King Sized Sheets

beb

I'm moving into a place with a king sized bed and need to buy sheets. I know the big box stores have them but does anybody have a suggestion for any of the local markets for such stuff?Thanks!

Good quality sheets are very expensive in Thailand and I wish I'd know this before I came. The department stores, Central and Robinsons, have a reasonable selection of high-priced stuff.

The real challenge is in finding top sheets -- flat sheets. I found them at at shop on Chang Moi Rd., on the right side as you travel from the old city toward the river/Warorot. It's a shop that sells mattresses and beds, on a corner. It's a big place, you can't miss it. They had a good selection at a reasonable price, but not good quality. Still, it's better than sleeping directly under the bed cover.

I found the best selection of fitted bottom sheets, flat top sheets, pillow cases, etc at Siam Paragon in Bangkok. They delivered the sheets and towels I bought directly to my hotel. Not cheap, but they last forever since we wash clothes in cold water here and don't beat 'em to death in a dryer.

There is a fabric shop at Warorot market in the large building -- the one furtherst from the river -- and the shop is located directly across the street from the main door of the Chinese Temple which has good 100 per cent cotton, and they will make the sheets to order. You tell them what size you want, and what depth of pockets, and in two or three days the sheets will be ready.

I have had a couple of sets that have lasted me a couple of years, and they are still in great condition. They even made me a flat sheet, and a duvet cover from the same material. I think that the sheet sets complete with four pillow cases, fitted sheet and flat sheet cost about 1200 baht.

The lady owner speaks perfect English and is eager to help.

There's a street seller behind Lotus at the very large open air market nursery. They use to be at the Arcade bus station entrance.

Sheets are freaking expensive here for some weird reason, may be better off just going to a fabric store and tying the corners in a knot.

Edited by KRS1

hi ,in Hang -dong soye 4 or 5 (i have some wer is adresse ) you have one boutique who sell good staff for hotel and private ,doble bed ,king size single ,big pilow like dice from the hotel,nice 100%coton withe ,and colored big choce for resonable price,i dont now if dice can help .....if you need the adresse i can look for jap.gif bye

hi ,in Hang -dong soye 4 or 5 (i have some wer is adresse ) you have one boutique who sell good staff for hotel and private ,doble bed ,king size single ,big pilow like dice from the hotel,nice 100%coton withe ,and colored big choce for resonable price,i dont now if dice can help .....if you need the adresse i can look for jap.gif bye

So it sounds like the sheet sets at Tesco do not include the top sheet. That's a bummer.

Thanks to everybody for the replies. And yes, if you can provide the address for the place in Hang-dong, that would be great.

Thanks a lot.

bb

For some reason the standard sheet sets here don't include a flat top sheet. They usually have covers for bolster pillows, though, which seems much less necessary than a top sheet. Often they do have a duvet cover and that duvet cover can be used as a top sheet, but it's more difficult to launder than a standard flat sheet. Mostly we just use the duvet cover like a blanket, putting it above the flat sheet. Blankets can also be difficult to find here and usually the lighter covering of an empty duvet cover is all you need.

Flat sheets are sold separately at that shop on Chang Moi Rd or, as mentioned, it's fairly easy to have them made. The flat sheets sold at Siam Paragon in Bangkok are beautiful -- they don't come with the sets, though.

I didn't realize how expensive sheets sets are here or that the king-size beds in Thailand are the same size as in the U.S. Had I know this, I would have visited the local Bed, Bath and Beyond before departing for Thailand.

Stick with Robinson or Central and pay the high price. Anything else will fall apart in less than a year. (I don't know about the place Marco is talking about but it sounds good too). The best quality sheets I have ever seen in Thailand were at a hotel in Koh Chang. We asked the owner where she got them and she said she bought them in Europe.

NancyL I guess you haven't been in too many Thai's bedrooms...they all have those bolster pillows all over the beds. The girls hug them like stuffed animals (when they are sleeping alone). :lol:

marcofrenchpolo, I looked for, but could not find Hang-dong street but a town south of Chiang Mai. Is the area you are talking about in that place south of Chiang Mai?

Thanks

I didn't realize ... that the king-size beds in Thailand are the same size as in the U.S.

They're not.

And all of the comments re: the top sheet are right on, and it's actually a feature that makes bedding even more expensive here. I foolishly bought a duvet for the duvet cover that came with my very expensive bedding set from Robinson's. Very nice, high thread count, and I'm very happy. For the first ten minutes or so. Then I realize I'm broiling under this huge duvet that is more in place in the Antarctic than here in Thailand. So of course I turn up the AC. Doh.

Didn't know the king sheets are a different size here. Will definitely measure if I ever ask someone to bring them from the U.S.

Our first place here came with a king mattress, pillows (including a couple bolsters) and a duvet. The sheets were really bad, so I bought a set at Central. The maid had to show me how the duvet cover worked and didn't understand when I asked "where is the top sheet". After the first night, we liberated the duvet from the new duvet cover and used it as a top sheet. Never used the duvet again and it was a pain to store because it was so big.

Glad to move out of that place and leave the duvet behind.

I must admit however, that we do use the bolster pillows, but not in the way elektrified suggested. I have them at the foot of the bed to keep the covers off our feet. The cat likes to hide under the covers and sleep against the bolster pillows during the day. He stayed with friends and they said he calmed down a lot once I emailed them the suggestion to put the bolster pillows at the foot of their bed.

Didn't know the king sheets are a different size here. Will definitely measure if I ever ask someone to bring them from the U.S.

Our first place here came with a king mattress, pillows (including a couple bolsters) and a duvet. The sheets were really bad, so I bought a set at Central. The maid had to show me how the duvet cover worked and didn't understand when I asked "where is the top sheet". After the first night, we liberated the duvet from the new duvet cover and used it as a top sheet. Never used the duvet again and it was a pain to store because it was so big.

I must admit however, that we do use the bolster pillows, but not in the way elektrified suggested. I have them at the foot of the bed to keep the covers off our feet. The cat likes to hide under the covers and sleep against the bolster pillows during the day. He stayed with friends and they said he calmed down a lot once I emailed them the suggestion to put the bolster pillows at the foot of their bed.

I guess I am being naive and coming from Korea, which also doesn't use top sheets, I shouldn't be so surprised. But surely there is a supplier for local hotels that have the standard fitted and flat sheet sets. In Korea I found a fabric shop that had flat sheets of fabric they'd hemmed and they worked fine. I'm not looking for an 2000 thread count of the finest egyptian cotton, just something between me and the other stuff.

If you turn left outside moat at Sipoom Corner and head north there is a large open fronted shop, left side that has very large sheets.

I have had two for over 3 years now and they alternate weekly on my bed, not expensive.

john

I doubt Nancy has been married to a Thai Lady.

Mine hugged her Bolster more then me.

We brought sheets over from the US for our Queen and King sized beds. The sheets for both are about 2-3 inches bigger than our Thai bed. Some of that extra space is taken up by the foam padding we brought over too since Thai mattresses are so hard.

And please don't ask me in which direction the sheets are bigger. I haven't changed the sheets in years. The housekeeper does that. It's a luxury I never had in the US.

Bought a Queen size flat top sheet from the shop on the corner along Chang Moi. It seems to be good quality material and well made. It's comfortable and doesn't look like it will disintegrate in the wash. 650 for 100% cotton, white only. They've got colors for 550, but those ones aren't all cotton.

Ok, found the flat sheet at a shop on Chang Moi Road on the corner of the first street up from the moat. See attached picture. I had actually gone here before and the lady told me they didn't have flat sheets but a friend told me she'd bought them there and we went back and sure enough they have them on a shelf near the counter. 550 baht for one sheet. The color isn't the same as my fitted sheet but I'm hoping to pull it off as artistic license.

Hmm, so I tried for the first time to include a picture of the store but it tells me I am not allowed to upload and the media link thing breaks it. Anyway, here is a link to the pic of the store front. http://www.flickr.co...lix/6495962935/

edit:

Oops I see that somebody mentioned this same store right above me. Yeah, what they said.

Edited by beb
  • Like 1

1,500 Baht, for a pack of six king size items inc. 2 x pillow case, bolster etc. Tulip brand, I think. At Kong Kat Jo ( if that is correct spelling) Warrorot.

But does this set include a flat top sheet?

We've bought flat sheets, colored, from the Chang Moi shop and they've held up just fine. I didn't think they would, based on how they looked, so that's why I bought a couple others soon after the Chang Moi ones. The quality of the ones I got at Siam Paragon is much better, but the Chang Moi ones still haven't worn out after three years. I kind of wish they would so I could justify using the Siam Paragon ones that are still in their original packages.

Edited by NancyL

Just to add my two penneth (pre-decimal - tuppence).

Bolsters -

In common use throughout SE Asia, not just Thailand.

Use by both males and females of all ages. Many cannot sleep without a bolster to wrap themselves around.

Bolster covers included as standard in bedding sets.

BTW Bolsters are also known as "Dutch Wives" in England.

Top Sheets -

Not really used since the use of duvets became common.

When I bought bedding in the UK (many, many years ago) top sheets were definately not part of the set.

Would have had no use for it, anyway.

Here in Thailand use the duvet cover, only, most of the year;

with the duvet inside in the cold season - as now.

BTW - Called duvets in England and France, called donnas in Sweden and Australia.

Other countries names for them unknown - used to be called Continental Quilts in the UK.

No charge for the above knowledge, but no Ed-Visa either!

Edited by Ginkas

I got some sheet sets four years ago from a Thai company called Pla Too that are great colors and fit perfectly. Unfortunately it was the Farang girlfriend that picked them up - and I'm at a loss to find this company's shop to grab some new ones as she couldn't describe where they were located. I know it was in the Nimman area, but that's all I know.

I should note that the sets included 1 mattress sheet, 2 pillow covers, and 2 bolster covers, but no top sheet.

And clearly, the quality sheets have outlasted the fgf.....

Edited by realthaideal

I bought lots of white sheets from a small shop in the night market.. She supplies hotels and prices vary depending on the quality you choose. Fitted, flat, every size, pillow cases and large fluffy white towels which are rarer than hens teeth in Thailand! Shop is on same side as Burger King set back.

I bought lots of white sheets from a small shop in the night market.. She supplies hotels and prices vary depending on the quality you choose. Fitted, flat, every size, pillow cases and large fluffy white towels which are rarer than hens teeth in Thailand! Shop is on same side as Burger King set back.

Aha! That is the kind of place I was thinking about. I will go check them out although I've gotten a working set now.

Thanks!

Aha! That is the kind of place I was thinking about. I will go check them out although I've gotten a working set now.

Thanks!

Hey there. I went looking for this place this evening and couldn't find it near the BK (although I DID run into Her Majesty's motorcade, so there was some upside...). Walking back to where I'd parked my motorbike, ....voila!

Just to further clarify the location on this place... it's located on the small soi that runs along the south side of the Kalare center, on your left as you're walking east from Changklan. If you see Le Spice on your right, you've gone too far. It's called "Mr. Towel", and is a great little place, operated by an extremely friendly and helpful woman and her mother. They've got everything you're looking for, and I gather that they do custom stuff as well. I wouldn't exactly call her towels "fluffy", but they're better than most of the junk I've seen for sale here.

They're open 6-11, M-Sat , and they've got a website, although I'm not sure that I'm allowed to post commercial web addresses here?

By the way, Makro carries those "white on white" striped hotel-style 100% cotton sheets, both flat and fitted. Mr. Towel's got those as well, but she's got a few colors besides white.

Hope that helps!