Thai (Domestic) Excess Baggage?

andiwilson

Has anyone flown Thai Airways on a domestic flight with excess baggage recently? I was wondering what the charges would be if I had 15kg too much.

Most airline websites have facilities to pre book an extra bag, United will charge me $70 for the international leg of my journey, but I couldn't see anything on the Thai website.

When I travel with 30kgs+ I book business class domestic thai (flying non-Thai to BKK), checked in 50kgs, no questions asked.

less than 30kgs never had issues at domestic Thai check-in.

Had a cheapo domestic Air Asia ticket two weeks ago, bought 30kgs bag allowance at booking time, traveled into BKK with 43kgs, went to the post office at the very right hand of departure floor, put 15kgs into 2 post boxes and paid 180 baht, boxes arrived home 3 days later

Edited by tartempion

It used to be some complex calculation based on the full economy fare (Y); like 1% per kilogram. Based on that 15 Kg excess on BKK-CNX might be 600 baht. You should contact TG, maybe in the U.S. (if you are based there now), to get a feel for any excess baggage fees.

Maybe look at joining TG ROP FF program, maybe they give extra allowances to base members? Also look at the delta for business class, which would increase your allowance.

There are reports that TG is forgiving on domestic routes, but in the 8 - 10 Kg over range.

When I travel with 30kgs+ I book business class domestic thai (flying non-Thai to BKK), checked in 50kgs, no questions asked.

less than 30kgs never had issues at domestic Thai check-in.

Had a cheapo domestic Air Asia ticket two weeks ago, bought 30kgs bag allowance at booking time, traveled into BKK with 43kgs, went to the post office at the very right hand of departure floor, put 15kgs into 2 post boxes and paid 180 baht, boxes arrived home 3 days later

Thanks for your reply. The post office idea is excellent but I'm arriving Christmas day with bags full of Christmas presents.

It used to be some complex calculation based on the full economy fare (Y); like 1% per kilogram. Based on that 15 Kg excess on BKK-CNX might be 600 baht. You should contact TG, maybe in the U.S. (if you are based there now), to get a feel for any excess baggage fees.

Maybe look at joining TG ROP FF program, maybe they give extra allowances to base members? Also look at the delta for business class, which would increase your allowance.

There are reports that TG is forgiving on domestic routes, but in the 8 - 10 Kg over range.

Thanks for your help. Looked at the FF option but no luck there. I'm going to call them and ask. I wonder if upgrading to business is an option? The current price difference between what I paid for my economy ticket and the business fare is $56 which I could live with. Business class would give me an allowance of 30kg and two bags so if I was a little over this?

Yes, sending EMS through the post office is a very inexpensive, and quick alternative. Also, I fly bangkok air a lot, and use their cargo. have sent as much as 100kg at one time. costs about 8-14 baht per kilo, depending on destination, and arrives same day. Very easy deal. Cargo is about 1km from the main terminal, around the corner from the big, round thai air offices. Great solution, and it feels good to not allow the airlines to scam me out of a lot of cash.

Some excellent tips spidermike. Unfortunately I land at 23:40 on Christmas Eve and fly north at 07:05 and the bags must arrive with me at the Christmas party.

I've tried calling Thai Airways to upgrade my ticket but they don't work Sunday in the USA. There are two business seats left on the flight, I can only hope there is still one tomorrow.

I looked at posting from here but the costs and the chance of being stung by import taxes put me off. Plus of course I'm a guy so I haven't finished buying all the presents yet.

Yes, sending EMS through the post office is a very inexpensive, and quick alternative. Also, I fly bangkok air a lot, and use their cargo. have sent as much as 100kg at one time. costs about 8-14 baht per kilo, depending on destination, and arrives same day. Very easy deal. Cargo is about 1km from the main terminal, around the corner from the big, round thai air offices. Great solution, and it feels good to not allow the airlines to scam me out of a lot of cash.

Are you on a single ticket; XXX-NRT-BKK-XXX? What is your final destination? How many checked bags will you have in total? Do you have any status with UA or any Star Alliance member?

Maybe just plan on paying an excess baggage fees when you check in with TG on Christmas morn?

You shouldn't pack any valuables in your checked bags nor should you wrap any presents.

Are you on a single ticket; XXX-NRT-BKK-XXX? What is your final destination? How many checked bags will you have in total? Do you have any status with UA or any Star Alliance member?

Maybe just plan on paying an excess baggage fees when you check in with TG on Christmas morn?

You shouldn't pack any valuables in your checked bags nor should you wrap any presents.

Some good tips on packing there, anything valuable will be in my carry on.

I will have to pay the $70 for an extra bag for the Houston to Bangkok journey. There is no FF membership going to help me there. This is the first part of a return journey and I will have two checked bags.

The Bangkok to Khon Kaen leg is a separate ticket. I don't mind paying the excess within reason but you hear horror stories about amounts charged which is why I'm trying to get information.

Edited by andiwilson

Some good tips on packing there, anything valuable will be in my carry on.

I will have to pay the $70 for an extra bag for the Houston to Bangkok journey. There is no FF membership going to help me there. This is the first part of a return journey and I will have two checked bags.

The Bangkok to Khon Kaen leg is a separate ticket. I don't mind paying the excess within reason but you hear horror stories about amounts charged which is why I'm trying to get information.

If you upgrade you also can use the domestic lounge....free breakfast.

It is disappointing that they couldn't tell your their schedule for excess baggage fees on domestic sectors. I might push back on that, trying different contact points.

FWIW, I would not use the term "upgrade" as this will only confuse everyone. You really want to have your existing ticket re-issued in Business Class. Typically when you buy up they waive any fees/charges for ticket changes and reissues but this may have changed? It looks like there are both Flex (3,845 baht) and Full Flex (4,510 baht) (one-way) for BKK-KKC on 25 Dec (TG 40 at 07:05).

My best guess is that any excess baggage fee (for the stated 15 Kg overage) on this sector would be no more than 1,000 baht.

It is disappointing that they couldn't tell your their schedule for excess baggage fees on domestic sectors. I might push back on that, trying different contact points.

FWIW, I would not use the term "upgrade" as this will only confuse everyone. You really want to have your existing ticket re-issued in Business Class. Typically when you buy up they waive any fees/charges for ticket changes and reissues but this may have changed? It looks like there are both Flex (3,845 baht) and Full Flex (4,510 baht) (one-way) for BKK-KKC on 25 Dec (TG 40 at 07:05).

My best guess is that any excess baggage fee (for the stated 15 Kg overage) on this sector would be no more than 1,000 baht.

You are quite correct sir up grade was not the best term I could of used.

You may well be correct about the excess charge of 1000 baht for the 15kg but if I can just about cover this by paying around 1500 to fly business then I'm quite happy.

I recently had to clear customs & immigration in BKK, then check-in again upstairs for TG to Chiang Mai, because Jet Airways didn't have an interline-agreement with Thai. Should have flown Bangkok Airways, who do have an agreement, and my bags would have gone all-the-way to CNX !

Traveling with 31 kgs (Jet's ticket had allowed me 28 kgs) on the international-flight, Thai Airways Domestic Check-In were still happy to let me load up-to 30 kgs hold-luggage on their domestic flight, because I'd just arrived off an international-flight, but they did ask me to take my two carry-ons (plus one Duty-Free bag of books/sweets) as carry-on. They were helpful & understanding , and didn't ask to weigh the carry-ons, which together were perhaps 15 kgs more !

My general impression/experience is that they do understand and accept, many international-arrivals connecting off other airlines, may have more than the standard 20 kgs of hold-luggage printed on your ticket with them. I feel this makes them worth the extra cost, compared to Air Asia or Nok Air.

Based on that, I'd say the OP should be OK on Thai to Khon Kaen with 30-ish kgs in his hold-luggage, and a couple of carry-on bags with the rest, as long as they're not obviously too big/heavy.

Good Luck & Merry Christmas ! :rolleyes:

I recently had to clear customs & immigration in BKK, then check-in again upstairs for TG to Chiang Mai, because Jet Airways didn't have an interline-agreement with Thai. Should have flown Bangkok Airways, who do have an agreement, and my bags would have gone all-the-way to CNX !

Traveling with 31 kgs (Jet's ticket had allowed me 28 kgs) on the international-flight, Thai Airways Domestic Check-In were still happy to let me load up-to 30 kgs hold-luggage on their domestic flight, because I'd just arrived off an international-flight, but they did ask me to take my two carry-ons (plus one Duty-Free bag of books/sweets) as carry-on. They were helpful & understanding , and didn't ask to weigh the carry-ons, which together were perhaps 15 kgs more !

My general impression/experience is that they do understand and accept, many international-arrivals connecting off other airlines, may have more than the standard 20 kgs of hold-luggage printed on your ticket with them. I feel this makes them worth the extra cost, compared to Air Asia or Nok Air.

Based on that, I'd say the OP should be OK on Thai to Khon Kaen with 30-ish kgs in his hold-luggage, and a couple of carry-on bags with the rest, as long as they're not obviously too big/heavy.

Good Luck & Merry Christmas ! :rolleyes:

As Khon Kaen is not an international airport I'm pretty sure it is not possible for my bags to be checked through to my destination.

The bags I want placed in the hold are rather large and probably wouldn't fit through the scanners at security and certainly wouldn't fit in an overhead bin on an aircraft.

Still no phone call from Thai Airways on the cost of changing my ticket for business or the email they promised me. I shall call again tomorrow.

Thank you for your Christmas wishes, the same to you and your family.

Thai Airways finally called me back and have changed my ticket to Business Class.

I shall ask at check in on the 25th what the charge for and extra bag of 15kg would have been and post the answer for future travelers.

Thank you to everyone who took time to try to help me.

Thai Airways finally called me back and have changed my ticket to Business Class.

I shall ask at check in on the 25th what the charge for and extra bag of 15kg would have been and post the answer for future travelers.

I would advise you NOT to ask anything, just check in at the business counter.

I usually check in with 40+kgs, last time I bought business had 50kgs :unsure:.

Clerk asked "you come from international flight?"

Replied "yes", but it was obvious: the airline luggage tags she had to remove...

Last Thai economy flight had 32kgs, no comments made.

Any idea how much kgs you will travel with?

You could also move a few kgs to handluggage if you would run into problems, but I very much doubt that will happen.

And relax at the domestic Thai business lounge, have breakfast.

I would advise you NOT to ask anything, just check in at the business counter.

I usually check in with 40+kgs, last time I bought business had 50kgs :unsure:.

Clerk asked "you come from international flight?"

Replied "yes", but it was obvious: the airline luggage tags she had to remove...

Last Thai economy flight had 32kgs, no comments made.

Any idea how much kgs you will travel with?

You could also move a few kgs to handluggage if you would run into problems, but I very much doubt that will happen.

And relax at the domestic Thai business lounge, have breakfast.

I shall have four bags, laptop bag, maximum size carry on case of 12/15 kg and two bags to check in of 20 and 15 kg. The carry on bag will be bursting at the seams and transferring stuff to it will not be an option.

As you say coming from an international flight I don't think they will worry about 5kg.

The only reason I was worried about this is it is on Christmas day and I don't have time for things to go wrong if I'm to play surprise Santa for my wife and kids.

I will ask how much excess baggage cost on economy domestic flights but not until I'm fully checked in and my bags are off down the conveyor.

I have in the past had bother checking in with too much baggage. Eva Air wanted to charge me €500 for 10 kg. In that case I knew a small bag was 10 kg so I left it in the left luggage lockers down stairs in Schiphol and returned to check in. I retrieved the bag went through passport control into duty free and asked for two large carrier bags in which I hid my extra carry on luggage.

When I called Thai Airways about changing my ticket I was promised that they would call back the next day and email me. I asked that the call be after 2pm, Pacific Time as that is the time zone their office is in, as I am a nightshift worker. They were almost 2 days late returning my call and woke me up by calling at 10am PT. Again I was promised an email but non has arrived. I used the Amadeus code to check the booking and all is well but I'm not impressed with their customer service.

• 4 weeks later...

I have in the past had bother checking in with too much baggage. Eva Air wanted to charge me €500 for 10 kg. In that case I knew a small bag was 10 kg so I left it in the left luggage lockers down stairs in Schiphol and returned to check in. I retrieved the bag went through passport control into duty free and asked for two large carrier bags in which I hid my extra carry on luggage.

Ah, the old "I bought it in Duty-Free" ploy, works for me with a tin of chocs & books or music-CDs/film-DVDs ! wai.gif

The Thai FF card is OK if you have a Silver one

Not the one you get the day before you leave.

The Silver card gives you 30KG.

A cary on laptop bag doesn't count in your cary on allowence (same as a ladies handbag)

Going Thai from Sydney have only had my cary on weighted once in 20 trips.

I think if you come from an international flight straight to domistic there is no problem.

aussiep