Where I Can Learn To Drive A Motorbike ?

JohanBKK

Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki all offer beginner riding courses. Ask a dealer to find out when the next one will take place.

Additionally there is a riding school (Ho Racing) at the Bangkok Racing Circuit (BRC) located behind the Seacon Square mall off Srinakarin road. No english instruction, but Khun Ho is an excellent teacher all the same and does riding clinics all over Asia. Give him a call- 0891824787

Tell him Tony sent you mebbe you have to pay more! :lol:

HST at BIRA offers track clinics but isn't really designed for beginners.

Ride On!

Tony

This is Thailand, why do you want to learn to ride a motorbike? just get on it!!

(THIS IS A BAD ATTEMPT AT A JOKE!!)

Maybe an attempted joke but why not? If the OP can ride an automatic scooter, getting onto a proper motorbike isn't much of a change. I started on scooters shifted to geared bikes and now back to a scooter for convenience, no lessons and still alive 10 years on...............so far!!

It's not really that difficult of a shift for me to go from scooter to a 'real' bike. Granted I stalled a couple of time with not knowing where the slipping point if for the clutch or forgetting to shift down (being in too high a gear!). IMHOP you should just get a 2nd hand 125-150cc bike to learn on, find a nice open area. If you're in bangkok good luck unless you live in a housing compound which is perfect, little/no traffic to worry about.

I literally youtubed on how to ride a bike. Plenty of decent clips on it, just beware that some of those clips were done with larger bikes and will have enough power to roll forward without throttle movement, small bikes will stall. :blink:

So, watch youtubes, grab a bike and go.

Have fun, good luck

On a recent trip to Chiang Mai, and after riding up the Mountain on a Click, I also thought I would like to try a bigger bike in the future.

I rented the Click from Tony's big bike and mentioned to Tony about where to get instruction on bigger bikes, and his shop offers this.

Have not taken up the service yet, but I will when I have the time to spend a bit longer in Chiang Mai

17 Ratchamankha Rd. (Tel: 053207124) or PM 'Pikey' on Thai Visa

cheers

My goal is to buy a harley or a chopper, so i really need to learn. And i will look very stupid in the shop buying a harley if i don't even know how to use it.

Even taking a short course you'll be a way better rider much quicker than just "jumping on it". You will be able to get from A to B just doing it, but you will have more fun, be quicker, and be safer if you actually know how to ride.

You've got the right idea there...

Edited by nikster

I learned to drive my 1100 cc on the streets of south pattaya.

It was much harder to learn to drive the 125 cc, because it didn't have a clutch, and the gears was un-natural (only going down, as opposed to one down , rest up),

not to mention the complete lack of adherence to a set of rules here.

The only thing on two wheels i had drive before was 50/70 cc when i was a boy

Edited by poanoi

If you have a choice,always learn in a safe environment from skilled teachers.

Doing slow speed slalems through witches hats is safer and more confidence building than weaving in and out of Thailand traffic.

Learning to do controlled panic stops using both brakes is far better at a school than waiting for somtam in his pickup to cross your path on the open road.

Never send a man to war without at least basic training.

• Like 1

Some good films on WannabeMC.com a lot of it is obvious but there are a host of good tips on there for a learner.

Yes, this wannabe-guys have a great site. Everyone should bookmark them and visit them frequently ;)

Sorry, but where are this films? I cant find them. Thanks.

Edited by wantan

I learned to drive my 1100 cc on the streets of south pattaya.

It was much harder to learn to drive the 125 cc, because it didn't have a clutch, and the gears was un-natural (only going down, as opposed to one down , rest up),

not to mention the complete lack of adherence to a set of rules here.

The only thing on two wheels i had drive before was 50/70 cc when i was a boy

Unless you own a Triumph :rolleyes:

Hi Wantan

Searched the site and you are right, they ain't there anymore. Google MC training films and you are spoiled for choice. There are a lot on there from the British Police (Rozzers, Filth, Old Bill etc) I am sure that there will be some suitable for a learner.

Cheers

Chris

JohanBKK, I can give you first hand fresh experience here.

Basically shifted to BKK 4 months ago . Always loved bikes but never driven anything but a scooter.

Bought an almost brand new cbr250rr straight away and ventured out on the streets of Bangkok... busy roads teach you traffic awareness but only if you are a reasonably alert and anticipating driver .

Then bought a 1991 NC29 CBR400RR in Phuket which was the biggest learning curve... it flies and the roads from Kata through to Rawaii are great to thrown the bike around and teach cornering etc etc.

Then bought a Yamaha FZ1 in Chiang Mai and this is where my learning really started.... went out with very experienced GT Rider member whom I bought the bike off and just talking about cornering, stopping and general riding technique and then following him through glorous roads has been both steepest learning curve and best fun I've had since.. since... well ever.

Nothing but nothing makes up for time on the bike, if you get a bike get on it at every stage, arrange to meet other riders and go for rides, their knowledge and willingness to help is the best school.. go find Lotus/ Big C car park at night and practice slow turns, backing the back into parking space, hard stops.... you'll look like a loon to any passer by but it is great experience.

Watch a few riding training videos on the net.. I know this doesn't sound like it works but it gets you thinking and also introduces concepts to you that you can practice on the road.

I aslo recommend you watch a few of the many videos on the net that show accidents in real life ( not the moto GP ones). Analyse these.. why did the accident happen.. given circumstances what would you do if it was you riding to have prevented the acciudent. I kid you not.. there is one video where an idiot overtakes a bus on a blind corner and basically crashes into an oncoming bike.... I had the same experience on Samoeng loop the other day and the video jumped straight into my mind and yep you guessed it, round the corner cam a lorry right on the lines.

I've had a few scares... car the other day on 108 back to CM from Chaing Dao turned right in front of me.. I swear it was only a coat of paint between him and me... easy to say that bloody idiot but in reality it was me who was the idiot as i thought he could see me and would not proceed with his U turn.... I should of ridden more defensively.. Riding up to Phrao virtually second ride on the FZ1 I went into a RH sweeping corner too hot and ended up across the lines with car coming the other way... basically I locked up and froze and didn't get the bike leaning correctly... stopped in Phrao still shaking but then got back on road on the Chiang Dao bit and really concentrated on getting entry and exit to corner right and getting right gear , right speed and nice amount of lean.

Two days ago on Samoeng loop with gf on back on a hairpin downhill there was like a BBQ grate on road right at apex of corner... braking in the front tyre just started the grate sliding over the road and I started to go down.. let loose the brakes and momentum carried me on with no danger. Did stop to pick up the grate an hurl it into the bush.... I hope there is no farmer out there with a grate embedded in his back courtesy of my frisbee throw of it .

Do the courses as suggested.. Im going to go to Bira and try out but if you really want to learn IMHO nothing but nothing beats time on the bike and talking to those who have been doing it for years.

Good luck, happy to help in any way as I know where you are thing wise.

Most of the folks here and on GT Rider are only too happy to help .

Good luck... as one advanced rider told me.. don't get carried away or you will get carried away,

Basically shifted to BKK 4 months ago . Always loved bikes but never driven anything but a scooter.

Bought an almost brand new cbr250rr straight away and ventured out on the streets of Bangkok... busy roads teach you traffic awareness but only if you are a reasonably alert and anticipating driver .

Then bought a 1991 NC29 CBR400RR in Phuket which was the biggest learning curve... it flies and the roads from Kata through to Rawaii are great to thrown the bike around and teach cornering etc etc.

Then bought a Yamaha FZ1 in Chiang Mai and this is where my learning really started.... went out with very experienced GT Rider member whom I bought the bike off and just talking about cornering, stopping and general riding technique and then following him through glorous roads has been both steepest learning curve and best fun I've had since.. since... well ever.

Nothing but nothing makes up for time on the bike, if you get a bike get on it at every stage, arrange to meet other riders and go for rides, their knowledge and willingness to help is the best school.. go find Lotus/ Big C car park at night and practice slow turns, backing the back into parking space, hard stops.... you'll look like a loon to any passer by but it is great experience.

Watch a few riding training videos on the net.. I know this doesn't sound like it works but it gets you thinking and also introduces concepts to you that you can practice on the road.

I aslo recommend you watch a few of the many videos on the net that show accidents in real life ( not the moto GP ones). Analyse these.. why did the accident happen.. given circumstances what would you do if it was you riding to have prevented the acciudent. I kid you not.. there is one video where an idiot overtakes a bus on a blind corner and basically crashes into an oncoming bike.... I had the same experience on Samoeng loop the other day and the video jumped straight into my mind and yep you guessed it, round the corner cam a lorry right on the lines.

I've had a few scares... car the other day on 108 back to CM from Chaing Dao turned right in front of me.. I swear it was only a coat of paint between him and me... easy to say that bloody idiot but in reality it was me who was the idiot as i thought he could see me and would not proceed with his U turn.... I should of ridden more defensively.. Riding up to Phrao virtually second ride on the FZ1 I went into a RH sweeping corner too hot and ended up across the lines with car coming the other way... basically I locked up and froze and didn't get the bike leaning correctly... stopped in Phrao still shaking but then got back on road on the Chiang Dao bit and really concentrated on getting entry and exit to corner right and getting right gear , right speed and nice amount of lean.

Two days ago on Samoeng loop with gf on back on a hairpin downhill there was like a BBQ grate on road right at apex of corner... braking in the front tyre just started the grate sliding over the road and I started to go down.. let loose the brakes and momentum carried me on with no danger. Did stop to pick up the grate an hurl it into the bush.... I hope there is no farmer out there with a grate embedded in his back courtesy of my frisbee throw of it .

Do the courses as suggested.. Im going to go to Bira and try out but if you really want to learn IMHO nothing but nothing beats time on the bike and talking to those who have been doing it for years.

Good luck... as one advanced rider told me.. don't get carried away or you will get carried away,

Monty, so many "incidents "in such a short time span would have me questioning whether there was a problem with either my technique or attitude.

A few years ago our Bike club in Oz decided to arrange a "refresher" weekend on a disused race track with a well known school.

I had been riding big bikes over 30 years and others far longer,so I and many others thought we knew it all,we were in for a surprise.

I was mounted on my Honda ST1100 and by the end of the weekend they had helped me halve my controlled stopping distance in panic stops from 60 kph and 90 kph.

That knowledge alone saved my bacon a couple of times in later years.

At the initial assembly at the start of the course,the head instructor asked everybody a question,to be answered at the end of the course.

The question was ,"which way do you turn your handlebars to enter a right hand corner at touring speed."?

I wonder what forum members would answer. :whistling:

Monty, so many "incidents "in such a short time span would have me questioning whether there was a problem with either my technique or attitude.

A few years ago our Bike club in Oz decided to arrange a "refresher" weekend on a disused race track with a well known school.

I had been riding big bikes over 30 years and others far longer,so I and many others thought we knew it all,we were in for a surprise.

I was mounted on my Honda ST1100 and by the end of the weekend they had helped me halve my controlled stopping distance in panic stops from 60 kph and 90 kph.

At the initial assembly at the start of the course,the head instructor asked everybody a question,to be answered at the end of the course.

The question was ,"which way do you turn your handlebars to enter a right hand corner at touring speed."?

Hi Ozzydom not so much incidents as experiences... been riding pertty solidly every day I can so would expect to have some of these but yes you are correct on the one where the guy turned in front of me, as sated I should have been more defensive in my style... one of those situations where you see him you think " he's seen me" and he stops and then starts coming again.....

I was told of the timed stop within the lines test the other day....looks like I might be setting up a few lines at Tesco one night and give it a whirl.

Im game to try and answer the question as posed... my answer is you don't.. at touring speed handlebars remain straight at all times and you lean/ countersteer on direction of corner with eyes looking through, weight up the pegs and use throttle/ lean combination to achieve desired cornering.

Cheers

Hi Ozzydom not so much incidents as experiences... been riding pertty solidly every day I can so would expect to have some of these but yes you are correct on the one where the guy turned in front of me, as sated I should have been more defensive in my style... one of those situations where you see him you think " he's seen me" and he stops and then starts coming again.....

I was told of the timed stop within the lines test the other day....looks like I might be setting up a few lines at Tesco one night and give it a whirl.

Im game to try and answer the question as posed... my answer is you don't.. at touring speed handlebars remain straight at all times and you lean/ countersteer on direction of corner with eyes looking through, weight up the pegs and use throttle/ lean combination to achieve desired cornering.

Cheers

Sort of right monty ,Even though you dont realise you are doing it,you initially counter steer to set the bike leaning into a corner, in the corner the steering follows the lean angle and stays straight ,so the tighter the corner the more lean to follow the tighter radius.

By the way, only about 10% of our members got it right.Staggering that people ride for so long without realising the dynamics of their actions (I was one of the 90 %) :unsure:

Trick question. The answer is left. But you don't actually turn the handlebars, you push down on the right bar and voila the bike turns right.

Back to the original question:

Two friends:

One learned to ride on a Harley trip before he bought his bike.

The second friend told me of a story of a guy who bought a Harley and joined a club and on a ride out of Phuket arrived at a corner and not having either enough courage or skill went straight off the road into a bridge. Not dead apparently but unconscious at the scene, bike was toast.

2nd guy's advice buy a smaller bike first and get used to riding before contemplating anything bigger like a Harley.

When you have the smaller bike you can ride to Kang Kechang (spelling) and do some track time which will be well spent. learning the limits of the bike etc without worry of on coming traffic.

Cheers

Sort of right monty ,Even though you dont realise you are doing it,you initially counter steer to set the bike leaning into a corner, in the corner the steering follows the lean angle and stays straight ,so the tighter the corner the more lean to follow the tighter radius.

By the way, only about 10% of our members got it right.Staggering that people ride for so long without realising the dynamics of their actions (I was one of the 90 %) :unsure:

How very honest of you.... interestingly one experienced rider told me to also weight up the inner peg as well where someone whom I believe is a very experienced talented rider told me to forget any weight distribution bias on bike .i.e weighting up inner peg or sliding over on seat as it just unsettles you from a stability point of view and that those tactis are more akin to a fast track corner where you have knee down.

It is interesting to watch the cornering style of the great riders, Casey Stoner probably lays his bike over more than any rider I have seen, there is a photo circulating of him cornering at speed with both his knee and elbow sliding on the track.

Whereas I had the pleasure of seeing the great 6 time world champ Jim Redman racing in my home town in the early 60,s on the Honda 250 RC 164 .

He used to near dismount and bum slide through corners ,but the bike was kept a lot more upright than modern racers.

Different technique same result .

Yeah well !! For the OP probably learn to ride a Honda Phantom first then work yourself up to a Harley, hope you have strong legs.:D

The bike Casey rides ain't nothing like a road Harley, a 250RC ain't nothing like a RCV211.

Edited by Kwasaki

Yeah well !! For the OP probably learn to ride a Honda Phantom first then work yourself up to a Harley, hope you have strong legs.:D

The bike Casey rides ain't nothing like a road Harley, a 250RC ain't nothing like a RCV211.

I dare say that tyre profile and composition had a bit to do with the different styles. :rolleyes:

It is interesting to watch the cornering style of the great riders, Casey Stoner probably lays his bike over more than any rider I have seen, there is a photo circulating of him cornering at speed with both his knee and elbow sliding on the track.

Whereas I had the pleasure of seeing the great 6 time world champ Jim Redman racing in my home town in the early 60,s on the Honda 250 RC 164 .

He used to near dismount and bum slide through corners ,but the bike was kept a lot more upright than modern racers.

Yes there is article in MCN comparing Doohan and Syoner and picture of Stoner cornering at extreme angle.. amzing.. of course tyres he has on are asymmetric but even so that lad can get the bike over.. will try

and paste

Yes there is article in MCN comparing Doohan and Syoner and picture of Stoner cornering at extreme angle.. amzing.. of course tyres he has on are asymmetric but even so that lad can get the bike over.. will try

and paste

This is quite weird... as posted the photo doesnt show up.. hit reply to the thread and it does....