Tortilla Chips Going More Mainstream In Thailand?

Was browsing the aisles at the Gourmet Market in Siam Paragon the other day, and noticed a huge display space in the snacks section for bags of house brand Home Fresh Mart regular and nacho-flavored tortilla chips, both on sale during the past week. I'd never seen that particular brand offering tortilla chips here before.

I've been used to buying and using Danitas brand tortilla chips here for a long time... but the stocks of those have been kind of sparse among my regular shopping haunts lately. Then all of a sudden, at Paragon, they've got 4 or 5 shelves of their Home Fresh Mart tortilla chips -- dozens and dozens of bags in total -- and then just few bags of Danitas relegated to the lowest shelf down at floor level.

The HFM 200g bags of regular tortilla chips were on sale, at least until yesterday, for 58b, regularly 72b. And the Nacho variety were on sale for 69b, regularly 85b. The sale prices for the Home Fresh Mart brand were better than the other familiar brands, but the regular HFM prices are about the same or a bit higher than their competition...

I haven't opened or tried any of the HFM brand tortilla chips as yet, but I did stock up on a few bags because finding such things lately has been and continues to be a bit of a hit and miss proposition. In any event, it's good to see such a product making a broader inroad into the local market.

post-58284-0-80550300-1323174107_thumb.j

post-58284-0-33309000-1323174110_thumb.j

I'm a Frito-Lays fan from way back...probably the early 1960's, and I can say that the Fresh Mart brand tastes real good to me. Being that I'm in Ubon, I have to travel to Korat (Nakorn Ratchasima) to get them at the Mall. At least now, Danitas brand and a new EL Sabor brand is now being stocked at Tesco. So yes, they are catching on. Now if we could just get some real Fritos, Doritos, and Tostitos, we'll be good to go...high price and all!

Edited by MOSAN

I opened a bag of the Nacho flavored Fresh mart chips for the first time today... Light in texture and not oily, which is good. But they were pretty bland and lacking in flavor.

I like Danitas' Nacho flavor much better. Somewhat thicker and a much stronger seasoning powder laid on.

But ya, I'm also seeing the El Sabor brand in a couple of different stores including Villa in BKK. Haven't tried them yet.

The two month shelf life of Danita's Tortilla's weirds me out and has put me off of all of their products. I think El Charro has better prodcuts in general, but it's certainly up to individual preference. (El Charro is also manufactured in Bangkok. Might not have nationwide distribution though)

I'm a Frito-Lays fan from way back...probably the early 1960's, and I can say that the Fresh Mart brand tastes real good to me. Being that I'm in Ubon, I have to travel to Korat (Nakorn Ratchasima) to get them at the Mall. At least now, Danitas brand and a new EL Sabor brand is now being stocked at Tesco. So yes, they are catching on. Now if we could just get some real Fritos, Doritos, and Tostitos, we'll be good to go...high price and all!

Villa Market in Bangkok had Doritos, Testitos, and Fitos in original and scoops, and also stocked up on Cheetos Puffs! Its a hit and miss thing, but I buy several bags when I find them! They also have the Frio Lays Japaleno cheddar cheese in the can, add El Sapo hot Picante and you have a great snack!

• 3 weeks later...

There is a tortilla chip that comes in a small plastic bag that is a beige mustard color that I think are TE best available in Thailand. I

Don't remember the name but the chips are very authentic in taste and appearance, they are small, thick and not overly salty. I generally eat them with homeade guac and pico. I love that most of the ingredients for Mexican food can easily be found pretty much at any Thai fresh market.

I have also noticed that more and more Mexican restaurants are popping up and when I go to try them out most of the diners are Thai which is a good sign.

in Hanoi not far from my accommodation in the Westlake area there was a tiny shop that sold only products that appealed to foreigners and they had a whole range of wonderful tortilla chips...even 'organic' ones 'made with blue corn only' and etc and they also had a shelf full of bottled salsas...

I'd go down to the Hang Bey market and get some wonderful avocados and get the chips and salsa, mash up the avocados and add the salsa and settle down with a bag of tortilla chips and my homade guacamole and pig out...nothing further required for the rest of the evening...sublime...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know that I agree about that... I haven't used their taco shells or wraps....but Danitas' large flour tortillas are perfectly fine by my taste... It's just a flour tortilla, after all.

As for chips, at least for those around BKK, the Central Markets and at least some of the Tops Markets lately have been stocking a great brand of organic tortilla chips in several different varieties under the name "Garden of Eatin'".

They're imported from the U.S. and are a brand of the Hain Celestial Group, which is a well-known health foods company. They're selling here in 8 oz bags usually on sale for around 99 to 119 baht, and come in flavors/versions such as regular and baked, blue corn, guacamole, red hots, lime and chili, etc.

If you like chips that are full of flavor, but not greasy or oily, these are the ticket. More expensive than the usual local varieties, but worth it, IMHO, especially when Central/Tops has them on sale.

And I must not be the only one who thinks so... Because every time they're in stock and often on sale, the bags seem to fly off the store shelves quite fast.

I just hope Central/Tops keeps stocking them. I only saw them here for the first time last fall... But since then, I've seem them disappear and then restocked several times over... So I hope Central/Tops is realizing there's a market for them.

PS - The Red Hots variety are my personal favorite... a dark firm chip with lots of chil/seasoning powder laid on.

Home fresh mart brand is pretty good actually. It tastes light and not too salty. It's better than Doritos even and works when paired with chili or salsa. Danitas brand is crap. Their taco shells, wraps, and tortillas all taste like trash.

Does anyone know if Home Fresh Mart brand is available in Chiang Mai?

• 9 months later...

Danita's are indeed the best. It's very frustrating though, because in every bag I buy, half the chips are broken up into small pieces, which makes them un-dippable. It's strange that Doritos and Tostitos can ship their chips here all the way from America or Australia without a problem, but Danitas can't ship them across town without damaging the goods. But as now, there's really no other good (affordable) alternative.

On the salsa front though, El Sapo, which is made locally by an American, is just as good if not better than anything being imported, at a fraction of the price. Most Villa markets sell it. And now El Sapo is making salsa for Topp's markets, too. It's sold under the "generic" looking label called "My Choice." It's identical to El Sapo, and both are priced under 100 baht.

Danita's are the best locally made corn chips. The annoying thing is that only half the bag has chips big enough for dipping, the other half is always broken up into shreds. It's amazing that Doritos and Tostitos can ship theirs from America and Australia and breakage is minimal, but Danita's can get them across town without disintegrating them. Still the best available for the price.

For salsa, the best I've found is El Sapo, which is made locally by an American expat, and available at most Villa markets. Even better, they are now selling their same salsa in most Topp's markets under the store label "My choice." It's just as good as any imported brand (much better than most) and only a fraction of the price (under 100 baht).

Meanwhile, unfortunately, the Garden of Eatin' variety of imported chips seems to have disappeared from all the Tops and Central Markets I frequent.... Too bad because they were quite good and often on sale for 99 or 119b per bag. Admittedly higher priced than Danitas, but offering baked regular and blue corn varieties and various other specialty flavors.