bus. Therefore, I just have a one-way air ticket to Bangkok (without a round-trip ticket).

I am told that with just a one-way ticket to Thailand, Thailand customs would not allow me to enter Thailand. Is it true?

How I will go to Cambodia and Vietnam by bus. I would not like to waste money on a back ticket from Bangkok.

What can I do?

Thank you.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About half the times I return home to Thailand from work, I have only a one way ticket. I've never been refused boarding or entry into Thailand. (Even before I had my multi entry "O", and was just coming in on a tourist stamp.) Both on Thai Airways and Emirates. Never asked to show a return ticket. Never questioned by the airline/ticket counter or Thai Immigration Officer.

Might depend on nationality, behavior, etc. Who knows.

Round trip ticket, that is fully refundable? Open ended in case you use it in the future?

I flew to Thailand with emirates on a 7 month return ticket, and was asked to show my latest visa, i had a re-entry permit, so no problem. do not take a chance with a one way ticket, without either a visa or flight out within 30 days.

Edited by steve187

I flew to Thailand with emirates on a 7 month return ticket, and was asked to show my latest visa, i had a re-entry permit, so no problem. do not take a chance with a one way ticket and no visa or flight out within 30 days.

I agree why take the chance, in the end. Perhaps I am just lucky that every time I've flown out of New Delhi or Dubai I've never been asked for a return ticket.

I'd still suggest a fully refundable ticket. Don't use it, get your money back.

The onward travel etc is NOT an immigration requirement its an Airline thing as they will be heavily fined if you are found to be in Thailand after 30 days without the appropriate visa etc.and they carried you in. So, its all down to the airline and the staff on the day, there are plenty of threads here on both sides of the argument, some have been stopped, other have not, your choice but I wouldnt like to gamble and potentially ruin the trip before its even started.

If you do intend on staying more than 30 days then get a Tourist Visa to start with and you have no worries anywhere.

Edited by CharlieH

:D

Easy answer....get yourself a single-entry tourist visa from a Thai consulate in your home country before you leave.

Doing that will avoid any potential problems with the airline on your flight to Thailand.

A single entry tourist visa will be good for one entry to Thailand and will get you a mazimum of 60 days in Thailand. When you do leave Thailand that visa is canceled by your exit.

To make it clear...it is not Thailand that requires a out-of-country ticket on arrival...it is the airlines that often enforce that policy. This is because IF you came to Thailand on a one-way ticket, AND for some reason you were refused entry to Thailand (unlikely but possible); THEN the AIRLINE that brought you would be responsible for removing you from Thailand. To avoid that the AIRLINES may ask for a visa or exit ticket before they allow you to check in.

The airlines enforce this rule selectively. Those who dress well and look ike "businessmen" will often never be asked about a one way ticket.

Those who the airline thinks look like "back packers" may be asked for a visa or out-of-country ticket by the airline at check-in.

So to avoid all the possible problems the answer is to get that Thai visa BEFORE you depart your home country.

That avoids all the hassle.

:D

Thank all for your detailed reply. It is very kind of all of you.

To sum up, I have got the visa before I leave my country. So all the problems are sloved? Right?

I have asked the airline. The airline gives me a not very sure answer, they said they will not refuse me to land on the plane with a one way ticket and visa.

Edited by andrewyau

Flew in numerous times with a one-way ticket on and got my visa on entry - never a problem. I am not aware of changes in that regard.

There are no changes, it is just that some airlines don't check and immigration trust the airline to check it. You have just been lucky. Most major airlines will check and refuse you boarding, unless you are able to buy a ticket out of the country on the spot.

I have entered on a one way ticket sequence of the a month below(see below):

Manchester > Dubai

Dubai > Bangkok

Bangkok > Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai > Bangkok

Bangkok > Singapore

Singapore > Amsterdam (Schipol)

Amsterdam (Schipol) > Manchester

No problems at all, except for Amsterdam where they wanted to dismantle my laptop. You will be fine.

the airline has said to you if you get a visa they will let you land and it's upto thai immigration to let you through, you must have asked the wrong question to them,

the 30 day enter on arrival isn't a visa it's called a 30 day visa exempt entry, you need to find out from the airline if you'll be allowed to check in if you don't have a visa with just a one way ticket,

but whatever answer they give you just don't know on the day when you goto check in.

other choice is to just book a cheap air ticket with say air asia from bkk to KL or something with in the 30 days , with some air asia flights you can change all the details for about 20 pounds fee if you want to use the flight for something.

maybe you could try to check in at the airport first with your one way ticket and if they say no you need a flight out then goto a computer or if you have a laptop and book a cheapflight out of thailand to show the check in staff.

or just tell them your a traveller and leaving thailand before the 30 days , tell them your plans etc.

To sum up, I have got the visa before I leave my country. So all the problems are sloved? Right?

I have asked the airline. The airline gives me a not very sure answer, they said they will not refuse me to land on the plane with a one way ticket and visa.

here's a link for some routes :

http://www.seat61.com/Cambodia.htm

i'm sure there's plenty of other info. available too.

i flew from samui to phnom penn then bus to siam reap and another bus back to bkk all very easy to find, hotels and guest houses can help or there's many travel shops.

you may need to get a visa for vietnam ?

luang prabang area is a popular traveller destination .

the airline has said to you if you get a visa they will let you land and it's upto thai immigration to let you through, you must have asked the wrong question to them,

the 30 day enter on arrival isn't a visa it's called a 30 day visa exempt entry, you need to find out from the airline if you'll be allowed to check in if you don't have a visa with just a one way ticket,

but whatever answer they give you just don't know on the day when you goto check in.

other choice is to just book a cheap air ticket with say air asia from bkk to KL or something with in the 30 days , with some air asia flights you can change all the details for about 20 pounds fee if you want to use the flight for something.

maybe you could try to check in at the airport first with your one way ticket and if they say no you need a flight out then goto a computer or if you have a laptop and book a cheapflight out of thailand to show the check in staff.

or just tell them your a traveller and leaving thailand before the 30 days , tell them your plans etc.

I flew from the USA to BKK on a one way ticket without a problem 7 months ago...Drove to Pattaya and on to the Cambodia border...got a business visa (30 day) and on to Sihanoukville where, after 24 days paid $295.00 US for a 1 year business visa with multiple entry/exit...Renew it each year for $295.00 and you can live in Cambodia for as long as you like... I have flown into Thailand 7 times from Cambodia and never had a problem...I suppose by now they know me in Pnom Penh...My last trip a week ago to Thailand I was whisked me through the diplomatic line while they made everyone else go through the regular tourist line...In essence, the airline has no right to tell you how you will come or go or for how long...People drive, use the bus and what ever other means of travel....Good luck...:jap:

You can still buy a ticket out of Thailand, make it a first class fully refundable one, and cancel the flight when you are in Thailand.

Air Malaysia cheated me two years ago on a sunday morning on Frankfurt Airport on my way to Phuket. I am living since 12 years in Thailand and proved that by showing my passport and told them, Germans dont need a Visa for 30 days. I had to buy another ticket from them, otherwise they dont let me boarding.....NEVER someone asked me in Thailand on arrival for showing a leaving Thailand ticket... Thats pure money making of the airlines...anyway, you should at least print out a flight, easy to do on most airline pages. ;)

This is a hassle in many countries. As a constant traveller I often do not know where or when I want to move to my next destination. I like to take advantage of visa free periods where offered but the offset is that I need to keep one step ahead with the ongoing ticket.

I once considered a few weeks in Thailand and then taking the train down to Malaysia but did not want to have the problem with the ongoing air ticket, so ended up flying down to Penang where I can stay for 3 months (and they do not ask for an outward ticket). :)

I've ALWAYS been asked by the Korean Air ground staff in Chicago to show a visa before they will issue a boarding pass. My re-entry permit wasn't enough one time and they asked their supervisor to clarify. I would guess it depends on the airlines and the country you are leaving as to how serious the employee enforces their policies.

Well, yes, sort of. As many have pointed out it isn't the Thai Immigration officials that demand a return ticket, it's the airlines, and they can be a royal PITA about it. Why I say "sort of" is because some of the replies suggest that merely having the Tourist Visa in advance of your departure will make everything go smoothly. However, to make sure of that you should always have a return ticket with you and that return ticket should not be for a date later than the expiration date of your visa.

I had a major problem with United Airlines on my first trip here because I didn't have a visa and my return flight was for 3 months out. I planned to enter on the 30-day Visa on Arrival and visit Cambodia where I knew I could renew it. Consequently, I wasn't concerned about the date of my return flight. But United was. Experienced travelers know it's easy to get a new visa once in Thailand -- you just pop over to Myanmar or Cambodia -- but your explanations will fall on deaf ears. United made me pay an exorbitant $250 rebooking fee to adjust my return for less than 30 days. When I got to Thailand I immediately rebooked for my original date, but it cost me an additional $250. I'm still angry about that. Airline officials at the ticket counter explained that United would be fined heavily (as some other poster mentioned) if I was to enter Thailand "illegally" on their airline and that's why they were being so inflexible.

In my most recent experience this fall I had obtained a triple entry Tourist Visa but only a one way ticket on Korean Air because I will fly to Paris after leaving Thailand in April. Korean Air required me to have a ticket out or they would refuse to let me board. Lucky for me I had already purchased (and printed) my one-way ticket to Paris and could show it to the clerk.

The moral of the story: It's always best to have that exit ticket even if the Thai authorities don't check for it.

Air Malaysia cheated me two years ago on a sunday morning on Frankfurt Airport on my way to Phuket. I am living since 12 years in Thailand and proved that by showing my passport and told them, Germans dont need a Visa for 30 days. I had to buy another ticket from them, otherwise they dont let me boarding.....NEVER someone asked me in Thailand on arrival for showing a leaving Thailand ticket... Thats pure money making of the airlines...anyway, you should at least print out a flight, easy to do on most airline pages. ;)

They did *not* cheat you, they are just very strict with the regulations. I had to sign a form with them in 2006 that I would have to pay myself if rejected by Thai immigration or they would not let me board (and I was traveling upfront, btw).

In that case I had an e-ticket - on Malaysian as well, which the check in lady from Fraport didn't accept, saying it had to be a paper ticket. I said "print it then", she said "we can't here, only at the city office" - me: "that's not my problem". Finally, the signing of the form meant they let me board.

They are shown that everyone needs to have return ticket and they are very strict. I also had an issue with KLM in Barcelona once. They are all shitting their pants that they will be made to pay a big fine if you are rejected. And let's face it, the Thai's might just wake up one day and decide to really enforce this rule, ya never know... I was just incensed that my e-ticket - in this age of paperless tickets was not accepted.

Edited by mrdome

The requirement to have a visa OR proof of leaving the county within 30 days is from the Thai government, who genrally leave checking the requiremetn by the airlines. If an airline is caught taking a passenger who doesn't meet the requiremetns the airline must take the passenger back to the point of origin and pay a fine.

Some years back I tried a O/W tix from Canada to BKK and was refused boarding at departure because I didn't have a proper Visa. They said to let me go and then have me stopped by immigration in BKK could cost the airline a $20,000 fine for not paying attention to the passenger visa status.

Now 8-years later I travel once a year in the same direction on a one/way tix,BUT with my Thai-wife ,daughter AND a family visa... I still have been questioned in Vancouver at departure by China Air,JAL,Korean.

The chances of immigration asking you for an onward tix in BKK is remote. From my experience it has been an issue of getting on rather than getting off the airplane. You can pay your money and take your chances - "up to you" smile.gif

90% of the time I am on a one way, never had a problem, even before I had a visa. But if you can make the time, get a visa, it would be a loos if you were unlucky.

The laws are saying that you need a return ticket. Yes, they could let you in, but what if not? I've traveled to Thailand two times on a single ticket, but having my marriage certificate and work permit.

Answer is: you should have a return ticket, as it is the ticketing company's fault if they do not let you in. Good luck! jap.gif

I'm not sure I understand. Do you have a visa that has allowed you to live in Thailand for the last 12 years and onwards? If this is the case you were cheated.

I am confused that you then mention that German's don't need a visa for 30 days - visa exempt I assume. If you are entering on visa -exempt assumption then they were entitled to ask for onward ticket. If this is the case you were not cheated. However, you shouldn't have needed to buy it from them. Any carrier will do.

You will never be asked for this onward ticket on arrival but the carrier is entitled to ask for it at origin check-in.

How do you print out this hypothetical onward flight on an airline's page without paying and confirming? Mai koh jai again.

For the last 5 years or so I have based in Thailand but flown out of Suvarnabhumi and back at least a couple of times a month and often more, almost always with the ticket to BKK being the return leg. I rely on my visa exempt status as an Australian and have no visa. Staff at check-in are perfectly entitled to insist on viewing my BKK onward ticket that I don't usually have. As posted earlier they are responsible for getting you out again in the unlikely event that you are refused entry on arrival in Thailand

I have had a hiccup 5 times - once from Sydney, once from Amsterdam and three times from Changi. 3 times I was well dressed, showed that I had a bit of a wad of cash in my wallet, a credit card and all was ok. On the two occasions that this did not suffice I once succeeded by very politely asking to see the supervisor and signed a waiver to say that I would take responsibility for any costs if I was to be refused entry on arrival in LOS. Once all failed and I had to go to the nearest internet to purchase and print an onward flight. I don't check-in last minute in case of these hiccups.

I accept that I have perhaps been lucky. It certainly is a nicer feeling to have your onward ticket to show if asked.

Edited by andrew55