Palestinian demonstrator injured during West Bank protest dies

News_Editor

Palestinian demonstrator injured during West Bank protest dies

2011-12-11 02:52:38 GMT+7 (ICT)

RAMALLAH (BNO NEWS) -- A Palestinian protester who was seriously injured during a weekly protest in the West Bank village of Nabi Saleh on Friday has died of his injuries, the Palestine News and Information Agency (WAFA) reported on Saturday.

Mustafa Tamimi, 27, was hit in the face with a tear gas canister fired by an Israeli soldier on Friday during the weekly protest held in the West Bank village. He was tranferred to an Israeli hospital near Tel Aviv, where he died of his injuries, a family member told WAFA.

A statement released by 'Stop the Wall Campaign', a coalition of Palestinian nongovernmental organizations, said residents of Nabi Saleh were protesting while the UN Special Rapporteur for the Freedom of Assembly was visiting the village. It said Tamimi had lost a large amount of blood before being transferred by car to a hospital in Ramallah, about 30 kilometers (19 miles) away.

But the coalition alleged that the ambulance had been stopped at the Nabi Saleh checkpoint by Israeli forces for 30 minutes before he was airlifted to the hospital. According to the statement, six more people were injured after Israeli forces fired rubber bullets and tear gas canisters, while dozens of people suffered from tear gas suffocation.

WAFA cited the coalition as saying that the people of the village attacked an Israeli military tower in response to the incident. Nabi Saleh, where approximately 500 people live, is located near the Israeli settlement of Halamish.

Nabi Saleh residents claim that in 2008, Halamish settlers seized control of several water springs which were located on their land. In December 2009, residents began weekly demonstrations in opposition to the annexing of the fresh water springs and village land.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-11

I f someone stole my water supply, I'd protest as well. I note that nowhere in the report does it say that the protest was not peaceful, yet still the Israeli forces attack the Palestinians, even when a UN official was present,. Deliberately stopping the ambulance carrying the injured protester, must be considered a major factor in his death. It is hardly surprising that the Palestinians attacked the Israeli military tower, after they were first attacked by the Israeli forces. Yet another family grieves for a victim of Israeli atrocities. :angry:

Going to just nip this in the bud right now, to save mods alot of time and energy and members getting suspended.

Most people who engage in these threads have difficulty remaining civil, so its closed