Building A House In Isaan

Siam_Sam

I have seen some very good posts here. I think it comes down to 2 things, Have a trusted builder like Alan the Builder build your house and not have to worry about if things are done correct or if corners are cut OR go with a builder where you need to be at the site everyday or every couple days to make sure things are done corectly (you will need some basic building skills). I had my house build 4 years ago (before I knew of Alan the Builder) so I was at my building site almost every day. I brought the workers food and drinks (non alcoholic) whenever I visited. My wife said they called me "jai dee" (good heart) and seem to get inspired to build us a great house. I think they went the extra mile in some cases especially the finish work. Excluding the land price I have 1.6 million baht invested which includes a western kitchen.

Here is a pic of our house in Korat. I am very happy with the finished product. The only thing I would have done different was put in aluminum windows instead of wood as the wood expands and needs to be planed form time to time in order to close correctly. Good luck on whichever way you decide to go.

rokit

IMGP0190.jpg

I have seen some very good posts here. I think it comes down to 2 things, Have a trusted builder like Alan the Builder build your house and not have to worry about if things are done correct or if corners are cut OR go with a builder where you need to be at the site everyday or every couple days to make sure things are done corectly (you will need some basic building skills). I had my house build 4 years ago (before I knew of Alan the Builder) so I was at my building site almost every day. I brought the workers food and drinks (non alcoholic) whenever I visited. My wife said they called me "jai dee" (good heart) and seem to get inspired to build us a great house. I think they went the extra mile in some cases especially the finish work. Excluding the land price I have 1.6 million baht invested which includes a western kitchen.

Here is a pic of our house in Korat. I am very happy with the finished product. The only thing I would have done different was put in aluminum windows instead of wood as the wood expands and needs to be planed form time to time in order to close correctly. Good luck on whichever way you decide to go.

rokit

IMGP0190.jpg

Nice house!

I agree on the window information, we decided on aluminum because I was familiar with the product (as well as PVC) and we wanted bigger sizes for better circulation and air flow throughout the house. Also the bug-eating problems with wood. We also treated our workers to soda-pop, water and ice in the mornings, and soda-pop, 2 beers and one small lao khao at the end of the day. We had six workers per day, seven days a week so it wasn't too much, nor was it a bad influence on them. They appreciated it a lot. We have had several other things done by the same guys on other projects we have needed and they are always willing and happy to help us. I wish I could have had crews like these guys on my jobs in the States!

OP I'll just throw this in, some members here have beautiful homes and have taken great pride in getting things done right. Now there are people like me who see a house as nothing but a place to sleep and I used the locals. They know how to put in the concrete posts put some concrete bricks in between and stick on a roof. A bit of paint and bobs your uncle, you have a house Cheap and functional maybe you will never be the envy of your neighbors., but it's a place to live and we live outside under a roofed area, only go in to sleep. Jim

.. and absolutely nothing wrong in that approach.

I know several people who have built for less than 800k and have houses that suit their lifestyles.

I have also seen 5m spent on house that look awful and look out of place in Thailand.

Busy doing one in excess of 14m...sure it won't look out of place...

Each to their own..i guess.

OP I'll just throw this in, some members here have beautiful homes and have taken great pride in getting things done right. Now there are people like me who see a house as nothing but a place to sleep and I used the locals. They know how to put in the concrete posts put some concrete bricks in between and stick on a roof. A bit of paint and bobs your uncle, you have a house Cheap and functional maybe you will never be the envy of your neighbors., but it's a place to live and we live outside under a roofed area, only go in to sleep. Jim

I know several people who have built for less than 800k and have houses that suit their lifestyles.

I have also seen 5m spent on house that look awful and look out of place in Thailand.

I am sure that you think you are right.

I bet it's not in a village

rokit

IMGP0190.jpg

It looks very much like the sort of places near where I lived in Pattaya. See them all over Thailand on estates. Did you have it built to your own spec. or was it off-plan? 1.6 mill sounds like a bargain. That sort of house in Patts would go for several times that price.

rokit

IMGP0190.jpg

It looks very much like the sort of places near where I lived in Pattaya. See them all over Thailand on estates. Did you have it built to your own spec. or was it off-plan? 1.6 mill sounds like a bargain. That sort of house in Patts would go for several times that price.

Simon,

The house was built off a standard plan but I made modifications to the plan so they actually built it to my specs. And yes that house would cost many times more in Pattaya. I use to live in Pattaya and got fed up with all the overpricing there. Just love living in Issan.

I am sure that you think you are right.

It is....must add it's not mine, we are just building it..

Interesting I am sure it will be a magnificent building.

I have no knowledge of where you are building but my initial thoughts are that a 14m pad in a village could look totally out of place - as I said, I have seen properties at less than half that cost that look like carbunkles on the village landscape.

Each to their own - Good Luck with the build.

I have no knowledge of where you are building but my initial thoughts are that a 14m pad in a village could look totally out of place - as I said, I have seen properties at less than half that cost that look like carbunkles on the village landscape.

Cheers....It'll take approx 1 year...but is only single story, on 3 rai...with mountain views...

Cheers....It'll take approx 1 year...but is only single story, on 3 rai...with mountain views...

Nice - perhaps you can post some pictures later.

Nice - perhaps you can post some pictures later.

Will do mate, keeping a record of everything that happens, and every stage of construction...

Nearly finished the guest accomodation, and large carport, swimming pool in nearly dug, and large gazebo is half done..

Main house is well underway...

This subject, and your circumstances, are too complicated to be dealt with on an internet forum.

That said, you can find all the information you need on Thai Visa in the house building section.

BUT - you need to be here and you need to have enough knowledge and experience to understand the competence (or otherwise) of the builder, where to buy, what to buy, when to buy etc, etc.

I was going to 'manage' my house build next year. I quickly determined that I have neither the time nor skill to do so.

I decided that for circa 300,000 Baht more, I would engage Alan the Builder because not only would I risk that 300k - it could cost a lot more rectifying work that has been done incorrectly - if indeed I was capable of spotting the mistakes !

My missus quickly realised that it is far easier for me to communicate Farang to Farang rather than me try and communicate through her with a Thai builder.

As a consequence of my decision I do have a very thick book which is a product library for all Thai materials - yours for a nominal sum.

Oh, have you considered usufruct or lease on the land. Isaan Lawyers can help there.

You will also be paying double or triple more for using that guy but if your Happy with that then thats your buisness.

I also agree with jim... My house will be costing nomore than 1.2 million could easily be 3 mil if i wanted but 1.2 mill is enough in the village ill be living in

This subject, and your circumstances, are too complicated to be dealt with on an internet forum.

That said, you can find all the information you need on Thai Visa in the house building section.

BUT - you need to be here and you need to have enough knowledge and experience to understand the competence (or otherwise) of the builder, where to buy, what to buy, when to buy etc, etc.

I was going to 'manage' my house build next year. I quickly determined that I have neither the time nor skill to do so.

I decided that for circa 300,000 Baht more, I would engage Alan the Builder because not only would I risk that 300k - it could cost a lot more rectifying work that has been done incorrectly - if indeed I was capable of spotting the mistakes !

My missus quickly realised that it is far easier for me to communicate Farang to Farang rather than me try and communicate through her with a Thai builder.

As a consequence of my decision I do have a very thick book which is a product library for all Thai materials - yours for a nominal sum.

Oh, have you considered usufruct or lease on the land. Isaan Lawyers can help there.

You will also be paying double or triple more for using that guy but if your Happy with that then thats your buisness.

Yet you choose to respond, and then close with "that's your business"

Somewhat impossible when material costs represent 70% - 75% of the overall cost. I calculate that I will be paying 50% more for 'labour' by not using a Thai builder. In my case, that is a price worth paying.

I also agree with jim... My house will be costing nomore than 1.2 million could easily be 3 mil if i wanted but 1.2 mill is enough in the village ill be living in

A house can be a mansion or a hut, but a home is a home. I suspect that must of us called home something a lot less than a mansion. Jim

^^^^^^ utter crap.

I will make it clear so there is no misunderstanding, the guy is not a friend of mine, and I have no reason to promote his business.

I was sat in a bar in Surin while the locals badmouthed this guy, what they failed to mention was either, a, they couldnt afford the finished product the guy delivers, b, they were suckered into building a house using their wifes family and by God it shows in the finished product, or c they bought some crappy 100+ s/m rabbit hutch for less than 1.5 million.

I have seen ATB finished product and he is certainly no more expensive than any of the MAJOR housebuilders here in Thailand, in some cases cheaper.

Petty jealousy on the most part from sad losers who hate to see a guy make a go of it, best of luck to him.

Please give examples of houses that have been built to the same spec that can be built for a third cheaper, because I and others would sure like to know.

^^^^^^ utter crap.

I will make it clear so there is no misunderstanding, the guy is not a friend of mine, and I have no reason to promote his business.

I was sat in a bar in Surin while the locals badmouthed this guy, what they failed to mention was either, a, they couldnt afford the finished product the guy delivers, b, they were suckered into building a house using their wifes family and by God it shows in the finished product, or c they bought some crappy 100+ s/m rabbit hutch for less than 1.5 million.

I have seen ATB finished product and he is certainly no more expensive than any of the MAJOR housebuilders here in Thailand, in some cases cheaper.

Petty jealousy on the most part from sad losers who hate to see a guy make a go of it, best of luck to him.

Please give examples of houses that have been built to the same spec that can be built for a third cheaper, because I and others would sure like to know.

Echo your sentiments exactly mate..

We recently finished building a house 20 motorbike minutes SE of sakon nakhon. It's 3 bed - 2 bath tri-level and the cost was 400 K. for labor and we purchased all materials. I was present the first month of construction and my lady was in charge the next 5 months. So, a little over 6 mos. to build. She did what I believe to have been an excellent job purchasing quality materials for the best price. Total cost was 2 Mil. plus another 200K + for the first party at start of construction and the final good luck party when we moved in.

Prices on materials go up constantly and I'm sure now one year later it would cost another 10% at least.

If you pay one price to have house built you run into the problem of lesser quality materials being used such as the re-bar, cement, bricks and steel for trusses. Not to mention roof tile, floor tile, molding, windows, light fixtures etc..........

Not a large house by western standards but in the village it's not the norm. But we're at the end of the small soi with good privacy.

Life is good......................